Re: My Next Concert (s)

29th April - Si Cranstoun @ Newcastle; Cluny

Last minute booking, for me, for this great soul voice on a rare tour out of London.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

My next gigs: -

May 5th - Henrik Freischlader @ Hartlepool: S Durham Social

May 7th - Cardinal Black @ Newcastle; Anarchy Brewery Co. (Benfield Rd)

May 12th - The Teskey Brothers @ Newcastle; NX

May 16th - Dan Patlansky @ Newcastle; Cluny

Just saw Joe in Bournemouth yesterday, May 9th. Would love to get to Red Rocks if he does it again x just a dream x

I've got a week off at the end of June, so I've got a busy week lined up:
Wednesday: Stick Figure at a reggae festival
Thursday: Davey Knowles at the local blues club
Friday: Peter Frampton at Hard Rock

We have Jools Holland playing a live gig in a theatre near us in December considering going along to this now x

June 9th - The Bad Day Blues Band @ Darlington Forum

Attended two artists performances at a local Blues festival yesterday.  I have to confess I was pretty disappointed with JD Simo.  He noodled his way through various guitars that almost put me to sleep.
Thankfully, Matt Scofield was up next and he hit it out of the park.

Curby wrote:

Attended two artists performances at a local Blues festival yesterday.  I have to confess I was pretty disappointed with JD Simo.  He noodled his way through various guitars that almost put me to sleep.
Thankfully, Matt Scofield was up next and he hit it out of the park.

Been way too long since we've seen Matt in the UK; good to know he's still got that magic touch.

2,169 (edited by BarbieD 2023-07-06 13:07:56)

UPDATE: Leilani killed her set! When she came out about three of us were cheering her on but by the end of it, the crowd was all in! I look forward to seeing her again when the opportunity presents itself.

It is once again time for Summerfest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This year bestie and I will attend to check out Leilani Kilgore on June 30. I know I will dig her set and am looking forward to it. We will also check out some regional talent and classic rockers 38 Special and Night Ranger over two days. There are a few other notable acts playing this year but overall the lineup is pretty weak IMO.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

July 3rd - The Indie Collaborative Showcase (Trevor Sewell & Grant Mallory Smith) @ Newcastle; Cluny

July 7th - Siouxsie @ Mouth of The Tyne Festival: Tynemouth Priory

July 20th - Popa Chubby @ Newcastle; Cluny

July 30th - Lindisfarne @ Newcastle; Wylam Brewery

(Pending - July 14th - Brave Rival @ Darlington; Forum)

Newcastle Cluny2  3/7/23

Indie Collaborative Showcase

Another great evening just happened down at Cluny2 this evening and something of a new experience. Was it a concert or a variety show; was it a showcase, was it a workshop? I don't know, it was more like an "all-you-can-eat-buffet" of musical styles and vibes, united by great talent.

The show was hosted/curated by Eileen Bluestone Sherman and Grant Maloy-Smith and featured the North East's own Trevor Sewell, who set the ball rolling with 4 of his own numbers, including duets with Grant Maloy-Smith who aside from MC duties throughout the evening, treat us to authentic Appalachian rootsy/folk numbers; and Leti Garza who followed on stage in the first of the series of showcase numbers, with a more Latin vibe. Leti was followed by Lawrence Hancock who's style is a more Gospel / Hip-hop combination. We changed tack again with the next performer Lynn Yew Evers, a sublimely talented concert pianist. Still on the piano, there was a shift echoing the satyrical music comedy of Tom Lehrer with multi-instrumentalist Alex Otey. Alex remained on stage, to be joined by curator Eileen Bluestone Sherman for a spoken-word piece about the halcyon days of Broadway, which brough the first half to a close.

Trevor Sewell opened the 2nd part (act?) with chosen friends in the "Shrinking Violets" guise (played a bit louder than 1st time...) before handing the baton over to Judy Pancoast; known more as a writer/performer for children, her showcase was more of a torch song. Again, keeping the variety going, next up was India born guitarist Noshir Mody who combines Jazz, Classical and Progressive music, with the textures of his homeland. (Reminded me somewhat of Steve Howe - stepped out of Yes). Still instrumental, Ed Bazal took things back to the piano for an evocative piece as well as a Beatles cover. Ed stayed on the piano and was next joined by harpist Christina Tourin, again, another haunting piece. Next up, Kris "Halo" Pierce and vocalist Tijen Najarian delivered a stripped back, though still powerful version of his track Secrets. Closing this part of the show was given over to a couple of local guys; Reverend Nick & ??? was about all I heard due to audience noise.

And a show like this requires a big finish and with all this talent, a good old-fashioned jam too. It came with a rendition of what is the Collective's anthem I guess, We'll Stay Together, with Trevor Sewell, Grant Maloy-Smith & Leti Garza taking the lead, before the Shrinking Violets went off into more Bluesy territory.

Well, it was something different; not quite what I expected, but a great experience, and to have so many supremely talented performers from across the music spectrum in one place - surely it can't happen again? Well, not before December, and then it would have to be in New York (4th floor; 570 Tenth Ave  10036 to be exact).

One final note - no porpoises were harmed in this production....

Siouxsie Sioux @ Mouth of the Tyne Festival; Tynemouth Priory  7-7-23

What a terrific evening; one of those you hope is going to be good and it in turn exceeds your expectations. For the 1st time in the better part of 30 years (28 to be exact), just seen Siouxsie Sioux; albeit sans Banshees, though with a really tight backing band.  Why the big gap? Well, after I last saw S&TB they split and Siouxsie & Budgie re-activated The Creatures for a time, and announced a tour that was subsequently pulled. Other subsequent reunions and shows have never come near until now.

Getting the evening's proceedings underway were LYR;  a band comprised of author and current British poet laureate Simon Armitage, singer-songwriter Richard Walters and multi-instrumentalist & producer Patrick Pearson. Philistine that I am, poetry isn't really my thing as it happens. Yes, this did remind me in part of the Calvert or Moorcock pieces Hawkwind used to drop mid set, but then thry's explode off in search of some cosmic "lost chord". With these guys, while the music was basically sound, Gawd, he didn't half moan on a bit....

So, on to the big question of the evening; first tour in a decade, how have the years been to Siouxsie? Well, overall, very kind: looking not unlike Sandi Shaw meets Lily Munster, she still moves well across the stage and seemed in a quite playful mood judging by the way the set-list had been "tweaked" for the sunshine & seaside. There was plenty of Banshees' classics, older and newer; and the odd drop of Creatures, which ideally I'd have liked a drop more but overall, no complaints on the choice of music, though to be honest, Arabian Nights and Kiss Them For Me did seem to be less "perky" than of old. Still, there were some old gems in the set that almost got the full house pogo-ing, though it has to be said, Siouxsie still has the moves...
Set-list: -
Voices
Israel
Arabian Knights
Here Comes That Day
Dear Prudence
Kiss Them For Me
Face to Face
Land's End
Cities in Dust
But Not Them
Sin in My Heart
Christine
Happy House
Into a Swan
Encore:
Spellbound
Hong Kong garden

Lindisfarne @ Newcastle; Wylam Brewery  30 - 7- 23

Well, that was a nostalgic one one last night; the first time I've been to a Lindisfarne show in 32 years!!! I don't think i missed a Christmas one between 1980 and 1990, but then life changes, bands spilt, reform, split and reform again.... I suppose the catalyst was seeing Rod Clements & Ian Thomson in an intimate acoustic show at Sedgefield Town Hall a few years back, but the real spur was the BBC Live box-set a couple of months back; reminded me what a great live band they were.

So, seeing as they were playing what I call "the garden shed" out the back, there was no excuse not to pull the byuets (boots) on and have a looksee. Well, from the bouncing opener of Alan Hull's No Time To Lose, it was clear from the get go this was going to be a roof-raiser. Rod Clements may be the sole-standing survivor from the days I first saw the band, (Alan Hull and Si Cowie are sadly no longer with us) by some sort of alchemy, they sounded pretty damn close to the original. Not surprising I suppose as most of the current members have played within the band for the last decade or two...
Current line up : -
Rod Clements – bass guitar, violin, guitar, slide guitar, mandolin, lead and backing vocals (1968–1973, 1976, 1978–2004, 2015–present)
Ian Thomson – bass guitar, backing vocals (1990–2003, 2013–present)
Dave Hull-Denholm – guitars, keyboards, lead and backing vocals (1994–2004, 2013–present)
Steve Daggett – vocals, keyboards, acoustic guitar, harmonica (2013–present; touring member – 1986–1987)
Paul Smith – drums (2021-present)

For the uninitiated; yes, there are some out there (you know who you are...) how do you describe the music? Well, mandolins & fiddles, so could be country, could be bluegrass: then add 12 string guitars and were into folk-ish areas, but no flutes or mellotrons, so not prog. There was though, a good mix of Alan Hull's great songs as well as early contributions from the late Rab Noakes as well as the air to the enigmatic Lady Eleanor that had the capacity audience warming up their vocal chords as We Can Swing Together presaged a run through the hits Meet Me On The Corner and Run For Home as well as the tricky minor/major change in Winter Song. Nicely warmed up, there was the "unofficial" Geordie anthem Fog On The Tyne. And, as if to nail home the point, the final sprint that is Clear White Light, with it's Bo Diddly-like mid-song breakdown.

So, came out after a 90+ minute set, with the sort of elation I get from a "cut above" show, a veritable "p***-up in a brewery" and a touch of nostalgia in the eye as they don't make bands as good this very often

Side note - this is only the 2nd time I've seen Lindisfarne outside Newcastle City Hall, previously it was at St James' opening for Bob Dylan. Think though, I'm gonna give the Christmas bash a go this year.

Video from last year's gig at same venue: -
Fog On The Tyne - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhqCIhQa7vg

After a break for the summer, getting my ears back in for gigs, after last night.

So who's up next?

October 3rd - The Winery Dogs @ Newcastle; Riverside

October 4th - Jack J Hutchinson @ Newcastle; Trillians

October 6th - Bywater Call @ Newcastle; Cluny

October 9th - Dom Martin Band @ Newcastle; Cluny

October 11th - Connor Selby (solo) @ Newcastle; Bobiks

Saw Graham Nash in Glasgow 2 nights ago. A great evening of nostalgia.

16 October - Rival Sons, Glasgow
8 November - King King, Aberdeen
17 November - King King, Glenrothes
18 November - Felix Rabin, Aberdeen
20 November - Greta Van Fleet, Glasgow
23 November - Philip Sayce, Glasgow

Not been out much this year, but next Friday is Hawkwind at the Royal Albert Hall.

My better half has never seen the 'wind or been to the RAH, so two birds with one stone.

NickSlikk2112 wrote:

Not been out much this year, but next Friday is Hawkwind at the Royal Albert Hall.

My better half has never seen the 'wind or been to the RAH, so two birds with one stone.

Nice one!!!  Hope you both enjoy.

A part of Hawkwind's extended family, Hawklords are touring in October: 22nd at The Forge in London.

Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown - Thursday, October 5 at Lava Cantina in The Colony, TX. big_smile

It’s been almost a year since we’ve seen these guys and that’s way too long. Really looking forward to this show.

Had tix for the Black Crowes in Milwaukee at the end of October but it was canceled. Wasn’t sure what would happen with it since it was a side gig from the Aerosmith tour. Now I know. sad

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST