1 (edited by old rock fan 2008-02-28 11:53:23)

Topic: Hi to all from a Scot living in Ripon, England

Don't know why I've not done this before but here goes.
As the moniker suggests I think of myself as an old rock fan but always open to something new. The reality might be something different when I think about my music collection.
Fave bands of all time are Zeppelin and Tull, closely followed by "newer" bands like Kings X and Dream Theater. Some of you will know these last 2 are hardly new i.e. 20 years old as opposed to 40 years old!
However, the passion to see an artist or band in concert (if possible) having been hooked by their music still burns bright thankfully (dodgy metaphor I know). I can still remember what it was like the first time I heard a tune called Heartbreaker by a band called Led Zeppelin. One such new band that has hooked me and caused me to travel the breadth of the country in thew last 2 and a bit years is Alter Bridge. Got my wife to go to one gig and enjoy bits of it even though she prefers 80's music (new romantic c**p and the like).

The other, you will have surmised by now, is Joe. I hadn't actually heard of him or anything by him until I was given a ticket to see a blues artist called Joe Bonamassa at some small hall in South Shields in late September 2006. My musical tastes had been focused more on hard rock / metal for a couple of years and "blues" by any new artist didn't get a look in. I decided to go to the gig because 1) it was reasonably close to where I used to work and 2) I'd got the ticket in my hand.
What an evening. My gob was truly smacked listening to him play blues / rock, the like of which I hadn't heard since Gary Moore in the 70's (not the 90's). I felt I could hear a number of influences in his playing but what the hell, he was doing it better!! Went and bought (honest) all his albums to see what I had been missing as well as Rockpalast. Got to Shepherds Bush last March and sprinted to a space at the front & middle to see what he was doing, and did even better this time at the The Cockpit (right behind Michael & Geoff).

Thanks to Tripsy for the prompt.

My name is Colin and I am a Joe-aholic.

Re: Hi to all from a Scot living in Ripon, England

I see Col. So you're both a fan of old rock, as well as being an old sod who likes rock. big_smile

You're in good company around here, so welcome.

Here's my intro - http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3607

George

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

3 (edited by Libby 2008-02-29 01:38:06)

old rock fan wrote:

What an evening. My gob was truly smacked listening to him play

Colin,

Welcome, welcome to the forum!!!!  You will have a great time here with us!  So glad you've been able to see Joe perform a number of times now.  Sometimes I have trouble attempting to describe the whole "Joe experience" to the uneducated.  Now I'll just tell them that "my gob was truly smacked", right?!!

You, my friend, are in the right place for what ails you.

smile  Libby  smile

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

old rock fan wrote:

Welcome to the fold Colin. You're in the right place brother. I've only been here a few days, but have been made to feel most welcome.

My 1st jaw-floor interface happened on the 22nd at Crewe, and have not looked back since. Now got 4 of his albums on a 24 hour rotation, and Rockpalast on the way.

Glad you joined us! smile

Paul

"Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman."
                                                                                                   Ludwig Van Beethoven

Hi Colin smile

Welcome.. I'm like PaulB74... saw Joe live for the first time in Crewe last Friday. Like you I'd never sought out the Blues, preferring (I thought) classic Rock & Prog Rock, I simply cannot believe what I have been missing.

I think Joe's music & playing just "connects", I don't know why it does, but it does. I'm trying not to over-analyse it and just enjoy it!

I've already discovered that the forum is full of great people.. warm, friendly Joe-aholic people!

Enjoy!

Cheshire_Lass/Libby

Cheshire_Lass/Libby smile  (Bonabaptised: 22 Feb '08)

If I'm alive when I'm 99 I'm still gonna be saying, "Remember 4th May 2009 when we saw Joe at the RAH... what a night that was!"

A very warm welcome from me too, from not far away Holland!

Enjoy your stay on this forum. I'm an old one too, but  with a very young music heart!!

Andre Witebroek.

Hi Colin.

A very warm welcome.

Tha sounds a bit like me !!
Led Zep.
I know exactly what you mean by Heartbreaker - a favourite of mine.
My ear pricking moment was Communication Breakdown and Whole Lotta Love. It came through the air at the youth club music room via a sampler LP (LP !! Ha  that takes me back) called Age of Atlantic. All the other tracks I thnk were soul type sounds, but the Zeps made my hair stand on end.....and only about 40 years ago !!

Andre - for some reason, your posts made me think you were a young 'un. Keep it up old bean smile

Hi Colin, welcome to Joe world!! Haven't seen Joe live yet but I think, thanks to Youtube, my gob has been smacked already. Glad to see a record number of new UK Joe fans joining up!! Post often smile

Mary

LOL-ler-tastic.

Hi Colin

Welcome aboard from another old rock fan also named Colin but her I am known as millhouse due to my parents being big Nixon fans.

Oh and I too am a Scot.

Peace and Jam

millhouse:):):)

"Stars fall like tears from your eyes"

millhouse wrote:

I am known as millhouse due to my parents being big Nixon fans.

Such cruelty. I would never forgive them.

big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Hi Colin
You may be an old rock fan but you're in good company here. Wow! getting given a ticket and getting your bonabaptism quite by chance. No wonder your gob was well and truly spanked!!
All the best
Tripsy

Welcome Colin, from one old sod who likes to rock to another smile

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Amsterhammer wrote:
millhouse wrote:

I am known as millhouse due to my parents being big Nixon fans.

Such cruelty. I would never forgive them.

big_smile

Only jokin.

Pretty bubbles in the air..........................

Peace and Jam

millhouse

millhouse wrote:

Only jokin.

Pretty bubbles in the air..........................

Peace and Jam

millhouse

Glad to hear it! *winks*

...and like my dreams they fade and die....

Love, peace and Woodstock dude. big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Welcome Colin

I was going tell you all about myself as a fellow old rocker but nurse wants me back in my room for my medication. Welcome to the forum

Welcome Colin, you're in good company. Zep were always my favourites too. You've reminded me of late night listening (in the dark - very atmospheric) to Zeps I & II in my bedroom on an old Dansette type record player. You remember the ones that held a stack of records which flopped down onto the turntable. Happy days. smile

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

A politician, a crook and a liar? Well that's unusual isn't it smile:):):):):):):)

Peace and Jam

millhouse(not the crooked ex president)

BluesMan wrote:

Quoting former President Nixon: "I am not a crook!" http://www.msnbc.com/onair/msnbc/timean … ov1773.asp

Yeah right! lol

Roy