Re: What happened to Eric Gales

I was afraid that the house band might be a problem, we got it to load but then lost the connection and couldn't get it back.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

I watched the second set the other night......Eric rambled on alot.......audio was sub par.....interesting closing number.....Blue Oyster Cult's Burn out the Day was interesting.. the mod said the set was being archived on the Iridium site....gotta check and see....maybe the audio was repaired.....

well, Eric got married, just found out yesterday. Crafton his web manager is touting this thing for September in Memphis, to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of Shawn's death. The lineup doesn't look very impressive at this point, lot of people "phoning it in" so to speak. He insists they will have an allstar group of players including some from across the pond. I would like to go but it's 4 days worth, think they could have made it only 2 days. Shawn was a great player and deserves this tribute.

https://sites.google.com/site/shawnlanememorial/

Jane, I have not heard anything about it but then we haven't talked to him in a while, probably because he's freakin married. Crafton didn't mention anything either. The good news is that with his endorsements the gear will just be replaced by Magneto, St. Blues, Two Rock, or others. He doesn't pay for any of that stuff and really has never had any high end guitars that I know of. That Two Rock sig amp is a different thing altogether, head and cab are around 4-5K.
funny story, last time we were in Memphis he had us put the amp and cab in my car after the concert. We thought we were going to dump it at his daughter's house but she never showed. I didn't sleep too well at the motel that night knowing it was in the car, we were not smart enough to bring them in the room. As soon as it got light outside I jumped up and ran out to the car to make sure it was still there. whew!

41 (edited by ahsmith33 2014-10-30 12:19:28)

received Eric's new CD yesterday, have not listened yet and will report back later. It's called Good For Sumthin' and is available at Cleopatra Records website. He has Zakk Wylde on one song and Eric Johnson on another, the rest is all Eric with Joel Thomas Whitley on bass and Lamar Carter on drums. His wife LaDonna adds backing vocals on two songs. This is his first solo release with vocals since Transformation. Looking forward to listening to it, will post a song if I find anything on the tube.

Edit: very impressed with the first two songs, indeed he has 'Come a Long Way' which is the first number. Pretty straight forward with some soulful vocals, right off the bat it reminds me of his older works, a lot less slick and shiny than the previous Mike Varney produced CDs. Then I notice that his older brother Eugene has helped with some of the song writing, which accounts for the throwback vibe. So I only listened to two songs, looked down the list and see he has a cover of the Stones Miss You. WTH, this could be really good or pretty bad, will let you know.

oh I get it now, this is produced by Raphael Saadiq - "old school R & B" artist, musician, guitarist etc. He has worked with TLC, Joss Stone, Mary J. Blige and John Legend. That coupled with Eugene Gales help with songwriting explains why it sounds more like Crystal Vision than it does Transformation.

Please feel free to continue the review.This is on my wish list as I have always been a huge fan of  Eric.Nice to see Eugene contributing.I like the early Galea brothers albums a lot and loved Eugene's vocals.I think he is a better singer than Eric.However I think Eric has improved his vocals over the years.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Eugene WAS a better singer in the early days, but he doesn't gig any more. I heard him sing at one of those Memphis street festivals and it was very decent. Eric has improved his singing about as much as Joe has.

I really like most of the CD but need to listen again. Favs so far are 1019, Heavens Gate, and Tonight(I'm Leaving). I was a little disappointed that it gets a bit off course in the final 3 songs. I never liked Miss You by the Stones, just too much disco bassline ala VH's When Push Comes to Shove. Eric does a great cover of it, however it pales in comparison to his cover of Beatles' She's So Heavy. I wish he had just done a new cover of it here, it's that good. So the final 3 songs are Miss You, and then the two with Zakk and Eric Johnson. The song with Zakk is not very good imo, and he even has to say his name in the song to introduce the not so good solo. That song could have been left off. The instrumental with Eric Johnson is a nice wind down to close it out, but sounds very similar to the song 6th Street that he did with Mike Stern. I can listen to anything EJ plays, always tasty, but again it just doesn't "fit" with the rest of the songs. Overall, it's a different feel from Relentless and Transformation and highlights his earlier days with the Gales brothers. It is definitely worth having if you are any kind of Eric Gales fan. I'm hoping they will post HG or Tonight to the tube in the near future. 

gary wrote:

Please feel free to continue the review.This is on my wish list as I have always been a huge fan of  Eric.Nice to see Eugene contributing.I like the early Galea brothers albums a lot and loved Eugene's vocals.I think he is a better singer than Eric.However I think Eric has improved his vocals over the years.

I'd love to see PGP tour.   Actually, I'd love to see a Dug Pinnick package tour w/ PGP, KXM and King's X.  I don't think his voice would hold up all night, but it sure would be awesome.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

I'd love to see PGP tour.   Actually, I'd love to see a Dug Pinnick package tour w/ PGP, KXM and King's X.  I don't think his voice would hold up all night, but it sure would be awesome.

Ya that would be a nice wish.Love both projects.
Always been a Kings X fan as well

Your rock candy baby

ZeyerGTR wrote:

Ya that would be a nice wish.Love both projects.
Always been a Kings X fan as well

Your rock candy baby

this is the one from the new CD Good for Sumthin' that I really didn't care for all that much, but kinda growing on me a little now after more listens. It's a lot heavier than the rest of the CD. I like Zakk, just not a big fan of his circle squelch vibrato, whatever you want to call it, it gets a bit old. Any opinions on this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w11_N_qfx9c

He is playing in Spooner Wisconsin this coming summer, at the Northwoods Blues Fest.

I picked a copy of GFS and digging the cd.i think it's overall got a funkier vibe.probably with the new producer.I think it's a good change to be a little different than what he's done but still have the main EG sound.Great bluesy guitar solos.
And ahsmith,I like the track with Zaake Wilde.
I really haven't listened to much of his music so whatever it is he does is new to me.
But it is one of my favs in the cd.The track with Eric Johnson is a keeper too.
Overall a very good cd in my opinion.I have been a big EG fan since the first cd and always have liked a majority of his work.

Your rock candy baby

From a recent show in OKC. Eric Czar on bass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4zn-aSFvo