Re: What song are you listening to right now?

You can’t beat a bit of Pet Shop Boys for some 80’s nostalgia.

Lester wrote:

You can’t beat a bit of Pet Shop Boys for some 80’s nostalgia.

If you want some 80's nostalgia, Wet Wet Wet & Go West are co-headlining dates next January & February

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Just treat myself to an acoustic, instrumental album, with a folky twist: Bright Edge Deep by Jim Ghedi & Toby Hay

Now that Summer is showing it's face; the perfect album to sit back with and enjoy something long & cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxOIBvUwi0

Oli Brown - Prologue EP  (2023)

You know that cliché, "things get better with age"? Well, here's living proof, and I don't think he's 30 wet-through... Much missed off the UK Blues circuit in recent years, though he did experiment for a while with a very heavy power-trio, Oli is easing himself back into creating new music, when not doubling up as a credible silversmith.

prologue is the 2nd of his new EPs so far this year, working along with the stalwart Wayne Proctor and is showcasing Oli in a new[ish] direction, taking Blues and adding an almost "epic" quality; bordering on the overblown.

Check these out: -
Your Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuLTwIZkVvw
Everything You Want - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7NllUqVOAQ

The Bad Day - The Bad Bay (2023)

Just when I was beginning to despair for the lack of new material from more recent bands (Morganway and The Answer) this year, along comes one i would have missed, had I not took a chance on a local gig on Friday.

This is album #2 from the band, formed in 2017, and follows their much celebrated debut Table By The Wall (which I'll be looking at soon). Now you'd expect, after a well received debut album, they'd play it safe and do more of the same, but not these guys - they've only gone and done a "concept" album; all the songs flowing into each other and tell a tragic story of freedom and love, so the release says...

Except... a while back, Curby recommended to me The Black Crowes covers EP 1972 and though The Bad Day is all band originals, it shares much of the same DNA; Wake Up Carolina nods to Rolling Stones' Sweet Virginia and Queen of The Dirty Minds has a riff reminiscent of Bowie's Glam Days. On side/track 2, Half Now Half Later has that sort of psychedelic feel to it and we come full circle at the end for a Stones' flavoured Broken Hands. And that's just what strikes on first run through, let alone the stand outs like Devil's Lullaby. This is one album you can spend twice the time picking the influences than it takes to play.

And don't expect a "bouncy" little Blues album, the gloves are off here; the drums pound, the bass pulses, some searing guitar, at times like a young Tony Iommi and the harmonica slices through like a dentists drill. It's a Blues album like being asked to look after your neighbour's cat and finding out that Tiddles is a Bengal Tiger...

It may not be perfect, but what makes it stand out is that The Bad Day have dared to try and come sooo close to having a really bloody good day!

Devil's Lullaby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nMjTwqonjc

BansheeUK wrote:

The Bad Day - The Bad Bay (2023)

Just when I was beginning to despair for the lack of new material from more recent bands (Morganway and The Answer) this year, along comes one i would have missed, had I not took a chance on a local gig on Friday.

This is album #2 from the band, formed in 2017, and follows their much celebrated debut Table By The Wall (which I'll be looking at soon). Now you'd expect, after a well received debut album, they'd play it safe and do more of the same, but not these guys - they've only gone and done a "concept" album; all the songs flowing into each other and tell a tragic story of freedom and love, so the release says...

Except... a while back, Curby recommended to me The Black Crowes covers EP 1972 and though The Bad Day is all band originals, it shares much of the same DNA; Wake Up Carolina nods to Rolling Stones' Sweet Virginia and Queen of The Dirty Minds has a riff reminiscent of Bowie's Glam Days. On side/track 2, Half Now Half Later has that sort of psychedelic feel to it and we come full circle at the end for a Stones' flavoured Broken Hands. And that's just what strikes on first run through, let alone the stand outs like Devil's Lullaby. This is one album you can spend twice the time picking the influences than it takes to play.

And don't expect a "bouncy" little Blues album, the gloves are off here; the drums pound, the bass pulses, some searing guitar, at times like a young Tony Iommi and the harmonica slices through like a dentists drill. It's a Blues album like being asked to look after your neighbour's cat and finding out that Tiddles is a Bengal Tiger...

It may not be perfect, but what makes it stand out is that The Bad Day have dared to try and come sooo close to having a really bloody good day!

Devil's Lullaby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nMjTwqonjc

Gave this band a good listen and they're pretty good.  It must have been a great show live.  It seems though they've dropped Blues Band from their name and the only songs I'm seeing are singles.  The best of the lot imho is the song "You" which has an old Journey vibe going.  Very 80's and darn good.  Their initial full album was very good, but these guys sound more interested in carving a new sound altogether.  Definitely worth checking out.
Thanks again Mike for the shout.

The Teskey Brothers - The Winding Way  (2023)

This has been out over a month, but there was a delay with the special edition CDs and the lyric booklet.

So, following these Aussies on a recommendation from Curby, these guys are the equal of any blues/soul act on either side of the Atlantic. For a start Josh Teskey has one of the best voices around – think Joe Cocker, Frankie Miller etc. The album is produced by guitarist brother Sam, keeping things "in house" together with Eric J Dubowsky (Chemical Brothers etc.).

The three opening tracks – ‘I’m Leaving’; ‘Oceans of Emotions’ and ‘Take My Heart’ give the album a simmering start; all have the laid-back feel of classic soul from Memphis or Muscle Shoals, indeed ‘Take My Heart’ with its strings brings to mind Otis Redding.

More strings on ‘London Bridge’, while ‘Carry Me Home’ is a nice heartfelt acoustic blues with slide resonator guitar and harp and ‘Blind Without You’ is a dramatic blues with Josh’s voice counterpointed by Sam’s subtle guitar runs. More drama on the mid-tempo ‘Rich Man’ and ‘Remember the Time’ ups the pace again with its riffing brass and Sam’s understated guitar - like a Stax classic - and we finish with nearly eight minutes of the soul-drenched ‘What Will Be’.

And that's the album's one fault, while the tracks are all fine and it slowly builds to a boil. there's no stand-out track that threatens to boil over: it's a smooth, though classy listen from start to finish.

Ashley Sherlock - Ashley Sherlock EP  (2019)
Ashley Sherlock - If You're Listening EP (2021)

So this Mancunian has been pinging my radar since Jack J Hutchinson dropped a hint last year. And what a fine recommendation as you hardly know whether to drop the 2nd one into the CD player or just keep hitting Replay on the first. Recorded either side of the "Youn-know-what", with a pause in touring Ashely's emergence could easily have stalled, which would have been a great shame as both these EPs have numbers soaked in big, fat guitars and pounding drums, yet have a more vulnerable sounding vocal with great range; think Paul Rodgers meets Chris Cornell in a jazz/funk bar.

You can listen to this, and while the hook is most definitely blues based, the main comparison I seem to be picking up on is more 1980s based, to be specific, The Mission (UK). I don't know why, the guitars aren't quite as "jangly", so maybe it's the hat and the round sunglasses, or the long straggly hair.... Two things I do know though, I want the full debut album Just A Name on payday and I'm keeping a hole in my schedules if he tours in my area; the sooner the better.

Another of those "middling" afternoons where you can't decide what to do...

I know, grab the spangly cape and silver lamé shirt, before the Greta Van Fleet gang raid the dressing-up box and slap on some classic Rick Wakeman [& English Rock Ensemble}, Live from The Maltings 1976, as recorded of OGWT. (BBC)

Catherine Parr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEPHP7QbO0

Ben Poole - Live In Montreux  (2023)

You know, I'd forgotten I'd pre-ordered this, so a pleasant surprise in the post the other day. Last show of Ben's that I caught was the acoustic duo tour he did with Guy Smeets, but this is Ban back with his full band; Steve Amadeo on Bass, Matthew Gest on keys and Chris Hardwick behind the drums at the 1st Montreux International Guitar Show, and roaring set on 30th April 2022.

What can I say, it was a Guitar show, so Ben is absolutely ripping it up on stage, 3 of the 10 tracks come in at over 10 minutes as Ben's guitar soars and howls over Steve's insistent driving bass and battles with Matthew's keys; so you can forgive the band for, well, what else are you going to insert in the closing number when you're playing Montreux???

seems to have been a while since Ben's dropped any new material, but this is certainly an apatite wetter...

Time Might Never Come - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO84TtDURVI

Ashley Sherlock - Just A Name (2023)

So, in what has been a slow year so far. I think I've finally discovered the year's outstanding album; Ashely Sherlock's first full and RUF debut album, Just A Name.

What makes this stand out you ask? Well, where all his peers tap into Rock or Country, Ashley is more Alt-Rock, Alt-Country. true, there are hints of Black Crowes and Tesla, there's also elements of Red Hot Chilli Peppers and a dash of Jeff Buckley; where most of the newer Blues-guys tap into the 1970s still, Ashley & band are into the 1980s and beyond.

The album was recorded with Ashely on guitars and vocals, supported by Charlie Rachael Kay on bass and Danny Rigg; danny also in the production hot-seat,  on drums and they have deliberately not over-layered the songs on this album, preferring to keep the arrangements open and spacious. The album was recorded with the whole band playing together live and you can really hear that in the tracks. Rather than trying to bolster the more fragile edge to Ashley's voice and soaring notes, the production seems to be allowing them the space they need.  It is an approach that pays dividends and works very well with the style of songs being showcased.

Not that the album doesn't growl at you through the speakers, Trouble and Realise are rockers, with a modern edge; Trouble especially with it's strident and ambitious sound  Meanwhile Empty Street and Time are more Alt-Country. Our Love takes us back to the laid-back mid-paced Alternative Rock vibes before the big guitars and Blues-Rock power-trio vibe of Goodbye To You roars out of the speakers. Dear Elizabeth is a gem of a number, a slow ballad, but so deliciously constructed. Something’s Got To Give returns us to the Alternative Rock vibe from earlier in the album but with a more infectious chorus and some of Ashley’s best vocals on the entire album. A fiery guitar solo lifts the track further, providing further evidence of a band on top of their game and then some. Last Call kicks in with a slow to mid-paced slice of Classic Rock with a quite delightful chorus before What If I Said To You and Backstage Wall close the album in fine style.

It’s impressive how Sherlock manages to pack so much variety into his songs, showcasing his versatility. And simply because I haven’t mentioned the soloing yet, lets do that now, shall we? Something’s Got To Give can be likened to the style of Dan Patlansky, delivering a bluesy and captivating performance.

One thing is for certain, I really hope that RUF send Ashley out on a solo tour rather than one of their new signing package deals, as this guy really needs to showcase a full set, just to establish what a wide ranging and relevant new artist he is. Just A Name. maybe, but one that you really must make a note of...

Dear Elizabeth = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrdvsET_XOI
Realise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-pkxSk-1A
Trouble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y59lM49Ttb8
Backstage wall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBXjRfFd3m8

again

Beth Hart - Without Words In The Way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB6ff53KwW0

Beth Hart - Woman Down  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHmZ02U4JRQ

Eric Johanson - The Deep & The Dirty  (2023)

One thing you can rely on from Eric is that he'll always deliver, and Deep & Dirty is no exception; his 4th studio album and first for the RUF label is both "deep" in it's scope and "dirty" in it's execution.

This time helmed by Jesse Drayton, who has been working with tour mate Samantha Fish, Eric has stretched from his usual swampy/delta vibe and found a heavier sound; not surprising if you go back to his covers albums from a couple of years ago and check out the range of influences outside the Blues field. Bassist Eric Vogel (Big Sam’s Funky Nation / Fred Wesley) and Grammy-winning drummer Terence Higgins (Ani DiFranco / Warren Haynes / Tab Benoit) joined him in the studio, recording 12 songs, either solo Johanson or Drayton co-writes, in two days.  There’s a snarl to his guitar — sets it apart from the average saloon bar blues band hero; Johanson, uses the blues as a springboard for a bigger, broader sound The guitar runs are fairly common but the cleanliness of Eric’s playing which meanders, here & there into Alvin Lee & vintage Ted Nugent.

Offering everything from roadhouse roots-rock to dark, bluesy Americana, it's a diverse album glued together by a musician who's never been afraid of the grey area between traditional genres. Each playthrough brings a new highlight, so it's difficult to pin down one particular song that encapsulates the album as a whole, If anything, songs like “Don’t Hold Back” encapsulate the album’s “seize-the-day” message. Anchored by fuzz guitar and a stomping groove, the song finds Johanson revelling in the present. “This moment right now; this is all we get,” he sings, his vocal delivery as compelling as his guitar work. “Just Like New” explores similar themes, with Johanson trading the overdriven crunch of his electric guitar for the Delta dirt of a metal-bodied National Resonator. Elsewhere, The Deep and the Dirty offers everything from roadhouse roots-rock (“Undertow”) to dark, bluesy Americana (“Familiar Sound”); it’s diverse sound glued together by a musician who’s never been afraid of the grey area between traditional genres.

So, moving to a label such as RUF, at least Eric has shown he's still his own man and not afraid to settle in a "box". And also, being a European based label, chances increase for some shows this side of the Atlantic: if there's any down for the UK, take my money now!!!

The Deep & The Dirty - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk_qZsMt5uo
Undertow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvL48UW73k

6,908 (edited by Curby 2023-08-15 17:43:35)

I have tried to stay on top with an artist as talented as Eric Johanson and his new RUF offering kind of fell short of my expectations.  The album felt a little over produced and exposed Eric's vocal limits.  His Covid cover album (Volume 1) on the other hand was brilliant.  On that one he reminds me more of Derek Trucks than say Alvin Lee and the songs are really interesting.  I like the Nine Inch Nails' song, "Head Like a Hole" the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtaBaSAAtE

Have to agree in a way; Deep & Dirty doesn't stack up as an album compared to his previous studio, Below Sea Level; but I have to tip my hat to Eric for being prepared to "push it" rather than sit back and think "job done". For myself, I think I need to give the Samantha Fish & Jesse Drayton album a try, to put things in a better context. Eric is currently touring with the pair in the US.

As for Eric's Covered tracks albums, they are something special, aren't they?

The other week, I had a look at my shelves and pulled off my collection of The Mission (UK) which I haven't touched for a good while. I had the idea of thinning things out a bit, but surprisingly, they still sound quite "perky". I wouldn't bother with The First Chapter as that's a loose collection of early days out takes and more for the completists, but the albums Children: Carved In Sand: God's Own Medicine really continue to stand up, though you could take a shortcut and get the compilation Sum & Substance. If any, Masques is the more challenging listen as the band seem to be more experimental in the sound. Another one to watch for is Grains of Sand which, though it's made from outtakes from the Carved In Sand album, it does stack up quite well. Neverland: Blue and Aura are the last of the studio albums I have, and while I like the former, the latter does sound a little tired, so i stopped buying there so I'm missing God is a Bullet; Another Fall From Grace and The Brightest Light. However, if you can find it, there is one other gem, Salad Daze, which is made from BBC In Concert recordings and features stripped back versions of some of the band's highlight numbers.

They were classed here as a Goth band, but they weren't the doom & gloom merchants that say, Sisters of Mercy were, even though they did originally split from them.

6,911 (edited by Curby 2023-08-21 17:44:12)

This is one of my favorite Gordon Lightfoot songs.  I love the chord progressions and the different assortment of instruments.  What I like the most though is it makes me remember my dear niece, Allison, who passed away from taking a pill laced with fentanyl.  She was an old soul when it came to music and she shared my esoteric love of old timey songs.

I deleted the RIP thread to not be remembered for it.  I'm staring down a possible heart transplant and my life needs more upbeat things.  They still exist.

https://youtu.be/RAATO_iFjXg

Curby wrote:

This is one of my favorite Gordon Lightfoot songs.  I love the chord progressions and the different assortment of instruments.  What I like the most though is it makes me remember my dear niece, Allison, who passed away from taking a pill laced with fentanyl.  She was an old soul when it came to music and she shared my esoteric love of old timey songs.

I deleted the RIP thread to not be remembered for it.  I'm staring down a possible heart transplant and my life needs more upbeat things.  They still exist.

https://youtu.be/RAATO_iFjXg

Thoughts & prayers with you...