Topic: NEW MEMBERS Brigitte and Dave

Hello everyone, we posted on the other board and David informed us to come here and join all of you, so thanks and here we are. 
We are the host of a website dedicated to the band Ten Years After who played at Woodstock 1969 with Alvin Lee on guitar. The band is still together and touring Europe, the UK and just came back from a little stint in the USA. Alvin went solo in 1974 so the band discovered Joe Gooch to cover that position. To learn more, you're all invited to view our websites.
www.ten-years-after.com and www.alvinlee.de for the best of both worlds.

Thanks again, and enjoy!
Brigitte and Dave

Re: NEW MEMBERS Brigitte and Dave

Hey Brigitte & Dave:

This is my first time to post to this Board also. Welcome.

I saw your interest in Ten Years After. Great band for sure.
I was hoping to see TYA at the Sonora Blues Fest a couple years back, but they did not show. They said there were some visa issues or something. Hope to catch them sometime down the road.
Glad you enjoy Joe and the Boys.

RockinRon

Two kinds of women in this world. Theres naughty and there's nice
Any man will tell you that one is a virtue
And the other is a Vice.
Warren Haynes-Inside Outside Women Blues #3-By a Thread

Hello Rockin Ron,
Thanks for your kind welcome, and a very warm welcome to you in return. Yes, Ten Years After was going to play the Sonora Blues Festival, but as you correctly pointed out, visa problems blocked their way into the USA. But, I do have some good news for you though. Ten Years After will be coming your way in September! Monday September 4, 2006 in fact. Sausalito - The Sausalito Art Festival. This is hot off the press as it came directly from Ric Lee and Leo Lyons. We've just posted all the new tour dates on our site, the links are below so I won't take up Joe's space by posting them again. Come to think of it, would someone kindly ask Joe to put a link from his website to ours! Now that would be nice. I can also tell you this for a fact, Joe Bonamassa and Ten Years After's Joe Gooch should get together and perform live at the same venue or outdoor festival, then people could see for themselves what all the excitement is all about. Two of the best guitarist around today - and well into the future!!!

TEN YEARS AFTER WITHOUT ALVIN LEE
IS NOT TYA.
IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

Hello Blueser, opinions vary from person to person and of course you have a right to yours. But considering that you don't offer your real name, location or a website, I don't really believe your credibility is at all intact here or anywhere for that matter. You shouldn't have taken a short cut to real thinking, then your lame comment may have carried a little more valitity - but don't bet on it, and I'm just being polite.

And without mentioning other names.
Others feel the same way.
And I can get on a verbal screed about this.
But I aint.
So lets end it here.

I heard a new song by them. I liked it. Not that it sounded Like TYA of old but because it was good in its own way. What is Alvin Lee up to these days? Why isn't he still with them?

Saw them last month in Cleveland at Wilberts and they sounded great. Ive got a batch
of confused emotions about this whole thing cause on the one hand ive grown up listening to TYA with Alvin Lee on guitar and like others thought that Alvin Lee was TYA,
period, but after seeing them recently with Joe Gooch on guitar I was very suprised to see how well he pulls off those tunes. He is one great guitarist. The thing that saddens me most is that this guy is so very good but because of the roll he's taken on he'll probably never get a fair shot at the respect his talent deserves.

Okay
That opinion sounds cool.
To the people who host the TYA website.
Maybe seeing those guys and hearing a cd could change my mind.
Didn't mean to offend anyone.
And to those guys who host website.
Do TYA have new work with new guitarist with soundclips.
I promise to keep an open mind.

Search on the old forum to get my opinion on Ten Years After without Alvin is just not. Not sorry to say either. I am not saying I couldn't enjoy tremendously and even thoroughly the current lineup, as I INTEND to do just that, but it's still like having a stepdad or something...Please don't rag me because I am a huge fan of BOTH the band and Alvin Lee and yeah it's just a name but please it's ingrained.  Choosing to clone yourself after another is a decision open to derision.  I understand this completely because WHO THE HELL WOULD GO SEE
the band without the name coattails? Yes me, and others, but more go for the residual (original) name!...but the name is the draw and Alvin was the name that drew to the band name...and no amount of new material can escape reference to the past, even with a hit! A name change and a hit would however.  I guess if ALvin gets his cut still I should shut the hell up.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

11 (edited by Rocket 2006-04-28 06:28:19)

Alvin is always busy and he recorded with Scotty Moore, Elvis' gutarist and one of Alvin's idols...sorta like his version of Eric Clapton's "From the Cradle" to me!  He has tons of catalog too including those real Ten Years After relelases

Rocket

David wrote:

I heard a new song by them. I liked it. Not that it sounded Like TYA of old but because it was good in its own way. What is Alvin Lee up to these days? Why isn't he still with them?

He hasn't been with them 30+ years! Things had perhaps gotten stagnant? Or is at an impasse a better descriptor? Stinky?! OR showing work, 1>3, but 3=1 was not true, so 3>1 true in math but not that band AND the rest is history and the band is NAND anymore (without Alvin Lee)...

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Hello Rocket, you made your point about Ten Years After very clear, and I'm not here on Joe's message board to debate the TYA name issue. I can make the name situation very easy though, it was Ten Years After featuring Alvin Lee - TYA is the name of the band and Alvin Lee was the guitarist in the band. Ric Lee, Leo Lyons and Chick Churchill are Ten Years After. That's the reason why they kept the name and still using it today, for they have not only earned the right, but they in fact own the name. It is my understanding that Ric Lee owns the TYA trademark. Also, three guys against one wins in any court in the land.  Case closed!

13 (edited by Rocket 2006-04-29 09:49:16)

I understand legalities and I address this in my life from a fan viewpoint and my heart says Ten After is Alvin Lee & Company.
My brain is no court and may be debated to be brain dead in an actual court, but it says the band would be WHAT? today if he had never been associated with "it"?! I am not as big a "Ten Years After" afficionado obviously, so I defer to "let's disagree" and I just suffice to say, uh, uhm, "I prefer the guitarist and his talents to any ex-bandmates", somewhat relevant beyond Alvin Lee...peaceful truce with love!

Rocket

14 (edited by Stu Craig 2006-04-29 10:49:16)

Rocket wrote:

I understand legalities and I address this in my life from a fan viewpoint and my heart says Ten After is Alvin Lee & Company.
My brain is no court and may be debated to be brain dead in an actual court, but it says the band would be WHAT? today if he had never been associated with "it"?! I am not as big a "Ten Years After" afficionado obviously, so I defer to "let's disagree" and I just suffice to say, uh, uhm, "I prefer the guitarist and his talents to any ex-bandmates", somewhat relevant beyond Alvin Lee...peaceful truce with love!

Rocket

I don't know whether to start a new thread and carry this on, or just put it here...I guess I'll just chime in here. I tend to agree with you, and for me it goes beyond Alvin Lee & TYA. I recall seeing The Guess Who several years ago and the only remaining member of the band from classic lineup was the bass player Jim Kale - no Randy Bachman, no Burton Cummins. They acutally played well and sounded good but it was not the same. The same thing happened at a recent Alice Cooper show I attended. Alice has some great players in his band, and they did an incredible job playing the old classics, but it still wasn't the same as seeing Bruce/Buxton/Dunaway/Smith.

There is a certain synergy that occurs when the right mix of musicians are combined, and it does effect the overall product. It is like a good steak. A good steak can be seasoned a number of ways. The flavor can and will be effected by the seasonings, even though the steak remains the same. It's the same way in music. You can add, change or remove parts of the band, but it is going to effect the flavor of the music - even thought the songs remains the same. I think some folks just have more sohpisticated tastes...

Stu,
I betcha someone's thinking: That could be applied to a certain other band that has different members now too. smile

Stu Craig wrote:

There is a certain synergy that occurs when the right mix of musicians are combined, and it does effect the overall product. It is like a good steak. A good steak can be seasoned a number of ways. The flavor can and will be effected by the seasonings, even though the steak remains the same. It's the same way in music. You can add, change or remove parts of the band, but it is going to effect the flavor of the music - even thought the songs remains the same. I think some folks just have more sohpisticated tastes...

You summed it up very nicely!

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

Hello again Rocket, No problem at all, and there really is no debate from my point of view. In fact, when we divided our website into two different parts - that being the "Classic" TYA and TYA "NOW" I always said it was the best of both worlds for the band and their fans. It's a simple choice. Not here or on our site do we take sides, we call it as we see it and move forward. 
I'm ready for the next topic.
Respect to you Rocket!

Hi Dave                                                                                                                    Just got my hands on a copy of the 11-12-2005 De Mollenheide, Schijndel, Holland
show. Its either a soundboard or a very close cardoid recording. Do you have that one yet ?

Bob