Topic: Guitar TAB posting / copyright issues?

Hi guys,

I'm about 2/3rds of the way though a transcription of "You Upset Me Baby" in Guitar Pro (a very nifty tab editor) that I'm working on to improve my by-ear learning of tracks and because I was down to play it at a sadly canceled guitar jam last autumn.

What with the official tab book being released, and all the hoo-ha about online tabs and copyright infringements, I wondered if there's a Bonamassa policy on posting / sharing tabs on here and/or on a (non revenue generating) blog?

When it's done I'd like to post it for others to mercilessly point out errors. smile

Many thanks,

nick.

Re: Guitar TAB posting / copyright issues?

I learned that one about a year ago.... great fun to play and not too hard for us mere mortals. I really don't get the copyright hoo-ha as you put it ... I mean if your not making money off the back of it and Guitarist get to advance their playing I dont see the harm ... but hey .. what do I know tongue

Looking forward to seeing your Tabbage smile

Hey Nick,

I would be in aggrement with Jane on this one, I personally would think its ok as long as you dont proffit from it and then if Joe releases the songs later you could take them down. I know for a fact I'd love to see some of your tabs.

Btw Nick, do you have the latest version of Guitar Pro? I found an open source program
that can view *gp3 *gp4 and *gp5 although there seem to be a new version of *gp5 files that i cant open. I would hate to be a hastle but do you think would it be possible for me to send you 5 tabs i think there are and would you be able to save them as a different format?

If not no worries at all,
Thanks,
Matt

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Matt - of course, my email should be on the left here. Send them through and I'll output them as PDFs, or whatever you like.

nick.

Yo Nick,

I got your e-mail back there and they work a treat. Thanks so much big_smile

Matt

Matt,
    What is the open-source program that you mentioned? Is there a link to it?

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Yeh sure Budda,

The program is called Tux guitar, it was originally designed for linux users i believe as i don't think Guitar Pro is available on linux but there is also a verison available for windows

http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/ Thats a link to it there

Matt

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

wish someone could tab ARE YOU EXPERIENCED.  Someone actually tabbed A New Day Yesterday (Live) and it's note for note.  WOW...

I've tabbed only the intro solo of Are You Expierienced yet.
I will upload it in a few days on ultimate-guitar.com.
(GTPro5)

It's a looooong song smile

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

mantegna wrote:

wish someone could tab ARE YOU EXPERIENCED.  Someone actually tabbed A New Day Yesterday (Live) and it's note for note.  WOW...

Think that was me... smile smile

Here are my tabbed songs by "Smokin' Joe": http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7236
I LIKE MUSIC! big_smile big_smile big_smile

JBJHJM wrote:
mantegna wrote:

Think that was me... smile smile

Ah... Are You Experienced - great song!  Figured it out not a while ago... fun song to play

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

The thing about some of the songs you mentioned above is that they are written by other artists... so it´s not only up to what JB thinks about it...
I think it´s great with tabs... (but that doesn´t mean I can play those songs anyway...) and as long as you don't try to profit on others work I think it´s ok, but the law is different in every country too...