Topic: Royal Albert Hall 4/5/9

A grand way to spend the bank holiday Monday, off to London to see Joe at the Royal Albert Hall. After all the build up the big day has finally arrived.

Usual start, Django, Balled etc but then the first surprise of the evening. After the Last Kiss, Joe introduces a young guitarist who had been hanging about backstage and wanted a go. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Eric Clapton! Sure enough, God himself strolled onto the stage with his blue Fender, and the hall went bananas. They could have finished the show then and everyone would have gone home happy. Just one song but it brought the house down and even Joe was a bit tearful.

Back to the main set but then we get surprise number 2. Joe recalled his first gig in London when the crowd was 56 people. 'Then I got onto the Paul Jones music hour on radio 2 and things took off, so please welcome on harmonica Mr Paul Jones'. Sure enough, the Beeb's finest strolled onto the great stage and dueted with Joe on My funeral, My Trial. The song was originally recorded by Sonny Boy Williamson, for whom a young Jimmy Page played guitar. What next I wondered? Would he mention Planet Rock and do a duet with Rob Birnie?

The main set closes with Just Got Paid and included the call and salute section from Dazed & Confused. I was in Loggia box 33 and exactly opposite in Loggia box 3 was ..... Robert Plant. How would the great man react to a Zeppelin song? As it first came on I could see him whispering something into the smart young lady's ear next to him. To keep it clean, I think it was along the lines of that's our song! Incidenly, Percy's box had champagne on ice and a buffet table; my box had, er, buggar all really. At the end of the song, Percy was the first one up on his feet applauding and even gave a wave to Joe on stage. Nice touch.

Then the band are back for the two customery songs for the first encore. And then that's it! A bit of a finish on a low really. I was looking forward to a jam with Clapton or something special to mark the occasion. It never came. Pity.

All in a great evening and some of the songs were enhanced with the trombone, trumpet and saxaphone from the brass quartet. They also had 2 drummers and I really don't know why. The playing of Bogie has been the highlight of the tour, so why give him a second drummer?

All in, a great night but could have been better.

Bomber

Re: Royal Albert Hall 4/5/9

Well- I've seen Joe five times now, and it was patently obvious that the whole show has been notched up several gears!  The only downside for me was the usual 'swimming in reverb' acoustics of the 'Albert'- but hey, what a venue!  I can't really add anything that Bomber hasn't, but I beg to differ on the two drummer issue - High Water took on a whole new approach, and the 'massed drummers of the burundi' came to mind- I loved it! As for the show closers- 'Mountain Time' & 'Looking around for You' again I beg to differ- they were incredible!  Watching Joe perform 'Mountain' in front of that immense 'gothic' Albert Hall church organ bathed in blue light & smoke was something I'll never NEVER forget- such a simple song yet the emotion gets me every time- I have to say this time I was practically in tears- overwhelmed even,  even though I'm probably the most cynical hard bitten 50 year old you'd ever likely to meet!:lol:  The solo was like a huge tsunami of sound, and for once the acoustics made the song even more epic than usual- utterly breathtaking... amazing... I'm speechless (for once)- 'Looking Around For You' was very heartfelt by Joe- even singing way off mike to make most use of the dynamics of the song and just the right number to send everyone home glowing... well in my book the boy done good- REALLY good, and I just hope this is just a peak in a very long and distinguished career... Joe's vast talent & sheer hard work fully deserves it...

This don't look like no express way to me...

Thanks guys for the reviews. I am sure there will be many more coming over the next days. I've been to the RAH quite a few times and for rock & Blues shows the sound can always be iffy. Difficult for them to nail on a one off when the hall is empty. No wonder Clapton plays it multiple nights, he knows it only gets better - soundwise- as they suss out the acoustics.

If I had been there I would be sure to agree with Mitch. Mountain Time is always a high point for me, so as a closer it would have provoked a hair standing moment as well.

It would always be difficult for this gig just to live up to the hype that the forum has given it, but it sounds like it came pretty close. Well done Joe!

Mike H

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

4 (edited by eldo56 2009-05-05 14:57:25)

Mike - the gig was a "monster" - it wasn't just a show, it was an experience - best gig I've been to in many years - "the boy done good" - how he has matured and developed as an artist and showman over the last few years is amazing - hat's off to the guy!! He has worked his nuts off on the road and he is now reaping the rewards - he is "the best"!! set list was: ‘Dejango’, ‘The Ballad Of John Henry’, ‘So It’s Like That’, ‘Last Kiss’, ‘So Many Roads’, ‘Stop!’, ‘Further On Up The Road’, ‘Woke Up Dreaming’, ‘High Water Everywhere’, ‘Slo Gin’, ‘Lonesome Road Blues’, ‘Happier Times’, ‘Your Funeral My Trial’, ‘Blues Deluxe’, ‘Story Of A Quarryman’, ‘The Great Flood’, ‘Just Got Paid’ and encores of ‘Mountain Time’ and ‘Asking Around For You’. Look forward to the DVD!!

Well for me it was my first Joe Bonamassa gig and I had been waiting for this moment for months and months and months. It took us (my Father and I) 5 hours to get there, from Norwich, a lot of money (and a lot of traffic!). But it was totally going to be worth it because Joe is my favourite musician, my idol, and it would be the best gig I have ever been to.

Sadly, I was wrong...

We were in Circle R and the sound wasn't just bad, it was atrocious. God knows what the acoustics are like in the RAH because it was actually physically painful to listen to. Even Clapton sounded awful. When Paul Jones came on to play the harp I thought my head was going to explode (and he is a fantastic player). The noise was piercing, it went straight through your head and it actually, literally, hurt.

So we left early, we couldn't take it any more. I was devastated, I genuinely wanted to cry. We got outside into the corridor and suddenly it was all there. We sat in the corridor and listened to Just Got Paid and it was superb. And what's more we had at least 15 people walk past us going, "Wow it's so bad, do you think it was just where we are sitting? It sounds better out here!" and then leave the building. We followed suit, just after Just Got Paid.

I've watched the clip on Youtube of the bit with Clapton and it sounds fantastic even from the video camera. I don't think I can explain how bad it was up where we were (stage right). Well the fact that I own all of his albums, bought the tickets as soon as they came on sale and travelled 5 hours just to get there, and had to leave early says how bad it was for us.

I think it was all simply turned up too much for that venue, where we were the sound was so loud is was actually destroying itself. We could barely hear the lead at times. Joe's voice through that mic sounded like a chipmunk, only way I can describe it. I so badly wanted to go down to the stage and just tell him to sort it out! Dunno if there's much he could have done, but I was praying that someone would get a message to him.

I am so, so gutted and disappointed that this gig was such a waste of time and money for us. Can't get across my disappointment. I want to go to the Norwich gig and give it one more try, but from previous experience there the sound is always way, way too loud to the point that it gets completely distorted and sounds terrible. What's more there's always a crazy mosh pit in the middle, which is where the best sound is.

I know for a fact it was just where we were sitting, and it was incredibly unlucky. But I've read these complaints about Joe's performances before and he needs to do something about it, because for so many fans last night the gig was a complete travesty.

Only good thing, seeing Clapton, the first time for me or Dad and we were stunned, it was fantastic to see him; but like I said you could barely hear him over the two drummers and the bass.

Regards,

Adam

This gig was a massive let down!!!! Not by the band, or the venue,  but the absolute dreadful and dangerous sound.

This was probably the worst sound of any gig I've been to recent years - it was unbareable, and I know exactly why - Digital mixing!!!! Nothing but super harsh high mid range and top end with no warmth watsoever. I think this may be the first gig I've seen where they used a digital console and if I go to another and see one, I'm walking right back out again! High frequency at that volume through a digital rig is not only very uncomfatable it's potentially very damaging.

Why is a guy like Joe, who is a real tone master and someone who understands completely the need for analogue rigs allowed this to happen?????? Even his guitar sounded terrible and I know thats not coming from his amps.

Me and my friends all feel bitterly disappointed that a potential classic gig was ruined - as well as our ears!

Joe, please, please, address this immediately - You might as well have just plugged your guitar into a laptop using Guitar Rig because thats excatly what it sounded like - pants!!

Noony27 wrote:

I know for a fact it was just where we were sitting, and it was incredibly unlucky.

We were sat right next to the stage in section "O" - literally a couple of seats along from whoever took that video - and the sound was pretty decent by RAH standards, but still not fabulous. For me, those sorts of venues are more about the occasion and the spectacle than the sound quality, but it's a real shame if it was that bad at the back and up top. sad 

I saw B.B. King there once, from similar seats to where you were, and could barely make out anything at all, even when it was just him talking between songs. When his brass section was in full blast it was just a tsunami of noise. In fact the only time that I've ever experienced real clarity of sound at the RAH was for Bobby McFerrin doing one of the BBC Proms there.

Joe's tone was still huge from where we were, although inevitably not as punchy as when you hear it in a more intimate venue.

I wonder if a couple of perspex enclosures around the drum kits might have helped?

nick

Noony27 wrote:

I know for a fact it was just where we were sitting, and it was incredibly unlucky. But I've read these complaints about Joe's performances before and he needs to do something about it, because for so many fans last night the gig was a complete travesty.

Only good thing, seeing Clapton, the first time for me or Dad and we were stunned, it was fantastic to see him; but like I said you could barely hear him over the two drummers and the bass.

Regards,

Adam

Jeez, I am so sorry to read this tale of woe. There is a thread on here for 'Gigs I have walked out on', I just never expected to see Joe's as one of them!

You know you were unlucky, but that doesn't take away the disappointment of course. The RAH is terribly tricky for bands to play. An iconic location but it doesn't lend itself acoustically, every time, it seems. Depending where you are sitting.

I hope you give him another go. I've caught him 4 times in, admittedly, much smaller locations, and it has always been terrific. Damn, I can imagine how let down you feel, especially when you read how lots of others had such a positive viewpoint.

I just dunno what else to say....:(

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Noony27 wrote:

God knows what the acoustics are like in the RAH because it was actually physically painful to listen to. Even Clapton sounded awful...... The noise was piercing, it went straight through your head and it actually, literally, hurt.

I think it was all simply turned up too much for that venue, where we were the sound was so loud is was actually destroying itself. We could barely hear the lead at times. Joe's voice through that mic sounded like a chipmunk, only way I can describe it. I so badly wanted to go down to the stage and just tell him to sort it out! Dunno if there's much he could have done, but I was praying that someone would get a message to him.

I have to agree and came to website to see if anyone else thought the sound was atrocious. Looks like there are a few who do. Shame.

Wow,what a bummer for those who walked,can't imagine walking out on joe,but all power to you for it,if it's not right,it's not right.Could he have been using the same gear throughout this tour or do you think RAH provide any gear?They should know their hall more than anyone and i'm surprised it went TU for some.Amazed.

Come on you Blades!

Hi

This is the only post I'm going to make on this forum, as I'm more active on the Aynsley Lister forum.

However I was sitting at the back of the stalls (Joe was about two inches tall from where I was sat) But the sound was sensational. I've never seen Joe live before and indeed was not that familiar with most of his material.

But he sure did rock. I thoroughly enjoyed the sounds and showmanship and it was a pleasure to be at this gig.

I think if you look at the number of people that were applauding and on their feet during the course of the show that probably tells you more about the sound and performance than individual comments (like this one).

Unfortunately all venues have a place where the sound just doesn't work, I do feel sorry for anyone that may have been unfortunate enough to land in one of these spots.

As my only experience of JB, this was outstanding and rates up there with the great performances I've seen.

A big thanks to Greenose - who persuaded me to go to this gig.

BB

Really sad to hear that some people had to walk out because of the bad sound at their positions. My first Joe experience was something similar to that. Joe played great, but the sound just didn't work because of the bad acoustics. Saw him again a few days ago and he sounded terrific! It's very sad that some locations in RAH or other places have such poor sound conditions.

13 (edited by Eleanor 2009-05-05 19:51:09)

I was sitting in the stalls...row 6 so I wasn't very far from the stage and the sound was really good from there! OK, it was too loud a lot of the time but then amplified concerts always are! I am a violinist and have only ever played classical music and I am very particular about sound. This was really good sound for a blues/rock concert. I think it must have been where you were sitting guys. I went to a Stevie Wonder concert in San Diego a couple of summers ago and was seated at the side. The sound was SO AWFUL I couldn't believe it....you could not hear the guitar at all because the bass was so loud and boomy, in fact you couldn't make out the bass line either because it was too loud! But some friends of mine were in the middle and said the sound was very good. It's a drag that sound levels are never exactly the same in different parts of a venue. It's the same with classical music.

I was in way up high in Circle T and the sound wasn't great in that location.  It was echoey and there was virtually no bottom end - the drums sounded really tinny.  And Joe's vocals ranged from piercingly loud to almost inaudible.  The guitars by contrast sounded perfect.

However, all the sound issues are due to the shape and size of the hall and it does very much depend on where you are sitting.  I got the impression that for 90% of the audience the sound was as good as it gets, but for the unfortunate 10% it wasn't.  Joe has little or no control over that and, to be honest, I don't think it is physically possible at the RAH to get a perfect sound in every seat.  I saw Dave Gilmour there a couple of years ago and that sound wasn't great either.

I also saw Joe a couple of weeks ago at Wolverhampton, and the sound quality in that venue knocked the spots off RAH. 

You go to the RAH for the atmosphere and the occasion rather than for studio quality accoustics.  On that score, Joe's performance delivered over and above my already high expectations.  He poured everything into that show and it will live long in my memory as one of the great concert experiences.

Marty

15 (edited by vickyh31 2009-05-05 19:51:06)

Hi Marty

Nice to get a bit of perspective! Joe really did play his socks off as did the rest of the band (both regulars and extended)

I'm also sure that behind the scenes a lot of hard work and effort was also going into the performance.

The sound quality must have been good in the Loggia boxes if Robert Plant's response was anything to go by.

From what I can gather the arena and stalls seating, as well as choir seating were also AOK - so was it just the circle seats?  What about the gallery? Were all circle seats poor sound quality or just certain areas?

I gotta admit I originally had some stalls seats for my party but swapped them for more arena seats at the first opportunity - if its worth hearing, its worth seeing and hearing right wink

Vicky

"Stellar" a word used by Joe Bonamassa (also apt as a description of the man himself cool)

I've been to a lot of classical performances at the RAH and the sound is really variable, depending on where you sit. Basically, you have to be pretty close to get decent sound in there. I think it is more an iconic place with tons of history than a good concert hall.

Have to agree on the sound quality back up in the circle, but on my first time at the RAH to see Joe and what it must have meant so much to him,I could never have walked out . Good or bad it just is great to say "I was there".

hansamike wrote:

Jeez, I am so sorry to read this tale of woe. There is a thread on here for 'Gigs I have walked out on', I just never expected to see Joe's as one of them!

You know you were unlucky, but that doesn't take away the disappointment of course. The RAH is terribly tricky for bands to play. An iconic location but it doesn't lend itself acoustically, every time, it seems. Depending where you are sitting.

I hope you give him another go. I've caught him 4 times in, admittedly, much smaller locations, and it has always been terrific. Damn, I can imagine how let down you feel, especially when you read how lots of others had such a positive viewpoint.

I just dunno what else to say....:(

Don't worry, I'm going to give him another go. UEA here I come! I think the Arena had it pretty good, everyone seemed to be standing and applauding and really enjoying it. Just people around us really, really weren't. Have to admit though that he totally nailed Sloe Gin, even from where we were. God knows how good that must have been in the Arena. Whole way through I wanted to sneak down there hehe.

Regards,

Adam