Topic: Do y'all want a Miami Review?

The smoov one wants ta know!

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

2 (edited by the dude 2009-11-08 21:38:52)

Re: Do y'all want a Miami Review?

Lay it on us, Doctor Funkadelic!

bigjeffjones wrote:

The smoov one wants ta know!

Of course we do, you nut.  Let's hear it. cool

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

Hit me, Funky D, hit me.....

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Well?  We're waiting......

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Bad, bad BJJ!! Consider yourself cyberslapped! I've half a mind to tell Ms. Tia. You know I'm immune to guilt. Now you can add begging to that list. You are now known as Big Tease Jeff. So Brair Rabbit, Mr. Man, please don't tell me anything about the show. Nope, don't want to know. I would like to blues your bottom!!   Double, double, toil and trouble.....where's my cauldron?..........C

Not really, but come Fri. I'll sse if Dr. Funkapotamus wants me to regurgitate the Hollywood HOB show.............NOT!!!!! I'll just leave that up to Lil' Bit, after all she does it soooooooo much betta'.

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

OK I'm back and me ol skinny arse is dragging... sad

Big surprise.  The Gusman Hall was way more crowded than I expected it to be.  big_smile

Set List was the same...if memory serves:

Ballad of John Henry
Last Kiss
So Many Roads
So Its Like That
If Heartaches were Nickels
Further on Up the Road
Sloe Gin
Lonesome Road Blues
Happier Times
Bridge to Better Days
Had to Cry Today
Great Flood
Woke up Dreaming
Mountain Time
****Encore****
Ball Peen Hammer
Just got Paid

The acoustics were insanely good.  The band was LOUD but complete definition & separation were the rule rather than the exception.  Nice job mixing.  I saw some really old (er than me) couple there.  I never saw them flinch.  They liked it. cool

The first six tunes were just a powerhouse of non-stop, modern day, push the edges in all directions, blues done in a way that is all Joe and only Joe.  Man, he can play.  I even jeard a little section that caught me by surprise...a Black Sabbath riff?  Did I hear what I think I heard?

Joe is a bluesman.  His lights and production and that Gibson/Marshall roar is a gut punch like a hard rock show.  It occured to me that in a perfect storm, Joe is the lightning and the boys are the thunder.

Bridge To Better Days begins a hard rocking  turn with another funk overload intro.  I just love that.  Had To Cry Today is an Old Rock song but even that gets the TREATMENT. 

My disclaimer here is simply this.  Even though I recognize the genius of Steve Winwood, this is not my favorite tune of his, or Traffic's.  Carmine puts a special twist and feel on this tune and Joe just beats it into complete submission...I'm glad they do it.   Nice change-up.

I really listen to what each and every one of the musicians are doing.  Occupational Hazard, I reckon. lol  Rick adds so much.

But those tom tom war drums brought in The Great Flood and I was back in 2009, again.  They make me feel a disturbance in the force.  Joe just sings that song like it's the end of the world.

Woke Up Dreaming gets it's own variation of Flamenco with those Arabesque (Gypsy?  Greek?) scales and as usual I could look around the room and see which people were guitarists in the audience.  They were all sniffling and shaking their heads and giving it up to Glory...from dumfounded to weeping in just a few minutes.  heh heh.  Take that you wankers.  wink

MountainTime is another one of those soulful weepers.  Simply Awesome.

The encore ripped all the paint off the walls and nobody could remain seated.  Joe had us in the palm of his hands.  Yes the Zep segue was there and Jimmy Page (wherever he is) felt clammy for a moment.

I made it 244 miles in less than 4 hours on the way down to Miami.  I made it back today in 3.5 hours exactly.  Do NOT try this at home. 

Had a fantastic hang with Bogie.  He's like my lil bro... or sumpn... Rick joined us for his version of an 8 minute dinner and Carmine was out and about.

We walked back to the gig then.  I "ushered" in that Olympia Theatre when I was much younger.  I was walking around just sucking it all in.  Evidently they just spent 4 mil renovating that place.  It's very much like the Jax theater...only plusher.

Much to their credit the road crew handled the lunatic chaos involved with it being the last gig in this part of the world, this part of the tour, with aplomb.  It was a little bit chaotic.  Just a lil inside glimpse.  Certainly invisible to the rest of the world.  So respect to all road dogs.  and Thanks for working so hard! 

I was surrounded by a bevy of beauties before the night was over roll but I was a good boy and went up to my room and crashed...alone.  I'm really getting old.

So in conclusion; Joe never needs to worry about filling up that hall again.  Miami awaits your return, Kemosabe.

MuchLove
MuchSmoov lol
BJJ

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

cathysiler wrote:

Bad, bad BJJ!! Consider yourself cyberslapped! I've half a mind to tell Ms. Tia. You know I'm immune to guilt. Now you can add begging to that list. You are now known as Big Tease Jeff. So Brair Rabbit, Mr. Man, please don't tell me anything about the show. Nope, don't want to know. I would like to blues your bottom!!   Double, double, toil and trouble.....where's my cauldron?..........C

LOL more like bubble bubble toilet trouble... tongue
I guess I was writing it while you were chastising me. I just loves that lol

BJJ

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Not really, but come Fri. I'll sse if Dr. Funkapotamus wants me to regurgitate the Hollywood HOB show.............NOT!!!!! I'll just leave that up to Lil' Bit, after all she does it soooooooo much betta'.

lol  Dr Funkapotamus?? lol

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Thanks Jeff, lovely stuff! A really good read! cool

But what I really want to know is, if you did this on four wheels or two? tongue

bigjeffjones wrote:

I made it 244 miles in less than 4 hours on the way down to Miami.  I made it back today in 3.5 hours exactly.  Do NOT try this at home.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:

Thanks Jeff, lovely stuff! A really good read! cool

But what I really want to know is, if you did this on four wheels or two? tongue

bigjeffjones wrote:

4 wheels , mate...my Town Car.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Great review Jeff, thanks for sharing. It has whet my appetite! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

14 (edited by Icon 2009-11-09 17:59:39)

Jeff - you made it feel like I was there - great review.

Was " Heartaches Were Nickels" the acoustic version from LFNIP or are we back to electric now?
Hope it stays in the set when the guys head over here at the end of the month - I've not heard either version live before but it's a great song, and one of Mrs Icons favourites.
And "Bridge" is back too!

Ian

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Icon wrote:

Jeff - you made it feel like I was there - great review.

Was " Heartaches Were Nickels" the acoustic version from LFNIP or are we back to electric now?
Hope it stays in the set when the guys head over here at the end of the month - I've not heard either version live before but it's a great song, and one of Mrs Icons favourites.
And "Bridge" is back too!

Ian

Weeeelectric!  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Caveman/2 … amp;ref=nf

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Thanks Jeff!

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Jeff,
I held any comments until you had actually POSTED a review (some people cheer before a performance, but I typically wait until after, lol. I knew you'd come through with something special...thanks for sharing!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Joe and the band were great. My wife and I had a great time. Joe’s playing was excellent throughout. His staff was friendly. We said hello before the show and got a photo pass. I was too distracted to get many good pictures though. I will post what I got soon.

They played for exactly 2 hours but the time went quickly. I know I heard part of a Gov’t Mule song in there somewhere. Twice I went to the lobby dying of thirst only to find a huge line. There was no way I was going to miss 10 minutes of the show just to get a drink.

All in all, the show was dynamite and the sound was perfect. My only complaint would be the dead crowd. For this kind of music, people should be standing. We were in the front row and barely stood for a few seconds and got the “sit down ****” greeting from the angry guys sitting behind us. I didn’t feel like arguing, so we ended up sitting down.  These losers were talking during the show. We were glad they left early. It was great when Joe urged the people to stand up during the encore.

Joe has changed a bit since we last saw him. He lost some weight and has some new style. I like it. I hope the poor crowd doesn’t discourage the band from coming back to South Florida.