Topic: Music Listening Options

I've been searching for a high resolution/HD cds web site to better my library.  ITunes doesn't quite fit the bill for my new music system that has DAC, but it'd be nice to get a cd already loaded with a better recording/remastering.  I'd appreciate any help from audiophiles that visit this forum.

Re: Music Listening Options

Curby wrote:

I've been searching for a high resolution/HD cds web site to better my library.  ITunes doesn't quite fit the bill for my new music system that has DAC, but it'd be nice to get a cd already loaded with a better recording/remastering.  I'd appreciate any help from audiophiles that visit this forum.

I've noticed that a lot of the re-master sets, such as Jethro Tull's include a DVD with a 5.1 audio mix, so it will be down to how you view TV and with what soundbar system you have. Not sure if these are the same as SACDs..?

As for CD suggestions, here's a few that I've seen touted: -
Rock Candy Funk Party - Live at the Iridium
Warren Wolf - Reincarnation
Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the Jerome Kern Song Book
Tool - Fear Inoculum
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
Lee Ritenour - Rhythm Sessions
Alison Krauss + Union Station Live

And I think I have a SACD version of Ian Gillan's Gillan's Inn (think it's the tour version of a "best of" of re-recorded tracks he did to celebrate 40ys of recording).

As usual though, you may have to trawl through Japanese importers, as they're usually ahead of the curve (I've a copy of Bowie's heroes on a Gold CD somewhere; Japanese import).

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Thanks Mike for the response.  I contacted Apple today about my music site freezing up and after we fixed that problem I asked about why no Flac on iTunes.  His response was you can get Flac type recordings on Apple Music that’s for Apple  computers only.  I have Microsoft and it only gets AAC, not Flac
I’ve been recording Super deluxe remastered albums onto cds with good results, a better direction though would be a website of 24 bit cds to buy from.  I’ll keep you posted.

I don’t recall seeing many SACD’s around, although I know Dark Side of The Moon (30th anniversary) is because I’ve got it. Unfortunately my music system isn’t hi-tech enough to appreciate the enhanced sound.

Must admit, since Curby started this thread, I've been having a poke around some far and not so far flung music sites, and there are a lot of SACDs out there, though some prices are on the outrageous side.

In terms of quality, it's like comparing DVD to Blu-ray, but like the latter, you need to upgrade your equipment too. Even though the format pre-dates the download craze (came out 1999), it think it's the download sites that have limited SACD spread.

Well, with the surge in vinyl still riding high, maybe there's hope for those of us who are challenged in terms of storage space.

6 (edited by Curby 2024-01-26 12:22:25)

BansheeUK wrote:

Must admit, since Curby started this thread, I've been having a poke around some far and not so far flung music sites, and there are a lot of SACDs out there, though some prices are on the outrageous side.

In terms of quality, it's like comparing DVD to Blu-ray, but like the latter, you need to upgrade your equipment too. Even though the format pre-dates the download craze (came out 1999), it think it's the download sites that have limited SACD spread.

Well, with the surge in vinyl still riding high, maybe there's hope for those of us who are challenged in terms of storage space.

At the turn of the century CDs ruled the music market and twenty plus years later streaming music has taken over.  Also during this period it became harder and harder to find a store selling anything but Swiftie or Rap at anywhere other than Walmart. Today CDs are third, behind vinyl and audio-cassette.  Amazing.  Mike's spot on about SACD technology getting lost in the upheaval, but it's still around.
I used to buy my music on iTunes hoping the remastered remixed music had the latest sound quality 24 bit recordings.  What I found is that stuff is AAC designated.  For Apple computers you can get Apple Music that includes FLAC, HD, etc. 
Not planning to get an Apple computer I purchased a very high end sound system for headphones.  I started burning CDs from my "treatment" downloads with acceptable success, but I want more.  Yesterday I ordered three SACD albums off Amazon.  I'll report the results in the future.

Curby wrote:

I buy cd's and rip them to flac files.

I listen with Holo Spring Dac / Tube amp /  ZMF Headphones

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

Lester wrote:

I don’t recall seeing many SACD’s around, although I know Dark Side of The Moon (30th anniversary) is because I’ve got it. Unfortunately my music system isn’t hi-tech enough to appreciate the enhanced sound.

Unless it's a hybrid SACD cd it won't play on a regular cd player.  Yes, when the new format came out it was almost overrun by the new wave of digital streaming music.  Thankfully there's been a resurgence of Super Audio that's compatible with everyone's old players. 
I recently bought two Be Bop Deluxe cds that have stereo remastering that's incredible on my new system.  I burned the downloaded digital version that has some great live songs off their first American tour (not included on the cd).  I'm glad I got the live stuff cause it really showcased BBD's brilliance.

Be Bop DeLuxe - there’s a band you don’t hear mentioned very often.
Have to admit I haven’t listened to Bill Nelson and the band for more years than I care to remember.
Who remembers minidisc and DAT cassettes - neither format caught on, along with Sony Betamax.
Showing my age now.

I wonder if it's been because a lot of these "older bands" didn't rush in to get their back-catalogues digitally transferred and took advantage of the improved tech. I remember when the big Led Zepp box set came out, it wasn't the be-all & end-all even though Page oversaw the project...

Still, nothing wrong with a bit of Bill nelson's reverb through the cans....

I don't know about DAT cassettes, but I remember the change from the Ferric to Chrome Dioxide wasn't the saviour that labels hoped it would be against the introduction of Cds. A school-mate of mine though, he mourned the phasing out of reel-to-reel recorders...

11 (edited by Curby 2024-02-25 01:38:25)

I bought a SACD cd of Aerosmith's Toys In the Attic.  Remastered by Steve Hoffman.  I replaced my new stereo headphones to a Meze Audio Elite to go with my tube headphone preamplifier and DAC SACD/CD player by McIntosh.  TitA in SACD is extremely rare and people say it's almost a different album in this format.
My favorite Aerosmith song is actually off Get Your Wings.....

https://youtu.be/a_GchifNRh0?si=ukNDW1O5Mo-B7Kao

Well a lot of information has soaked my brain in a good way....I think.
First off there's more than just SACD to get your High Resolution fix.  That's the good news, but the reality is none of the cds, nor vinyl treatments are cheap.  I've bought over 20 CDs and they're all like sitting in at the studio. 
Like I've stated before my nostalgic focus is 1967 to 1977.  I still listen to great blues albums, but they are regular cd pressings.  What I've rediscovered has been my love of The Doors.

Curby wrote:

Well a lot of information has soaked my brain in a good way....I think.
First off there's more than just SACD to get your High Resolution fix.  That's the good news, but the reality is none of the cds, nor vinyl treatments are cheap.  I've bought over 20 CDs and they're all like sitting in at the studio. 
Like I've stated before my nostalgic focus is 1967 to 1977.  I still listen to great blues albums, but they are regular cd pressings.  What I've rediscovered has been my love of The Doors.

Don't know if they qualify as SACD but Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs has just had a bells & whistles 50th anniversary do-over and slightly late of it's 50th, Deep Purple's Machine head has been re-mastered by Dweezil Zappa, though you might find this a bit of an "investment" as it's a 3CD + 2LP box set.

If you're still leaning to the Prog of that era, Van Der Graaf Generator are trawling their back-catalogue, Still Life and Vital being the latest re-masters. And a band that you may not be acquainted with, I say "may" tentatively, is Nektar; a British band that were lauded in Germany more than they were at home, their 1975 Recycled album gets a 5-disc make-over, joining the earlier Remember The Future.

As I said over on Other Artists, I treat myself to some sale-priced Rolling Stones CDs, half of them Japanese SHM-CDs while others are 2009 re-issue/remasters.

Goats Head Soup (Japanese SHM-CD)
Tattoo You
It's Only Rock n Roll (Japanese SHM-CD)
Some Girls
Black and Blue
Emotional Rescue (Japanese SHM-CD)
Dirty Work (Japanese SHM-CD)

There's only Goats Head Soup where I have a duplication, so it's the only one I can comment on in terms of quality difference. And the difference is amazing. I don't have mega-bucks hi-fi equipment, just a mid-range Panasonic SA-PMX92 that I use most frequently. The difference in the depth and the "brightness" of the sound from the SHM-CD is amazing; no wonder they usually retail around the £25 in the UK (Still, cheaper than most vinyl), so to pick the CDs up for £10 is well worth it. (The non-SHM-CDs were £5).
And as with other Japanese music imports, remember to keep the obi safe.

Still on my "Stones-kick", picked up a CD copy of Their Satanic Majesties Request the other day, that's worth mentioning here. It's not a SHM-CD as some of the others, it's a DSD remaster (or restoration) done by a company called ABKCO. It cost me the princely sum of £5...
edit - also picked up similar Get Yer Ya-Yas Out

ABKCO is active in the release of compilations and reissues from its catalogs, film and commercial placement of its master recordings and music publishing properties. Jody Klein, president of ABKCO,[6] has been credited in the liner notes of the recordings in not only getting the Cameo-Parkway recordings (which he partially owns) finally released, but also overseeing an extensive remastering of the Rolling Stones, the Animals, Herman’s Hermits, and Sam Cooke's 1960s recordings

I avoid the box sets for some reason but I’ve bought single SHM albums of bands (Beatles and Zeppelin) cause that’s all they have.  The headphones I bought have been a game changer.

Was able to witness a total eclipse of the sun yesterday.  At 2pm the sky went dark for 4+ minutes and you could see  black moon with a fiery ring around it.  An incredible sight that won’t return until for 347 years here.

I can understand that folks may not want all the extras that come in some album box-sets; am I right that it only seems to be Jethro Tull who release the main remastered album as a separate disc?

18 (edited by Curby 2024-04-17 10:25:54)

https://youtu.be/tQDyU_58IzQ?si=g0iUXyTW4AqnE6FY

I recently discovered these remasterings of one of my favorite guitarists of all time.  I owned all his records, but my favorite is Wind of Change.
I bought the Intervention SACD last night.  Hope