Topic: JB @ Robin in Bilston

Saw JB last night @ The Robin .... It was a religious experience, truly outstanding. I'm going to see Robben Ford there in November(another Fretboard warrior I aspire to) I can't help thinking Robben has his work cut out to top last night.

Re: JB @ Robin in Bilston

Hi Nightfly

Glad you enjoyed the show.
What is the Robin like as a venue ?

Its an excellent venue, small enough to be a very atmospheric gig(quite intimate even) but big enough to get a good sized crowd in, rumoured to take about 700 but I think that would be pushing it a bit. Its recently been refurbished so the soggy sticky floor is gone and its all on 1 level now(used to be split over 2 levels). I can certainly recommend it.

To be perfectly honest, I dont think there is anyone playing at venues this size to compete with Joe Bonamassa.
Unfortunately he seems destined to take one giant step from a 300/400 capacity venue to something bigger, maybe the Academy in Birmingham capacity 600+ as did Government Mule or up to the  Synphony Hall as did John Mayall, National Indoor Arena  or the Larger arena at the NEC itself with capacity of thousands.
The cost then rockets from £12 like last night to £50 to see Clapton at the NEC, £40 ish for BB King.
Parking for the Academy costs more than the Tickets as often as not.
One consolation would be that he might afford a better backing band.
Last night was truly fantastic, the crowd, unlike last February was completely entranced and Joe came out of his shell and responded with an enthusiasm not seen on the previous tour.

"The blues had a baby and they called it Rock n Roll"
(Muddy Waters)

Came out of his shell?

6 (edited by pattyluvsjoe 2006-09-28 11:45:07)

...better backing band....hmmmmm...my personal opinion is that if everyone thought it was outstanding , that INCLUDES Mark and Bogie......

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Was introduced to the world of Joe last night. My dad and his friend convinced me to go with them, and Im so pleased I did. I had a truely amazing evening... couldnt come up with where to start when we were talking about the gig afterwards.

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

...better backing band....hmmmmm...my personal opinion is that if everyone thought it was outstanding , that INCLUDES Mark and Bogie......

I agree... the rest of the band was outstanding. They complimented Joe so well, and I think that he needs a band hes worked with for a while to achieve the sounds they do.

Well, I've seen JB 4 times now- including the Robin on Wednesday. Saw him last year at Derby with Eric and Kenny, earlier this year at Sheffield with new line up, at Nottingham last Tuesday and then the Robin the day after - Wednesday just gone. Which was the best performance? Well, apart from the first one last year -which is always your most memorable, the Robin one was probably number 2. The set list was identical to Tuesday night at Nottingham, the crowd less rowdy [although Nottingham Rescue Rooms is smaller and therefore more atmospheric] but the occasion seemed to bring out the best in all the band members. Joe's voice was a little hoarse, and the wah wah pedal he gave away on Tuesday night wasn't replaced until the encore, and Mark's bass was a little quiet from where I was standing, but otherwise it was the ultimate show.

Sometimes it's easy to look only as far as the guitar-hero part of the shows. The Times' article certainly did - and as a guitarist that's why I go and see Joe really. HOWEVER, there are so many different styles of music you are exposed to at a show: Slow Blues, Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Trad Blues [BB King], Jazz, Jazz Rock [Jeff Beck style] etc etc, that JB must be admired for giving the audience an education tour-de-force in MUSIC, MUSICALITY and MUSICIANSHIP. Sorry if that sounds pompous and up-my-own a*se, but it really struck me on Wednesday that the light and shade and sheer dynamics of the show made it so entertaining. 

Mustn't forget to mention that the drum solo was awesome - by far the best I've seen live [including Matt Abts -Govt Mule- last year].

I loved the encore so much -ZZ Top and Zeppelin - I'm sorry if some people [the Times' for example] see it as old hat. I don't see why it's OK to cover a Marvin Gaye song on X Factor or American Idol and get high praise, but old farty to do something with a rock base by a musician who clearly can do more than sing karaoke in the local boozer. Mind you the Times would probably criticise X Factor too.

Rant over, this tour has definitely been a success so far, and I hope it continues, because Joe deserves it, and I would like to thank him for his excellent performances this week that I feel privelidged to have seen.