Topic: The Pain and Sorrow appreciation thread

I know its Jane’s favorite JB song and one of mine too.  But some of the newer people here might now know about it.  I’ve seen lots of SILT threads asking about the album.  It certainly has had its time in the setlist and it ranges from 9 minutes to 22 minutes and I understand why its not in there now.  But what a song!

Re: The Pain and Sorrow appreciation thread

I am with ya.  That songs makes the entire SILT album for me..

No matter how well you know someone, you can only ever guess.  How can you ever really know somebody else? It takes more than a lifetime just to get to know yourself.  Nobody knows the meaning of loneliness.  - Van Morrison

It's a classic like "Voodoo Child."

Ballgame wrote:

I understand why its not in there now.  But what a song!

Maybe I missed something here.  Why isn't it in the setlist anymore?  Joe just want to mix it up some or is there another reason?

Rock 'N' Roll,
-Ben

pull it out joe...............
it's my favorite too..

I luv it!

Sending in my cards and letters for this song. It was GREAT to hear live when it was in the set!

All right! Thanks, Jane.

One of my favorite memories of "Pain and Sorrow" came at the end of this years Bayfront Blues Festival in Duluth, MN. Kenny Wayne Shepherd was the headliner on the final night and had just concluded a pretty good set that included "Voodoo Child" as the encore. Right after the M.C had thanked everybody for attending this years festival the P.A. system was cranking out "Pain and Sorrow". Me and my gal looked at each other wondering and hoping that maybe next year......

Thanks Jane for the great link.  "Classic Joe" at his best!  Talk about long solos, this is it!  Some nice close ups too.  Wonder which show/venue this was back in 03?

Music is good for the Soul...

Thanks for the link! I've never seen a video or a live performance for that matter of this song before so thank you thank you thankyou!

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

David A. wrote:

Thanks Jane for the great link.  "Classic Joe" at his best!  Talk about long solos, this is it!  Some nice close ups too.  Wonder which show/venue this was back in 03?

It was shot at a place called 32 Bleu in Colorado Springs, CO on March 31, 2003.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that Jane!

P&S has always been my favorite Joe tune. I listen to it often. I completely understand and respect why he dropped it. But there are few songs in his catalog that showcase his improvisational firepower as well as that one. I miss it.

I do have many recordings, and now some video (thanks again Jane).
I hope someday he pulls it out and takes it for a drive. And I hope I'm there when he does.

db

Jane,
I'll never forget how this one deejay used to end his show. He would say, "Music is your best friend. It will never let you down." I could never understand people who don't like to listen to music. I can't live without it.

Jane you're awesome!

Hey Jane, glad the music helps you like it helps me.  I know what you mean.  Sometimes it's like something inside just snaps and I'm happy again.  Anyways, I have to ask again since I didn't get an answer, what is the reason for Joe taking this out of his shows?  Was he tired of playing it or is there a more profound reason?  Somebody please let me know.  Thanks.

Rock 'N' Roll,
-Ben

Yeah it is a really special song.

Does anyone know what guitar Joe is playing on that video? Is it a Clapton strat?

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

I have more than a few highlights to the Joe shows I've been to. One of them was hearing Joe play P & S at Shank Hall almost exactly a year ago (10/25/05). That show started out with If 6 were 9/Spanish Castle Magic, so I was able to hear two songs I had never heard Joe play live before. P & S was awesome live!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"