Topic: Jonny Lang ?

Jonny is playing at a rather small venue (Emerald Theater) here in the Detroit area tonight.
I got comped 2 tix....

anyone see this tour yet ?

i'll post my .02 cents when i get home after the show

"growing older but staying immature"

http://www.myspace.com/rkomgt

2 (edited by Tara 2006-11-02 17:57:20)

Re: Jonny Lang ?

Yes, it was great!

Tell my friend Barry (drummer) I said "Howdy"...since you have comp tickets.

Cheers!

Tara

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

well,

In the tradition of a "no bull - meat & potatoes" show that the "D" troit fans expect.....
Jonny delivered !!!!

The Emerald (Detroits best kept concert venue secret) was packed & ready to rock. 
Jonny hit the stage running & didn't look back.
He covered a lot of his new CD (which i admit i was unfamiliar with) & played with a fire & energy that he
didn't seem to have last time around.
The older material went over huge....
Wander this world...
Quitter never wins...
and a smoking version of Stevie Wonders Living for the City
saving Lie to Me for the encore....

all in all i'd rate the show 9/10
if your a fan of Jonny & he's coming to your town...i recommend checking him out.

just my .02 cents....

RKO

I don't have any Jonny Lang, what should I buy first?  I just read about his newest release and him growing as a singer and becoming more of a well- rounded musician.  How is the new one "Turn Around"? Thanks.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Depends on who you ask. I love Turn Around. Some don't. I think you should just start with his first album, Smokin', and go through Lie To Me, Wander This World, Long Time Coming, and Turn Around. Just to give you an idea of where he was and where he's going.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Good call Deezer,

i was going to suggest the same.

I didn't like long time coming.
the songs just didn't hit me. oh well

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

8 (edited by ohiodawg13 2006-11-13 20:47:38)

It's good to hear some favorable reviews about Jonny's latest tour. I caught him about 4 or 5 yrs. ago and wasn't overly impressed, but I've always liked his studio efforts. My favorite song I've heard him do is Groundhog Day from the Double Trouble CD "Been a Long Time".  There's a killer version of Led Zep's Rock & Roll with Susan Tedeschi on vocals and Kenny Wayne on lead guitar. This disc is worth owning just for the song In The Garden written by Susan T. and Tommy Shannon and of course sung by Susan. Check this one out if you haven't alread                                                                                                 

J Dawg

"This guitar comes with airbags!"    -Nigel Tufnel for VW

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

I got Turn Around, and I love it.  I'll be honest, I didn't know a Jonny Lang existed until Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival DVD.  And his singing made me uncomfortable.  Don't ask me to expain that, I don't know.  Some people just look like they are struggling.  But I bought the CD and like I said, I love it.  If you don't have to look at him, he has a very soulful voice.

I was at Target today and hit the record section and saw that Turn Around was featured on one of the end displays so I picked it up. There was a coupon inside with a code to download a bonus tack, but it was expired. I think I listened to Jonny one time on itunes but honestly didn't know what exactly to expect and it's different then what I was expecting...only listened once...like the song Don't Stop For Anything.  Michael McDonald sounds awesome on Thankful. Is some of Jonny's music considered quasi-gospel?  Some very inspirational lyrics...

Carol- about the voice- sounds like his vocal range can go all over the place.  Only ever heard one person make a comment like yours, my mom. She's into lots of music like big bands, classical, opera, etc.  The first time she saw one of her favorite tenors she was so disappointed in his stage presence, body language, etc....she found it disturbing and never went to see him again but owns everything he's ever recorded and enjoys that thoroughly.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Angela & Carol:

Glad you enjoyed the new CD.
I was at Crossroads, and had my first taste of Jonny live. He is an amazing talent, with a vocal range a mile wide. His guitar licks are quite tasty as well. He really shines playing live, and his backing band is always top notch. I took in the acoustic tour he did last year, and was extremely pleased. His percussionist sat on and played this acoustic square box like thing that sounded great.

I'm with Deezer, if you enjoyed the new CD, I would encourage you to pick up his other works. They are a way for him to express himself and the places he has been. There are some hard edges and some wild riffs that I really enjoy.

He will be playing Portland again in December for a fund raiser of some sort.

RockinRon

Two kinds of women in this world. Theres naughty and there's nice
Any man will tell you that one is a virtue
And the other is a Vice.
Warren Haynes-Inside Outside Women Blues #3-By a Thread

Given your tastes Angela, go with "Lie To Me"...

Angela wrote:

I don't have any Jonny Lang, what should I buy first?  I just read about his newest release and him growing as a singer and becoming more of a well- rounded musician.  How is the new one "Turn Around"? Thanks.