Topic: Modern Bob Dylan

I have a small list of rockers from back in the day that I want to see when they tour; Bob Dylan was on my list and I went to see him for the first time Saturday night along with the Raconteurs.

Dylan surprised me on so many levels. I had no idea he wasn't going to play his guitar!!!  Rumor has it that he has a little arthritis and maybe suffered some sort of hand injury, so he stood and played his electric keyboard the entire show.  He shuffled his feet around on stage a little bit in his black cowboy boots and tight black pants with rhinestones down the side and never took off his black hat. (just like SRV's hat) He looked very cool along with his band that were all dressed up in matching brown suits with a little shimmer and black shirts and individually different black hats. It reminded me of the Temptations! The guitarists all played shiny, beautiful new looking Fender guitars.

Bob never took 2 seconds to say hi, bye, thanks or kiss my arse, as  my fellow Englishmen would say!  Some of the lyrics from his new album Modern Times are "You think I'm over the hill? You think I'm past my prime?"...the crowd roared and it hit us in a wave of hysteria, we couldn't stop laughing!!!! I'm not dissing Bob in any way, I'm his fan forever and he is one of the best songwriters out there, IMO. I will never stop listening to his recordings, but I'll probably skip seeing him the next time he's in town.

Bob left me so "Tangled Up In Blue" that I came home and played my favorite Dylan CD's to soothe my soul. The next morning, after reading some of the reviews, I realized Bob played Charlie Patton's Highwater and I didn't even know it!!  Bob has a way of mumbling his words sometimes and is known for his unique way of mixing things up...you would have never known that the reviewer and I were at the same concert. It threw me into hysterics again!

The next thing I did was order 4 tickets to see Dave Mason again.  Dylan's concert closed with "All Along the Watchtower"...I haven't seen anyone live that plays that as well as Dave Mason.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Re: Modern Bob Dylan

I guess you never heard Jimi do it,now that was the best live version of that song!!!!

I saw him two years ago, too, and it was great, although the way he sang it took the whole song to figure out what exactly it was! he also played the keyboards the whole time. it was one of the first big concerts i ever went to, but i never again met such a nice bunch of people, of almost every age. they kept singing along, some had songbooks with them and some actually asked me if my view was good from where i was standing and if they should step aside! smile

Peace and Love!

tarus52 wrote:

I guess you never heard Jimi do it,now that was the best live version of that song!!!!

taurus-you saw Jimi do Watchtower?! Awesome...he must of been thrilling to witness.

Lui- Dylan does have very devoted fans and draws a multigenerational crowd. He has an incredible way of using so few words to deliver a powerful message. I haven't smelled that much pot at a concert since the 70's...maybe that's why we were so giddy, second hand smoke!

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

To be honest Angela i remember reading that he had a few bad reviews on his recent UK tour. sadly it would seem that's the case again.