Topic: Philip Sayce

Thought I would start a new topic in advance of his long awaited new album "Fits Me Good" released this Friday. He is also playing the Baked Potato on 31 January and there is still tickets available..

To me he was the highlight of the Med Cruise in August. Let's hope he returns to the UK this year.

2 (edited by gary 2020-01-21 15:23:29)

Re: Philip Sayce

Hes a monster on the guitar. And overall great artist if you like heavy blues  rock.
Looking  forward to hearing the new album.
Forgot the release date.Thanks for posting Kenny.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Kenny wrote:

Thought I would start a new topic in advance of his long awaited new album "Fits Me Good" released this Friday. He is also playing the Baked Potato on 31 January and there is still tickets available..

To me he was the highlight of the Med Cruise in August. Let's hope he returns to the UK this year.

Thanks for the heads-up on the new album and Amen to hopefully a UK return; been way too long....

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Thanks for the post Kenny. I’ve seen him several times lately and always have him on the front burner.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

OK the album is not out until April... but I will definitely give the 2x new songs a listen.
I love the "Peace Machine" and "Steamroller" albums. big_smile

lukemegg wrote:

OK the album is not out until April... but I will definitely give the 2x new songs a listen.

Thanks - didn't think it was just a song that was out today but anything new is welcome. He has another album recorded in addition to this one !!

lukemegg wrote:

Peace Machine is my fav
  But really like all his albums. Ruby Electric too. Even his first album is real good.

Your rock candy baby

It's between Peace Machine and Innerevolution for me. I don't think he has a "bad" album out there but strangely I find Steamroller the hardest listen.

Should also say, he also does a great performance as part of Melissa Ethridge's band on the Lucky Tour DVD, especially when his guitar strap snaps while he's powering down a riff...

My very first download with Apple was Peace Machine.  I was a big fan back then.  I keep hoping he can duplicate the magic of that great album.

After a long, long break, Philip Sayce is heading back to the UK with a handful of shows, supported by slide-wiz Troy Redfern.

November 19th - Bristol Fleece
                20th - Manchester BOTW
                21st - Newcastle; Cluny
                23rd - Glasgow; Oran Mor
                24th - Leeds Brudenell
                25th - London; The Garage

I think he may be having a new album out this year too?

Your rock candy baby

gary wrote:

I think he may be having a new album out this year too?

Hope so; and that it, and maybe the last couple are in CD format (vinyl at a push). Either way, looking forward to an overdue great night.

Statement from Philip on social media; US east Coast gigs affected: -

After a consultation yesterday, I was informed that I am requiring surgery which is scheduled for next week in Los Angeles. With this in mind, I am very disappointed to share that we will need to reschedule our upcoming live dates on the U.S. East Coast over the next two weeks:
August 20 (Rockwood Music Hall, Boston, MA)
August 23 (Chan's, Woonsocket, RI)
August 24 (The Music Room, Yarmouth, MA)
August 26 (Rockwood Music Hall, New York City, NY)
August 27 (The Stanhope House, Stanhope, NJ)
August 31 (Rams Head on Stage, Annapolis, MD)
August 31 (118 North, Wayne, PA)
I want to extend my deepest and most sincere gratitude to everyone who has bought a ticket and made travel plans to attend our upcoming shows over the next two weeks. I look forward to trying to reschedule these dates as soon as possible and apologize for this unexpected inconvenience.
I am grateful for your continued support, you mean the world to me, and we will do this again soon!
Thank you for your understanding,
Philip

Newcastle - Cluny  21-11-23

Hotly anticipated gig last night, over at the Cluny; first time in almost a decade for me catching Philip Sayce with, cherry-on-the-cake, Troy Redfern supporting. Two very different guitar-beasts, though equally intense in their delivery. And talk about a "packed house".... It may not have been quite sold out when they opened the doors, but if anymore came through while Mr Sayce was on stage, they'd have had to relocate to a bigger venue. AND that was a TUESDAY night!!!!

Getting the ball rolling was a solo Troy Redfern; not my first time catching Troy in this format, it's always a treat. He came on and really wrested the first 2 songs out the Resonator (Waiting For Your Love: Get Away) before switching to his 1932 Dobro, for Dark Religion, and don't think it's age saved it from similar treatment, he really made it bark and howl. Quick change again, this time the Silvertone for  NATIVE, before finishing the string-punishing set, back on the Resonator:  Where The Sun Don't Shine; Sweet Carolina; Sanctify. That gave us a well selected run through most of Troy's back-catalogue, to whet the appetites of those who hadn't seen him before.

And then the reason we were all there, the welcome and long-overdue return of Philip Sayce to these shores (and not just the "Geordie" one..). Last time I saw him was at Holmfirth, in a double header with Joanne Shaw Taylor; Joanne and Virgil MacMahon were sat in the balcony with jawbones hanging over the edge. Such was the prowess of Mr Sayce back then, and happy to report this evening, the years haven't diminished them. Nor, has it diminished the volume he plays at, though astutely, he 's brought along his own sound engineer, so while my hearing aids may have overheated (twice!), the sound was crystal clear, even at the section where the guitar volume was dropped - every strike was heard.

So, when you haven't visited for a while, dropped a new album mid-pandemic and have a new one in the wings, what do you play? Well, again, a career spanning set and rounding off with a tribute to the man, the legend that got it all rolling, Jeff Healey.
Set list: - Out of My Mind: Powerful Thing: Bitter Monday: Once: Blues Ain't Nothin' but a Good Woman on Your Mind (Don Covay cover): Standin' Round Crying (Muddy Waters cover) segue into; Aberystwyth: Beautiful: 5:55: Alchemy: Morning Star: Spanish Castle Magic (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
Encore:
As the Years Go Passing By: I'm Going Home.

Outstanding "come-back" show, and aside from the new album (The Wolves Are Calling) due in February, word is there's a lot more to follow in 2024... I know I'm "stoked"...

Philip Sayce & Troy Redfern are doin' it again this November in the UK...

NOV 21 THU   Leeds, Brudenell Social Club

NOV 22 FRI   Gateshead, The Glasshouse International Centre for Music

NOV 23 SAT   Glasgow, Òran Mór

NOV 25 MON Manchester, Band On The Wall

NOV 26 TUE Nottingham, Metronome

NOV 28 THU   Bristol, The Fleece

NOV 30 SAT   Southampton, The 1865

DEC 03 TUE   Colchester Arts Centre

DEC 04 WED   London, Islington Assembly Hall

On sale Wed 28th Feb 10AM

His new album dropped today in the states. The wolves are coming .
Haven't listened to it  yet  ut will soon!

Your rock candy baby

gary wrote:

I'm expecting my pre-order anytime soon, post willing....

BansheeUK wrote:
gary wrote:

I'm expecting my pre-order anytime soon, post willing....

Arrived about 1hr ago.....  WooHoo....