1 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-08-08 02:24:00)

Topic: The Coach House 8/7

Here's the set list from tonight's show. Quoting exactly from the list that Dave gave me.

Spike Driver Blues - Barri

Bridge to Better Days - JB LP

So Many Roads - JB LP

Mountain Time - 59 Drop D...

Another Kind Of Live - JB LP

Sloe Gin - JB LP

Highwater Everywhere - Acc.

Your Funeral My Trial - Gm

Don't Burn Down That Bridge - Gm

Blues Deluxe - Bigsby

Woke Up Dreaming

Just Got Paid - JB

---------------------

One Of Thest Days - Gm/slide

Asking Around For You - Rossington

----------------------

Ball Peen Hammer - 12 String

Very very cool show. With a few additions since the last time I saw Joe I was pleasantly surprised. This includes the use of a seemingly forbidden instrument: a Strat. Yes ladies and gentlemen, Joe Bonamassa used a strat for the opening song, a song off next years new studio album called Spiker Driver Blues. He also used a theramin during SDB and the Dazed and Confused part of Just Got Paid/Dazed and Confused. This was a pretty cool touch, the screams of varying lengths and pitches gave SDB and D&C a whole new depth. The sound system was a little iffy, a couple notes here and there going fuzzy. But Joe certainly gave his all!

Quoting a friend of mine: "He's beautiful, really. I feel so privileged to have seen him play. Blues doesn't describe him at all, he's so much more than that!"

I got the chance to meet Carmine and his lovely girlfriend before the show, very very cool people!

Blues Deluxe was brought back in a rendition with a bit more swing than previously seen, and he used a (according to Joe) "Les Paul that I've been playing for years, we just threw on a Bigsby and black surrounds!" I had thought that (because of the black surrounds) it was a one-off of Joe's new signature line, but Joe corrected me smile He seemed tired after the show, but was happy to sign autographs. He was still signing various items for Mrs. Libby when I left! I bought a copy of Live From Nowhere In Particular and Joe signed the inside cover for me. Apparently they had brought 2 boxes of the new CD, and boy they were selling quick! I'm going to listen to it all tomorrow.

I did get a chance to introduce Libby to the group that I brought, which included two of my cousins from out of town, a good friend of mine, and my dad. An attorney from my dad's work was there with his wife. Apparently my dad got Mike into Joe through me!

Overall a very memorable night, oh, and I must not forget, the re-vamped versions of Your Funeral My Trial and Don't Burn Down That Bridge! DBDTB was smoothed out with a little less kick, but it was still enjoyable.

I'm tired, so expect a couple more comments here and there as more people post, but until then, good night!

smile

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Re: The Coach House 8/7

Great updates everybody...  Cool to hear a strat back into the mix.  Glad you got the new CD!!!

Music is good for the Soul...

Very interesting review, I look forward to hearing Spike Driver Blues sometime. As an opener was it an uptempo number?

Musicinmysoul wrote:

He seemed tired after the show, but was happy to sign autographs. He was still signing various items for Mrs. Libby when I left!
smile

He would have got more tired after that! Can you sign these CDs, these T-shirts, this poster, my ticket, my left hand etc... big_smile Only joking Libby!

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Thanks Danny, I know your leaving room for Libby to go "Postzilla"...lol...hope you had great seats, "The Coach House" ...ROCKS!!!!!

Dave

5 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-08-08 09:56:15)

Oh yeah, my seats were great, but then again it's the Coach House, it's pretty hard to have bad seat.

Spike Driver Blues is a really heavy tune, I'm pretty sure it's in drop D. It set a great mood for the rest of the show.

Edit: Oh, and for anyone lurking who was there, I was the tall guy with the bright blue Doheny shirt on! Several people who were also clad in Doheny Blues Festival attire stopped me just to say hi and tell me they were there as well!

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

The show was GREAT, but I have to say I will NEVER see another show at the Coach House.
Could they possibly SQUEEZE any more seats at the tables and don't get me started about no air conditioning or even the ceiling fans turned on.  My wife asked the Manager about the air and or ceiling fans and he was pretty RUDE to her, telling her if she didn't like it, he would have no trouble selling her ticket to someone else !!!  Sorry about the rant.  Joe, you were AWESOME !!!  We'll see you ANYWHERE but the Coach House.

Agree with many of the comments. Show was great. However, the Coach House is a little rough. And, yes it was hot as hell in there.

On the Strat comment he played one at the Galaxy last time i saw him ( with Roben Ford )

I Also noticed he seemed a bit tired. But even a tired Joe is an awesome time.

I have never seen a guy master so many type of styles like he does truly an amazing artist.

Actually.... The guitar in question is a Stonetree Barritone guitar... Its shaped like a strat.. but is well made :-) and a Mahogany like a gibson...
Joe Bonamassa

Ah, that explains the "Barri" written on the set list...thanks Joe.

Joe never played a strat at the Galaxy with Robben Ford. It was all Pauls, his 345, acoustics, and Gibson slide. He wasn't even playing his Signature at that point.

I am a blues fan, more more so now that I have hear Joe's music.  My first introduction to Joe was from a Mark & Brian interview on the radio in L.A. 

I purchased some CD's and listen to Joe all week, every week.

The Coach House was super hot, but was well worth it to see Joe perform.  Just as your friend mentioned that he was "beautiful", I told my friend the same exact thing. 

He is beautiful... from every sound he makes with his guitars and from his passion deep within. 

Thank you Joe for sharing your talent with us.  You are one of a kind.

11 (edited by Libby 2008-08-18 18:11:34)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Actually.... The guitar in question is a Stonetree Barritone guitar... Its shaped like a strat.. but is well made :-) and a Mahogany like a gibson...
Joe Bonamassa

Thank God Joe reads his own Forum.  I did NOT want to be the one to CLARIFY that he did NOT have the VERBOTTEN-and-shall-remain-nameless-product (but it begins with an F" and ends with an "R") on stage with him.  Whew!!!

Musicinmysoul wrote:

The sound system was a little iffy, a couple notes here and there going fuzzy. But Joe certainly gave his all!

I did get a chance to introduce Libby to the group that I brought, which included two of my cousins from out of town, a good friend of mine, and my dad. An attorney from my dad's work was there with his wife. Apparently my dad got Mike into Joe through me

Yep, it's true about the sound system - really quite OOKIE at a couple of points.

I want to say again what a PLEASURE it is for me to continue to get to know our bright, gifted, guitar playing, SUPER enthusiastic member Danny (Musicinmysoul) and how REALLY exciting it was to know that HE, at 17, was responsible for bringing ALL of those people to the show....... THIS is the future of the blues........ and I made SURE to introduce Danny PROPERLY to Joe. 

a few words about the Coach House.......

It WAS EXTRA PACKED last night....... VERY FULL (yay JOE!!!!)........

It's true - the Coach House is NOT air conditioned and this is the second show that we've attended this summer which was uncomfortably warm - actually - downright HOT.  I was told that they cannot run the ceiling fans (I only saw ONE anyway) because they would interfere with the sound system.  I escaped a couple of times onto a tiny stoop outside one door....... there is a good sized patio available elsewhere, but it is the SMOKING patio and is NOT very pleasant for a non-smoker to spend time on........  the seating IS tight....... we actually gave up PERFECT seats for more breathing room......

BUT - all of that being said - we LOVE the Coach House - and we drive more than two hours to get there.  We refer to it as our home away from home.  We have seen Joe there three times now and, basically, if it's good enough for Joe, it's good enough for us.  This venue continues to bring us GREAT acts - for instance, Larry Carlton, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Johnny Winter, and Sonny Landreth will all be there over the next couple of months, for instance.  We will continue to support our little club which brings us NOT so little, FANTASTIC performances.  I'm sorry to hear that someone was treated NOT so very nicely by a staff member.  THAT has NEVER happened to us - we've had the OPPOSITE experience - finding the staff as super friendly and as accomodating as they can be. 

Greenose wrote:

Very interesting review, I look forward to hearing Spike Driver Blues sometime. As an opener was it an uptempo number? 

Musicinmysoul wrote:

He seemed tired after the show, but was happy to sign autographs. He was still signing various items for Mrs. Libby when I left!
smile

He would have got more tired after that! Can you sign these CDs, these T-shirts, this poster, my ticket, my left hand etc... big_smile Only joking Libby!

Duncan, I'll have you know that I controlled myself and ONLY had Joe sign two CD's, my copy of Guitarist with HIM gracing the cover AND a T-shirt for a beloved Forum member who we all think of as a Sister.  smile   My hands, feet, etc. will just have to wait until we see him again NEXT month.

SO......... Thank you JOE for YET another great show this summer....... TRULY - HOW LUCKY can one girl GET??!!!  And, let me especially thank you AND Carmine, Rick and Bogie for being so warm and friendly and available to me.

With all of the Coach House challenges aside..... it WAS another great show - and we took along some old friends, which provided us with YET another opportunity to introduce Joe's music into someone else's lives.  WHAT a JOY that is to do.

NOW - the CD - well, just when a girl thinks NOTHING more in the way of FABULOUS things could POSSIBLY happen to her in ONE WEEK....... they brought out a box of 50 of the NEW, as yet UNRELEASED, 'Live from Nowhere in Particular' double CD to the merchandise table .......... WOW.  WOW.  WOW.

You know, I really anticipated liking it - liking it a LOT - LOVING it - BUT, I've got to tell you, it was like being at a Joe show - in my LIVING ROOM.  When I put it on this morning, I was in the middle of 'chatting' with a couple of Forum members online...... I had to EXUSE MYSELF from the conversation because I was so COMPELLED to get up and DANCE, DANCE, DANCE!!!!!  You ALL are going to LOVE IT!!!!  And, I think it will go a long way towards soothing the savage beast when we have dry spells between shows...... a HEFTY and VERY SATISFYING prescription of JOE to be used (freely and with ABANDON) in between shows.......

the happy camper/lucky girl,

smile  Libby  smile

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

Sounds great Libby.
Can't wait till I get my copy of the album.but have to wait untill the end of this month before it will fall into my letterbox.
Glad you had a great time at the show and meeting the guys.

Greetings

13 (edited by Musicinmysoul 2008-08-09 09:29:40)

I just looked up the lyrics to John Hurt's Spiker Driver Blues and it appears that Joe uses one line from that song.

"This is the hammer that killed John Henry"

If I remember right that lyric is followed by something like

"In the battle of sinners and saints"

but don't quote me on that, it's a rough guess.

I just remember it being a VERY heavy song, which, again, makes sense because it's played on a baritone strat. This one to be specific!

http://www.stonetreeguitars.com/000_0182.JPG

And you're too nice Libby, don't give me too much credit tongue

Great story Libby!! Thanks for sharing!

You make me really jealous by having the new CD already, I have to wait 10 days from now!!
It's a belated birthday present from my best friend and Bonafriend from the beginning  Rudi.
he asked me what I wanted  and that wasn't difficult. When you get  a present that has to do with Joe and band: always the best!!

Andre Wittebroek

Congratulations Danny, on your 500th post!!!  You have been a very busy boy this summer!!!

Welcome back Andre, we've missed you.  You will LOVE your new CD.

Also wanted to say that Joe has been using his BEAUTIFUL brand new cherry red Gibson ES 335, which he picked up (thank you Gibson) while performing with Larry Carlton at the special anniversary celebration of the aforementioned guitar at the Hall of Fame 6 weeks ago or so.  You can see it in this clip from Hollywood during "Asking Around for You"  .........   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Sext3olas 

LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it. 

smile  Libby   smile

P. S.  I keep tidbitting - I know - perhaps fleeting thoughts are better than a Postzilla.....  so, here's one more thing. 

By FAR the MOST difficult autograph for me to capture was that of JOE'S extraordinarily talented Guitar tech, Dave Pate.  Why is that, you ask??  Well, because he is so PASSIONATE and DEADLY SERIOUS about his duties and responsibilities that NO MATTER how many times I saw him before the performance - he would not even CONSIDER stopping for ONE MOMENT for something as trivial as an autograph until he was CERTAIN that the BOSS was COMPLETELY taken care of.  THAT is EXACTLY the way it SHOULD be and I told him that's why we love him.  Keep up the MOST excellent work Dave.  smile  Thank you.

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

Hhaha thanks Libby, I'm half way there!

Oh I heard about the 335...something about Joe going up on stage and being like "Can I keep this? Is there someone here from Gibson who can make that happen?" and Larry said something like "I'm going to say yeah..."

Dunno...funny story though. Beautiful 335 as well.

You are so right Libby, Dave is so nice too. When I talk about the band , I talk about Dave too. For me he's a bandmember too.

I met him different times and he is such a wonderful , friendly guy! I think he's very important to the band! I saw him  working on the gear, doing the soundcheck with Joe  , he is a true professional. Hope to talk to him again in November/December.

Andre Wittebroek

Shoot...did anyone else notice I put the wrong date in the title of the thread?