1 (edited by Coach305 2023-11-14 19:43:37)

Re: Arvest Bank Theatre at the Midland - Kansas City, MO 11/10/23

It was a little over four years ago (November 2, 2019) when Joe last visited Kansas City. The Midland is a great venue, which you can read about in my review of the 2019 show: https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?id=30702

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the pre-show Meet & Greet. I brought along Laura, my Custom Shop '58 Historic. I wrote about her here: https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?id=31609  Since I made that post I have taken my own pictures of her, of which this one is the best: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52889850@ … ed-public/  Because of the guitar's Royal Tea Burst finish, I also asked Joe to sign the cover of the Blu-Ray of his Ryman Auditorium performance of that album (I am one of the cutouts in the "audience" at the end of the show). Most of the time when I bring guitars to these events I am holding them when the picture is taken, but Joe asked if he could hold Laura for this pic, just as he had for our first encounter (see my avatar pic). I was of course delighted to agree: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52889850@ … ed-public/

The band this time around included Josh, Reese, Calvin, Lemar, Jade, and Dani, all of whom were terrific. And, for a change, I don't have to envy fans at other dates on the tour who get special guest stars, as the amazing Kirk Fletcher joined Joe and the band for a couple of numbers! cool

The set list:

• Hope You Realize It (Goodbye Again) - The lights dimmed at the conclusion of the intro recording (Kansas City, of course), then the band tore into this track from Blues Deluxe Vol. 2. Joe started the show playing the '61 Gibson SG Standard with the sideways vibrola, and Reese got a nice early spotlight moment.

• Twenty-Four Hour Blues - Joe switched to a Les Paul burst (the one with the pickup covers off) for this one. A '58, I think...

• Well, I Done Got Over It - Joe stayed with that LP as we got another great number from his latest album. When I last saw Joe back in August of 2022 he basically played the entire Time Clocks album, which was awesome. We will wind up hearing six of the ten tracks from his latest album in this set...

• Self-Inflicted Wounds - Switching to a different LP burst with the pickup covers on, Joe led the band through a powerful rendition of one of the best tracks from his Redemption album. Jade had a nice spotlight moment in this one.

• I Want to Shout About It - Joe played a classic hardtail sunburst Strat with a rosewood neck for this raucous romp. It featured terrific spotlight moments for Reese and Josh, and Dani blew me away with her solo as well. One of the evening's highlights...

• The Last Matador of Bayonne - Switching to a gorgeous cherry red stoptail ES 335, Joe reached all the way back to one of my favorite albums, Dust Bowl, for this slow-burning original tune.

• Breaking Up Somebody's Home - Joe stuck with the ES 335 for this track from the Three Kings tour set list. Kirk Fletcher joined the band for this one, and he and Reese both had excellent spotlight moments...

• At this point Joe stopped for a bit of stage patter, including a memory of his days playing at KC's Grand Emporium "for tens of dollars." He also alluded to "solving mysteries on the side" when touring in those days, a hilarious Scooby Doo reference that many folks probably missed. He also introduced each band member. Calvin's hat and Jade's tambourine also got mentioned... lol

• The Heart That Never Waits - Joe brought out The Bludgeon for one of my favorite tracks from Time Clocks. They have also been playing Curtain Call at other stops on this tour, but I guess that was what they decided to cut to make room for Breaking Up Somebody's Home. In any case, this was a rousing rendition, as Joe shows again why The Bludgeon is such a marvelous instrument...

• Is It Safe to Go Home - For this Josh Smith original from Blues Deluxe Vol. 2, Joe went back to the first LP burst we saw tonight. This haunting tune has really been growing on me, and seeing it performed live was a special treat. Outstanding...

• Lazy Poker Blues - Joe stuck with the burst when the sixth song from BDV2 began, but switched to a '58 Korina Explorer part of the way through. Kirk returned for this one, and we also got spotlight performances from Reese and Josh.

• Just Got Paid - For this blast from Joe's past, he stayed with the Explorer, and the famed theremin also came into play! cool Lemar's drum solo was very tasty, and got a loud ovation. This song has always made a great set closer, though there are others in his catalog that also fit that spot well. We certainly got a rollicking version of this one tonight, and the crowd was on its feet throughout...

• Mountain Time - The Bludgeon made its return for this fan favorite encore number. As always, this one moved me to tears, but in a good way.  A great way to cap off an outstanding two-hour show!

If you have a chance to catch Joe and the band on this tour, you definitely should. You will get your money's worth!

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

The Midland has a rich history, having been known by various names over the years, including Loew’s Midland Theatre, Saxon Theatre, Midland Stadium, Midland 1-2-3 Theatre, and The Midland by AMC.

Williamson2004 wrote:

The Midland has a rich history, having been known by various names over the years, including Loew’s Midland Theatre, Saxon Theatre, Midland Stadium, Midland 1-2-3 Theatre, and The Midland by AMC.

This is certainly true, but as I noted in my review of the previous Joe show I saw here, I am not a fan of the current seating in the sections closest to the stage. Other, similar theaters where I have seen Joe (i.e., the Orpheum in Omaha, the Stifel in St. Louis, etc.) have much more comfortable seating...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO