Topic: HOLIS???

Anyone ever hear of the Harrisburgh, Pennsylvania area band HOLIS?  http://www.holismusic.com/

I caught their performance opening up for Kansas last nite at the Keswick Theater, near Philly.  Although Kansas was incredible, HOLIS set stole the show for me.  I had never heard these guys before.  Didn't even know that there was going to be an opening band, actually.  My wife & I drove down from the Syracuse area (NY) & drove back home after.  After a couple hours of sleep I think I'm finally capable of attempting to describe what I witnessed last nite.  What an AMAZING show!!!  I've seen MANY amazing musicians & bands since '79.  Watching HOLIS perform last nite was phenomenal!  The last time I had that feeling was watching a 12 year old Joe Bonamassa perform in '89 at a pig roast & Blues Fest.  The ONLY other time was seeing U2 perform in '83 in a gym at a local commmunity college in front of maybe 100-200 people.  Not many bands can floor ya the first time you ever hear them play.  Check them out if you've never heard of 'em.

L8r... John

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

Re: HOLIS???

I checked out the songs on their my space site and the video that was there. They didn't impress me at all. I'm not a big fan of Kansas but I like them more than that band.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

Your post reminds me of the time my best friend and I went to see The Who @ The Cow Palace in S.F. back in Nov. '73, wow just a mere 33 yrs. ago. This was the infamous night that Keith Moon OD' on PCP after just 2 or 3 songs and a kid from the audience came up and got to jam with The Who for about 40 min. Not the greatest Who show I ever saw but, we came in late for the opening act due to excessive attitude adjusting in the parking lot. Once inside we caught the tail end of the opener which ended with some sizzling guitar work. The crowd went nuts till they came back for an encore and proceeded to launch into Freebird. we weren't even sure how to pronounce Lynyrd Skynyrd that night, but I've never had a problem since. Speaking of Harrisburg, I caught an opening act about '96 one night in SF named The Badlees from Harrisburg. I bought their CD and never heard from them again. Any knowledge of these guys? I'm never late for an opening act anymore.

J Dawg

"Cash 'em in and give my money to a man named Curtis Loew"   -RVZ

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

ohiodawg13 wrote:

Your post reminds me of the time my best friend and I went to see The Who @ The Cow Palace in S.F. back in Nov. '73, wow just a mere 33 yrs. ago. This was the infamous night that Keith Moon OD' on PCP after just 2 or 3 songs and a kid from the audience came up and got to jam with The Who for about 40 min. Not the greatest Who show I ever saw but, we came in late for the opening act due to excessive attitude adjusting in the parking lot. Once inside we caught the tail end of the opener which ended with some sizzling guitar work. The crowd went nuts till they came back for an encore and proceeded to launch into Freebird. we weren't even sure how to pronounce Lynyrd Skynyrd that night, but I've never had a problem since. Speaking of Harrisburg, I caught an opening act about '96 one night in SF named The Badlees from Harrisburg. I bought their CD and never heard from them again. Any knowledge of these guys? I'm never late for an opening act anymore.

J Dawg

I remember hearing about and seeing video of that show.  Sounds like a hell of a night.  Can't say I was at THAT show (I'm sure mom wouldn't have let me).  Just for fun I put together some of the bands I've seen over the years.  Not a bad start...

Pink Floyd
The Who
Rolling Stones
David Gilmour
Eric Clapton
John Entwistle
Jeff Beck
Joe Satriani
Gamma (Ronnie Montrose)
Gary Hoey
Steve Vai
Rush
Dream Theater
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Indigenous
Eric Sardinas
Santana
Al DiMeola
Pat Metheny
Jethro Tull
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
The Clash
U2
Yes
AC/DC
Queen
Kansas
Aerosmith
Allman Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Molly Hatchet
The Outlaws
Henry Paul Band
ZZ Top
Van Halen
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Ted Nugent
Peter Frampton
Neil Young
Jimmy Page
Steve Miller Band
Paul Rodgers Band
Atlanta Rhythm Section
The Guess Who
REO Speedwagon
Foreigner
Triumph
Foghat
Blue Oyster Cult
Nazareth
Black Crowes
George Thorogood
Kenny Wayne Sheperd
Robert Cray
Danny Gatton
Buddy Guy
B.B. King
Roger McGuinn
Joe Cocker
Rick Derringer
Edgar Winter
Johnny Winter
Derek Trucks Band
Johnny Lang
Journey
Moody Blues
John Fogerty
Peter Gabriel
The Band
Hot Tuna

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

=o|-[ wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:

J Dawg

I remember hearing about and seeing video of that show.  Sounds like a hell of a night.  Can't say I was at THAT show (I'm sure mom wouldn't have let me).  Just for fun I put together some of the bands I've seen over the years.  Not a bad start...

Pink Floyd
The Who
Rolling Stones
David Gilmour
Eric Clapton
John Entwistle
Jeff Beck
Joe Satriani
Gamma (Ronnie Montrose)
Gary Hoey
Steve Vai
Rush
Dream Theater
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Indigenous
Eric Sardinas
Santana
Al DiMeola
Pat Metheny
Jethro Tull
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
The Clash
U2
Yes
AC/DC
Queen
Kansas
Aerosmith
Allman Brothers
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Molly Hatchet
The Outlaws
Henry Paul Band
ZZ Top
Van Halen
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Ted Nugent
Peter Frampton
Neil Young
Jimmy Page
Steve Miller Band
Paul Rodgers Band
Atlanta Rhythm Section
The Guess Who
REO Speedwagon
Foreigner
Triumph
Foghat
Blue Oyster Cult
Nazareth
Black Crowes
George Thorogood
Kenny Wayne Sheperd
Robert Cray
Danny Gatton
Buddy Guy
B.B. King
Roger McGuinn
Joe Cocker
Rick Derringer
Edgar Winter
Johnny Winter
Derek Trucks Band
Johnny Lang
Journey
Moody Blues
John Fogerty
Peter Gabriel
The Band
Hot Tuna

all I can say is WOW!!!!
I would be happy if I went to just half of those shows!

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128