Topic: Cleveland House of Blues

Well it seems that there is a love/hate thing with the HOB in cleveland.. The whole thing boils down to this simple fact.. Do you kill the people in front with volume so the ones in the back can hear clearly..  I dont want to hurt anybody so we try to keep it down to a low roar..  I have been told its too loud, its too soft and its just right .. Its difficult to satisfy everybody all the time.. Yes it was not loud enough in the back my dad told me so..  But up front it was very loud and in the upper section it was loud..  What would you have done in my shoes?
Joe Bonamassa

Re: Cleveland House of Blues

Joe,
I say let er rip. The people in front know they should be wearing earplugs. Seriously, I thought I heard someone say the baffle alleviated that problem.

Joe, nobody's faulting you for the problems with these venues. We know you and your crew are doing the best you can with what you've got to work with. And we all love you so much we'd come see you play in a closet.

It's human nature to complain when we're disappointed. I know I've been guilty of excessive bitching here and I'm sorry it's made you feel you're somehow at fault. Hopefully people will be made aware that when they go to a show the sound system can be iffy and to move around to a better location if they can. I know I certainly will next time.

Keep on rocking, Joe. I truly appreciate that I'm able to see you as much as I do. That's so much more important than whether the show is perfect or not, believe me.

Nancy in Chicago

I'm just saying.

Hey Joe,   Hang in there buddy!  Luv ya',  pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

I've been to several different HOB venues. They are all cool and unique, but the sound is somewhat of a challenge for lots of different reasons.

I think HOB is a great venue for you (Joe) to be playing. A little bigger place. HOB is also one of the bigger promoters (behind Live Nation), as they have many more venues that are not just HOB clubs. I think if they see a trend happening that is great business with Joe in the house, it can only help things.

What is the old saying? You can make all of the people happy some of the time, you can make some of the people happy all of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time........

Getting everything right 100% of the time is an admirable goal, but it is just not realistic. Don't be too hard on yourself. Do your best and let the chips fall where they may. You have to enjoy it as well.

That being said - I agree with the first reply; turn it up.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

pcornell, You are so wise,calm,and reassuring.....thanks,  pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Sell ear plugs at the merch area and go to "11."

I'd rather say a concert was too loud, but that I *heard* the concert rather than volume at a whisper.

People at the front should expect some volume.  That shouldn't surprise anyone.
Plus, if it bothers them, they can move further back.  If you turn down, then everyone that wants to hear is going to move forward or be disappointed.

Hi Patty- Carbon copy the same feelings about Phil, although sometimes he may think I'm a little hysterical, and not the funny kind like Ron White... He is one funny guy! sidenote - Ron White says he's a big fan of the blues in one of his skits...

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

pcornell, You are so wise,calm,and reassuring.....thanks,  pattyluvsjoe

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

If it's too loud then they're too old. Tell 'em to stand further back wink

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Typically, excessive volume can be expected up front; but there's no perspective from which I'd rather see a show so ear plugs are in my camera case at all times.  Short of playing ancient Greek or empirical Roman ampitheatres, which were engineered to ensure that sound rolled its way to the top and was distributed evenly throughout, it seems practically impossible to get it just right every time at every show.  I know near nothing about it, but the multitude of venues' shapes, sizes, configurations, and intended purposes make perfection an unattainable goal.  For me, though, the consistently flawless performances far outweigh any discrepancies with sound.

"The Blues is like a tonic for all that ails you."  BB King

Rock ON & Keep the Faith!

Hey all. Great posts here today. I know I complained about the venue but not about Joe. I learned a valuable lesson last weekend but thats just me. I allways have to lose first  to win but that makes the next time a much better experience. As far as the level Joe was playing at really didnt bother me too much. I can say that I could at least hear what was being played. I think Joe could turn it up a few notches and I dont think it would really hurt anyone but then again, I was in the back. I posted awhile back about Robin Trowers show. That was ridiculis loud!! It was crazy Loud!!!! I couldnt hear for about three days. The last show that did that to me was the Doobie Bros back in the early 90s. You dont know when to expect the levels of a show really until you get there and I try and make a point of bringing ear plugs for now on.
I think many pf us here just wanted to express some thoughts on the show. How will Joe ever know if something is wrong if people dont say anything as long as it dont get out of control? Keep on Rawkin Joe! Cant wait for the next show!!!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

12 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2007-02-08 18:45:54)

I agree with he turn it up philosophy, because:
a) I like it loud!!
b) the ear responds more linearly-equally to any given frequency as volume increases (example:remember the old stereo "loudness" button, it compensated for the low and high end by boosting them until you cranked it to where it was not need anymore)  c) you can always put something in your ears-ear plugs, fingers, or ( don't laugh ), go to the rest room and wet some toilet paper/paper towel balls and insert-it prevents pain and you can still converse and hear the program too!!!

Joe's playing larger rooms so the volume has GOT to be there.

14 (edited by SRV-Rocks 2007-02-08 18:42:39)

Joe, thanks for the comments it is appreciated.  The show was good just use this information for the future when you come back.

Didn,t like the reserved seating in the pit but that may be because I didn't expect it as they told me this was the first time is was done.

Overall a good show and hope that you can come back and sell the place out again.

Zoso if you come back let me know. We can hook up for pops.

Its a rule of the road:
If you are going to be 'front row' - bring ear plugs...its not just a good idea.That's basic math/physics.
One cannot expect reasonable volumes at a venue when you are closest one to the speakers.

I remember seeing Joe in Appleton, WI.  I asked the man working the tshirt booth if they sold earplugs - he said "put cigarette butts you can put in your ears!" I went to the bathroom and shoved toilet paper in my ears - worked terriffic!

As a musician you go for the 'greater good' - whatever volume that may be.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

16 (edited by Juice night 2023-09-18 03:39:51)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

What would you have done in my shoes?
Joe Bonamassa

Hello Joe! Use natural
formations - mountains, rocks and gorges, creating acoustic halls in them, achieving sound waves that no electronics can transmit wink

like in Colorado Red Rocks Park

Hello Joe! Use natural
formations - mountains, rocks and gorges, creating acoustic halls in them, achieving sound waves that no electronics can transmit wink

like in Colorado Red Rocks Park

I don't know if Cleveland, Ohio had an alternate venue of similar size back in 2007 (or now, for that matter); so, do you either play the venue booked, or disappoint the good people of Cleveland and go to an alternate city in search of a better venue? The final choice of venue is not always down to the artist, though I expect feedback, good or bad would be given after the show. No doubt there are music venues near you where the sound isn't as good as you'd like.

I'd hate to think the cost though of transporting the whole audience 1,300 miles from Cleveland to Red Rock Park and back.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...