Re: Bonamassa Signature ES-335

Oh yeah, the customer service at GC said there are 2 shipments scehduled, one mid-June, other mid-July.

Fingers crossed on mid-June!

So, which of us here will get theirs first? smile

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

OK, so I'm guessing he'll be playing this guitar in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's tribute to King.

With the strap only across his right shoulder! smile

kestrou

I just talked to Gibson, and Guitar Center.  They do not have any in stock and the the original ship dates still hold. Apparently I am looking at a Sales page that is in progress!

I guess I just have to wait! sad

Chuck Fleming
Bloomington, Indiana

Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa Es-335, Gibson JBLP Studio Gold Top, Epiphone JBLP Gold Top, Gibson Les Paul "Standard" Gold Top, 2 Gibson ES 339's,Carvin (Self Built), Gibson SG Standard, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Ibanez (Something or other), Yamaha Acoustic.

Hi guys, well I contacted my local GC soon after the GC ad came out (last week in March).  I was told one was on order and that I would be contacted when it arrived.  After reading the threads here, I thought it would be a while.  I was notified this past Wed. that the guitar had arrived.  I went in Wed. evening played it and purchased it.  I am the owner of #37.  Based on the discussion, I'm not sure where the rest of them are, but I gotta believe they'd be trickling in before May/June.

Here's what I can tell you about the guitar:

Weight: 7.13lb
Bridge: 7.89k
Neck: 7.90k
1st fret: .910
12th fret: 1.011

Pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1145804437 … GikazCkQE#

Video of me noodling around at the Guitar Center (bare with me smile ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlyENWTui8E

Some details for those interested:
- The serial number is a sticker inside the body of the guitar, not on the headstock, apparently common on these types of guitars
- No "signature" on the case like the JBLPs
- The COA is signed, but looks like a printed signature vs. a sharpie by Joe found in the aged JBLP COAs.
- 3 Reflector Knobs, 1 top hat knob (just realized this this morning)
- VOS "gunk" applied
- Interesting neck wood (see pictures)

I've really been enjoying the guitar!  Hopefully this helps give you an idea of what this guitar is like.

Jim

Wow! Very nice! Play in good health and enjoy!

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

jclark42796 wrote:

Hi guys, well I contacted my local GC soon after the GC ad came out (last week in March).  I was told one was on order and that I would be contacted when it arrived.  After reading the threads here, I thought it would be a while.  I was notified this past Wed. that the guitar had arrived.  I went in Wed. evening played it and purchased it.  I am the owner of #37.  Based on the discussion, I'm not sure where the rest of them are, but I gotta believe they'd be trickling in before May/June.

Pictures:

- The serial number is a sticker inside the body of the guitar, not on the headstock, apparently common on these types of guitars
- The COA is signed, but looks like a printed signature vs. a sharpie by Joe found in the aged JBLP COAs.
- VOS "gunk" applied

I've really been enjoying the guitar!  Hopefully this helps give you an idea of what this guitar is like.

Jim

Nicely done and congratulations.

How does it compare to the JB Les Paul's - I see you have listed an unaged Goldtop in your sig - so I thought I would ask.

Any chance of getting an A/B comparison or comparative review?

Again, congratulations!

conorb

Awesome..... Bring it out to one of the gigs... I'd love to see one in person....
Joe B

jclark
Wow, that's great. Glad to hear they are coming in.

Gives me hope that mine will arrive before Joe's May 12th Pgh show!

jclark42796 wrote:

Pictures:

- VOS "gunk" applied

Jim

Man, I can't thank you enough for posting this! I bought mine last weekend and have been burning up the keyboards looking for info! Mine is still awaiting shipment but now I can't wait to get it~!

Awesome review, and thank you so much!

I would really like to have mine before the Indianapolis show for Joe to check out! I have some hope now!

Chuck Fleming
Bloomington, Indiana

Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa Es-335, Gibson JBLP Studio Gold Top, Epiphone JBLP Gold Top, Gibson Les Paul "Standard" Gold Top, 2 Gibson ES 339's,Carvin (Self Built), Gibson SG Standard, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Ibanez (Something or other), Yamaha Acoustic.

Beautiful guitar!

Its official your the envy of all including Joe right now.

kestrou wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

OK, so I'm guessing he'll be playing this guitar in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's tribute to King.

With the strap only across his right shoulder! smile

kestrou

I take it back... I'm guessing he'll most likely be playing his red Gibson ES355 "eBay guitar" cool

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

http://distilleryimage2.instagram.com/3 … 6f02_7.jpg

I just got number JB 031 at Guitar Center Wilmington yesterday.  I have to say I was not looking for this guitar at all, and I already have a Fat Neck 335 that I really like.  I was just getting strings and someone I know told me there was something I had to check out.  Once I played it I realized I had to have it and would regret letting this one pass by, even though I can't really afford it. 

I have to say this is probably the best ES-335 I have ever played, and I have played a fair number.  My friend has an actual 1961 ES-335 that I've played on occasion and I prefer the JB 031 335 I just got to his.  I took it out on a gig last night and everyone raved about it. 

I don't know much about this series but this seems to be a great guitar.  My only concern is it appears to have the VOS finsh, and while it looks amazing, I've read on the internet that sometimes the VOS actually becomes more glossy over time, and inconsistently so.  I absolutely love the look of the guitar now so I'm trying to figure out how to preserve it.  Though I'm sure there's going to be some wear because this feels like it's going to become one of my main guitars.

Very nice....I can't believe they already here...congrats

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

conorb wrote:

How does it compare to the JB Les Paul's - I see you have listed an unaged Goldtop in your sig - so I thought I would ask.

Again, congratulations!

conorb

Thanks Conor!

I'll see what I can do, I'd like to do that.  I'm currently playing through my Axe-fx, through my family-friendly headphones but don't have a way to capture that to my computer...yet.  I have an old Line 6 Duo so I may see how that sounds.   The JBLP is in the shop getting my JB pickups installed (soldering iron isn't my friend yet).  I'll keep you posted.

Jim

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Awesome..... Bring it out to one of the gigs... I'd love to see one in person....
Joe B

Joe, Larry hooked me up, I'll see you in Pittsburgh.

Jim

bona335 wrote:

http://distilleryimage2.instagram.com/3 … 6f02_7.jpg

I just got number JB 031 at Guitar Center Wilmington yesterday.  I have to say I was not looking for this guitar at all, and I already have a Fat Neck 335 that I really like.  I was just getting strings and someone I know told me there was something I had to check out.  Once I played it I realized I had to have it and would regret letting this one pass by, even though I can't really afford it. 

I have to say this is probably the best ES-335 I have ever played, and I have played a fair number.  My friend has an actual 1961 ES-335 that I've played on occasion and I prefer the JB 031 335 I just got to his.  I took it out on a gig last night and everyone raved about it. 

I don't know much about this series but this seems to be a great guitar.  My only concern is it appears to have the VOS finsh, and while it looks amazing, I've read on the internet that sometimes the VOS actually becomes more glossy over time, and inconsistently so.  I absolutely love the look of the guitar now so I'm trying to figure out how to preserve it.  Though I'm sure there's going to be some wear because this feels like it's going to become one of my main guitars.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!  This is the first ES-335 I've played so I didn't have one to compare to.  I'm glad to hear this guitar is thought of so highly!  I'm sure that will make Joe happy smile

Jim

90 (edited by conorb 2012-04-17 00:09:53)

jclark42796 wrote:
conorb wrote:

Again, congratulations!

conorb

Thanks Conor!

I'll see what I can do, I'd like to do that.  I'm currently playing through my Axe-fx, through my family-friendly headphones but don't have a way to capture that to my computer...yet.  I have an old Line 6 Duo so I may see how that sounds.   The JBLP is in the shop getting my JB pickups installed (soldering iron isn't my friend yet).  I'll keep you posted.

Jim

Jim,

Don't worry about doing a full A/B with both guitars as it sounds like a cumbersome process.

Still, I would appreciate what you think of the guitar in general and compared to the JB Les Paul.

I have a Bonaburst (#33: http://www.vendettacycles.com/pics/bonaburst/index.html) and a JB Goldtop Studio (http://www.vendettacycles.com/pics/jb%2 … index.html) and I really *DON'T* need another guitar right now, but.... if they're only making 50 of these and it's totally awesome (I know, I know, it is) I may have to reconsider.

conor