19 (edited by David 2006-05-16 19:12:12)

Re: Studio vs. Live?

I was just thinking of some songs that are so much better live. Like the live version of "Smoke On The Water" and especially the live version of "Do You Feel Like We Do". And if anybody has ever listened to the studio versions of Judas Priest songs and then heard them live - what a difference.

Well I have to add I actually DO find some fun in a rote-for-note performance studio-to-the stage...sometimes!  some somewhat recent past shows have included Yes performing 'Close To the Edge" in it's entirety, WITH Rick Wakeman. I thoroughly loved it. The Eagles, who took more takes on a SINGLE TRACK (and I mean one single song, one single track on a 16 or 24 track tape) than I've taken whizzes in my life, their sound takes on a certain excitement to me...Perhaps it's because I AM Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy" and just love music, but I can understand how some would be less than impressed...although bands that can replicate sound 30+ or like "Pet Sounds Live" 30++ years later, I stand or sit in awe. But a good bar band can be extrememly exciting with NO CD released and NO live mix taking place!  Joe sounds good wherever and whenever (that includes when you've been sick Joe) and an overly produced album may be an impossibility for him no matter how many tracks or instruments (or what they are) or style (no matter what it is) or months in the studio (or how much composition and/or experimentation while recording), or how many years between releases....I think he just has that rarity we used to call "golden ears", which has today seemingly faded to less significance to some in favor of dirty green hands from stuff in one's pocketbook that isn't mold...

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

To me, it seems like Joe's live shows get better and better every time he plays. I like the studio stuff, but the live shows to me add a spark that the cd's are missing. The cd's are great, it's just the songs have a different feel live. Joe's new band is amazing, and they seem very tight... can't wait til I  see them this summer.

I've seen tons of bands/shows, and each band has a different personality. In general, I prefer live shows above the studio versions. Some groups seem to be better studio bands, whether it's because of not being able to replicate the studio version "smoke and mirrors" or whatever. I've only walked out of one show (Bad Company), but there are a few others where I was tempted.
Joe is one of a short stack of artists that (for me) are outstanding in the studio but really need to be heard live to grasp the true level of their talents.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Joe is so good live because he has an endless flow of new ideas brewing all the time.

Joe's improvisational guitar work is why us fans can go to show after show and still be blown away.

I usually prefer a more stripped down version of any particular Rock or Blues/Rock CD. As opposed to an over-produced one.

I love the way 'Takin' The Hit' has evolved from the original CD version.