1 (edited by Jane H. 2006-08-31 10:46:21)

Topic: Miss August 1, 2, and 3

Ok, some of you know I don't know many technical guitar terms.
In Joe's 2006 calendar, what exactly does round neck mean? that the fretboard-thing is rounded in the back?
thanks
Jane

Re: Miss August 1, 2, and 3

Jane H. wrote:

Ok, some of you know I don't know many technical guitar terms.
In Joe's 2006 calendar, what exactly does round neck mean? that the fretboard-thing is rounded in the back?
thanks
Jane

That refers to the fact that these guitars are/were traditionally played with the guitar strap around your neck only, rather than over one shoulder. The old blues masters affectionately called them, 'roundneck guitars...

darn you, i am not falling for that!

Jane H. wrote:

darn you, i am not falling for that!

But why?

Soap it like that! :-)

The terms square neck and round neck are terms usually used when talking about Dobro or Resonator style guitars.  A square neck guitar has a very flat finger board, has a tall nut, and is played on the guitarists lap with a slide.  A round neck Dobro or Resonator has a finger board that has a radius and is setup more or less like a typically guitar, usually played with a slide, and held like a typical guitar.

Thanks CodeTitan, do all Dobro or Respnator styles have that round metal thing in/on the body?
I had assumed before that dobro just meant played with a slide.
thanks

(ps I am ignoring Stu... smile )

I've been reading this as it went along.  I was wondering where it was headed.  What Stu failed to point out was, it's necessary to keep the strap on the back side of the neck.  Like a Sax is held and played.  If worn on the front of the neck, it greatly reduces the volume.

Just when I discovered the meaning of life, it changed.

Jane H. wrote:

Thanks CodeTitan, do all Dobro or Respnator styles have that round metal thing in/on the body?
I had assumed before that dobro just meant played with a slide.
thanks

Dobro is actually a brand name and are made by Gibson.  National is another company that makes resonator style guitars.  And yes, they all have the round metal thing in the body.  The round part that you are refering to houses one or more cones.  These cones give the guitar it's unique sonic quality and help amplify the sound.

Stu, sorry if I'm ruining the joke. smile

CodeTitan wrote:

Stu, sorry if I'm ruining the joke. smile

No problem! It seems that Jane wasn't going to bite this time anyways (DARN!). I had to give it a shot though...:-)

gibson is selling 60's neck guitars and '59 neck guitars. I wish they had a better way of explanation.  At least Fender has C,D,V, etc.  My LP custom from '73 has a very slim feel in the first position. I dont think they are re-making that neck.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I wish Epiphone would make a Les Paul with the 60's neck. I can't afford the Gibson.

Get a Gibson. You should be able to get a used LesPaul off of ebay between $900-1300.  Compare that to a $699 Epiphone Les Paul...its only a little more saving you have to do. I had an Epiphone LP and there was a bit of difference in feel, especially since I already own a couple Gibsons.  Save your money and it will be worth it.

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Yeah I agree. I have an Epi Lp that I got before my Gibson Standard (with the 60s neck, thats all they had in teh shop) and I think there is a HUGE difference in feel, and both construction and sound quality. To me they are miles apart. You owe it to yourself to save up a bit longer and get the Gibson. Try eBay or the newspaper classifieds. Sometimes shops have mega discount days and you can get guitars for cheaper.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

I totally agree with that. 

I also like to go for the used ones for a couple reasons. 

New ones really need to be broken in.  New ones feel "hard, and edgy" to me when I slide my hands up and down the neck.  Any LP from the 70's or possibly the 80's would have a little more comfort without making you close your bank account. Also, if there's any dings that came with it, you won't feel as bad (or be as noticable) than if you purchased a new one.