Re: John Mayer DVD

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news … ayer_N.htm

There was just a letter to the editor type of article in the UK's Guitarist Magazine about John Mayer.  Guitarist plans on showing John some attention and it stated that he's way more popular in the states.  I'm wondering if John saw Joe's picture on the cover?  Now that's a situation where I would welcome being a fly on the wall...:D  I've moved way beyond any John Mayer rants, BUT still the rock n' roll fantasy part of my brain is just a wonderin'...;)  Should I start singing Albert Collin's "Ego Trip"...JUST KIDDING...my attempt at humor for the day...

I'm taking my daughter & a friend to see John Mayer Thursday night.  I'm looking forward to this show more than last year's show, I'd be happy to see Mayer show me his stuff.  One of the Clapton fans once said he wouldn't be surprised if Mayer checked out of music for a bit and tried something totally different...like being an artistic painter.  Some of these talented and eccentric artists have lots of layers...

gsj-thanks for the heads up, coming from you means I'll definitely check it out.  Hope the new job is going well. smile

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

20 (edited by gsj 2008-07-07 16:54:17)

I think that it's all to easy too be critical and negative about people's work (:) I know I'm guilty of it too sometimes). It takes a lot of effort to rise to the top and it's true that some crap will rise to the top from time to time, but it won't sustain a career path that will allow an audience to grow and follow. Simple solution is ....if you don't like it, don't buy it. Being negative doesn't make you right so why not just say....ok...each to their own. (Oooooh, seems like old age is creeping up on me).

I think, hand on heart, that John Mayer's recent work has some balls to it. Yeah, I like Joe, Derek Trucks, The Allmans, Gov't Mule etc etc....all great guitar driven music.....but Mayers work is good too and I get the feeling it's from the heart. If I'm wrong then where's the harm....nobody died as a result smile. I just think he's a great player....he can sing...and yep, he writes some bloody good songs.

And.....;)

Hi Angela....thanks. And...... the new job's ok....better than not working wink

Peace

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

I think it's a testament to John that as he has changed, he's still selling just as strong as ever. It's one thing to find a formula and gain initial success, it's harder to change it up and still have people follow you.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

I'm watching this DVD now, and while I'm not overly impressed with the acoustic set, the trio material is pretty damn good, albeit very SRV/Hendrix derived. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's really good. Mayer IS a really good guitarist, but no better, and not as good than, countless others who will never achieve the success that he has. But having said that, is it a bad thing when someone brings guitar based blues into the mainstream?

Sure Mayer achieved his success with acoustic based pop songs, but the safe thing would've been to just continue on that path. The fact that he chose to bring the blues into his music again shows he's willing to take risks, and that's rare these days. Most play it safe once they get a fan base.

I will say this. He's got an extremely tight band, and when you have current Who bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Steve Jordan in a power trio, as is the case in the 'Trio' segment of this, you're not going to get any less than stellar results technique-wise.

I'm no huge Mayer fan, but I do recognize that the man has true talent both as a songwriter and as a guitarist. When was the last time the blues or something bluesy been up at near the top of the Billboard Album Charts, other than the Blues Chart? Instead of bickering whether or not it's bluesy enough, etc. etc. perhaps be thankful anything at all like this gets exposure. I'd rather it be Joe, but someone like Jeff Beck isn't hitting the top of the charts either, so it comes with the territory.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Keith wrote:

I'm no huge Mayer fan, but I do recognize that the man has true talent both as a songwriter and as a guitarist. When was the last time the blues or something bluesy been up at near the top of the Billboard Album Charts, other than the Blues Chart? Instead of bickering whether or not it's bluesy enough, etc. etc. perhaps be thankful anything at all like this gets exposure. I'd rather it be Joe, but someone like Jeff Beck isn't hitting the top of the charts either, so it comes with the territory.

Indeed.

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

Keith wrote:

I'm watching this DVD now, and while I'm not overly impressed with the acoustic set, the trio material is pretty damn good, albeit very SRV/Hendrix derived. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's really good. Mayer IS a really good guitarist, but no better, and not as good than, countless others who will never achieve the success that he has. But having said that, is it a bad thing when someone brings guitar based blues into the mainstream?

Sure Mayer achieved his success with acoustic based pop songs, but the safe thing would've been to just continue on that path. The fact that he chose to bring the blues into his music again shows he's willing to take risks, and that's rare these days. Most play it safe once they get a fan base.

I will say this. He's got an extremely tight band, and when you have current Who bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Steve Jordan in a power trio, as is the case in the 'Trio' segment of this, you're not going to get any less than stellar results technique-wise.

I mostly agree. I just think when you're looking at John Mayer, it's best not to look at him as just a guitar player. I think when you add in the songwriting, the guitar playing, and the vocals (which I do like, some don't) I think it's a really good package. Do I like him better than Joe? Of course not. There are a lot more bands I reach for before I reach for John Mayer. But I do really like John, and do listen to him quite frequently.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

25 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-07-09 21:55:12)

LOL I could spat about the legitimacy of John Mayer all day long.

If Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton believe he is legit (by association), then who (especially on this forum) has the comparable clout to say he is not?
That, said - you still don't have to LIKE him, but it's not good manners to question his blues legitimacy.

I for one welcome with open arms, any musical artist under 40 years old (heck, under 30) to play blues, just to keep it going. I really don't care who it is or what the reputation was.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Deezer wrote:
Keith wrote:

I mostly agree. I just think when you're looking at John Mayer, it's best not to look at him as just a guitar player. I think when you add in the songwriting, the guitar playing, and the vocals (which I do like, some don't) I think it's a really good package. Do I like him better than Joe? Of course not. There are a lot more bands I reach for before I reach for John Mayer. But I do really like John, and do listen to him quite frequently.

The main reason people don't look at Mayer as a guitarist first is due to the fact that he hit it huge with acoustic pop rock. I guarantee though if he was from Texas and hit it big with the 'Trio' material first, people everywhere would be singing the praises universally of this "young kid from Texas" who plays the best blues guitar blah blah blah....Funny how that works. Except for the blues purists and they may just be beyond help. tongue

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

whatever your opinion, the most important thing is that he is bringing the blues to the younger generation.  I just saw him play "Crossroads" to an audience of thousands.  Due to his recording collaborations, young teenaged girls who think he is "cute" are now listening to B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, John Scofield and Herbie Hancock (artists whose albums Mayer has appeared on).

check a vid of John playing some blues from his recent tour (not with trio, with the same band that plays pop hits)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIGDcd9BwmY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPX1E_mVMOU

28 (edited by The RiverCat^-^ 2008-07-10 00:47:41)

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

If Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton believe he is legit (by association), then who (especially on this forum) has the comparable clout to say he is not?
That, said - you still don't have to LIKE him, but it's not good manners to question his blues legitimacy.

I for one welcome with open arms, any musical artist under 40 years old (heck, under 30) to play blues, just to keep it going. I really don't care who it is or what the reputation was.

Well most would take that, but I'm not one of them.  I know my blues well enough. I do not just take what Buddy and Eric think.  He plays blues more like a jazz guitarist mentality.  If your going to say your the only one who can bring people the blues, then you better bring it or be questioned about it.

Now I can be friendly and just have everyone love me by being positive.  Not cause any waves because isn't that what life is really all  about.  Being Happy and Positive. While others suffer in life.  Being happy and positive while your Country and other Countries are turned into irrepairable devestation by your Country. You wanna know about blues, those are the Real Blues.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Molotov cocktail is the local drink, mixed up right in a locals sink. Boy do I feel like goin' off on U.S. foreign policy, but not here. Red staters can't hang with my philosophies, and I'll leave it at that. John Mayer is just a speck of sand on the vast blues beach.

Peace, Love, & Happiness,

Blue Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

This does raise another question, are Buddy and Eric trying to get a younger fan base by associating themselves with Mayer? Who is really helping who?

On the whole though I'm generally for it, if Mayer can lead some of his fans to exploring further the blues then his job is done for me. As these kids mature they will probably find they prefer Joe anyway smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

I discovered John Mayer a little after I discovered Joe. Speaking purely as a guitarist I find JMs approach very interesting, grab a guitar and play some of his tunes! .. very creative and not what you think they're going to be, for instance,  I sat down to learn 'Burning Room' and found the 'how' it was played was a great surprise.. along with 'Stop this Train'... a magical acoustic piece to play (IMHO). I strongly believe he's one of the cleverest songwriters of our time. Don't get me wrong we have many good song writers .. but songs from great songwriters are consistently good and don't follow a set formula ..i.e they don't all sound the bl00dy same. His writing is very insightful and shows he is more than just a fame seeking idiot who will crash and burn on various substances when he thinks he's 'arrived' and there is nothing else left to do.

One of his other strengths is his apparent ability to straddle pop/blues/soul effortlessly and yes, he may be able to take blues to audiences who would not normally be seen dead listening to blues but .. if he's said he's the only person who can take blues to a wider audience then he may just have made a rod for his own back. I'd say just do what you do and hope can affect a bigger change ... leave the hype for boxing promoters... they do it better smile

All the same, Mr Mayer is a very talented sod and appears to have a good head on his shoulders. Pray he stays that way. Now Joe Bonamassa, there's a thoroughly good egg who is set for the outer stratosphere in fame terms .... but he will probably always be the humble and very down to earth.

They're all making great music and its our good fortune to be hear to enjoy it. Play on boys, play on.

All I said was get a copy of the DVD. I didn't even mention the blues big_smile. And.....I wasn't aware that JM said that he's the only player taking the blues to the masses. When was this?

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

This on has been beat to death. I think we have covered John Mayer more than his fair share here. Starting to go political so this ones done.