Topic: Bourbon & Beyond

After two years of this festival not happening, Bourbon & Beyond is returning to Louisville, KY in 2022! Fest has been expanded to four days (Sept. 15-19, 2022). Lineups in past years have been awesome so I'm anxious to see what this year has in store. Nothing released yet but we bought tix anyway cuz it's always a fun time.

Joe performed at this festival's inaugural weekend in 2017 and it was great to see him in an outdoor setting. It was on my bucket list! Been to all the B&Bs that have taken place and have seen so many great acts. Glad to have something to look forward to.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Re: Bourbon & Beyond

Lineup reveal coming on April 5 at 11 a.m. EDT! smile

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Out of curiosity I went looking for it just now and it is still not shown. It still says "Lineup coming soon". There is no way I could go, legs and feet would never tolerate that much walking but I still want to see who all will be there

BarbieD wrote:

Lineup reveal coming on April 5 at 11 a.m. EDT! smile

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

that is a great looking lineup. The don't misses for me would be Eric Gales (of course), Mike Campbell, Marcus King, and whatever you do don't miss St Paul and the Broken Bones. They are from right here in Birmingham AL, and they put on a tremendous show

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Wow, this looks like a really cool line-up and what a final day on Sunday.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

ahsmith33 wrote:

that is a great looking lineup. The don't misses for me would be Eric Gales (of course), Mike Campbell, Marcus King, and whatever you do don't miss St Paul and the Broken Bones. They are from right here in Birmingham AL, and they put on a tremendous show

I guess better late than never, but I checked out Tres' mention of St. Paul and the Broken Bones.
Picked up their first album, Half the City, and like it a lot.  They remind  me of those blues/soul bands I used to see on Beale Street.  I highly suggest checking them out and thanks again Tres for the shout.

ahsmith33 wrote:

and whatever you do don't miss St Paul and the Broken Bones. They are from right here in Birmingham AL, and they put on a tremendous show

Thanks for the tip on St. Paul and the Broken Bones! I will look forward to seeing them!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

This year's Bourbon & Beyond lineup was revealed last week. For me, it's almost a total bust. I've been waiting for The Black Keys and The Black Crowes to play this festival so Saturday is a win, and because we'll be there, we decided to attend Sunday as well.

This festival has moved away from what it started as in 2017. Really disappointed with what it has morphed into. I suspect next year we won't be attending at all. sad

https://bourbonandbeyond.com/

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

BarbieD wrote:

This year's Bourbon & Beyond lineup was revealed last week. For me, it's almost a total bust. I've been waiting for The Black Keys and The Black Crowes to play this festival so Saturday is a win, and because we'll be there, we decided to attend Sunday as well.

This festival has moved away from what it started as in 2017. Really disappointed with what it has morphed into. I suspect next year we won't be attending at all. sad

https://bourbonandbeyond.com/

You're right, that's more of a Pop festival targeting a younger crowd.  I too would love to see the Black Crowes and definitely Billy Strings.  Buddy Guy is the only true blues guy I saw on your list.

Wow, that's certainly a mixed bill of music on offer.

I always find with festivals, the best ones, regardless of genre, should be an even mix of: -
a) love this band
b) been wanting to catch these for ages
c) didn't know they were still going....
d) never heard of, but I'll give a chance
e) time to hit the bathroom / concessions...

That said, looking at that lot, I'd be pushed to make one full day that would hold me but noticed a few "nuggets", Gaslight Anthem, Paolo Nutini, Fantastic Negrito....

Still, if you're heading along 9however many days), enjoy the vibes...

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Bourbon & Beyond 2023 was a couple of weeks ago in Louisville, KY. We attended two of the four days. I'll comment on highlights but will reserve comment on those who were not enjoyable. I'm trying to be more respectful of genres of music that I don't understand or enjoy. lol

Saturday's surprise "like" was City & Color out of Canada. His music had a chill vibe which I usually don't go for but at the same time it had a nice groove and was very soulful. Dallas Green's vocals were excellent. Old Crow Medicine Show was outstanding playing high-spirited bluegrass. The Black Crowes also played an excellent set which had me up and dancing most of the time. They kept the radio drivel down to less than half the set which was good for me since I don't care to hear those songs anyway. The Black Keys were also sounding good but we didn't stay for the whole set. It had rained, we were chilly and it had been a long day. We were literally falling asleep in our chairs. Plus, overall the sound on Saturday was a big miss.

Sunday was a much better day music wise and I have to say there was only performer I did not enjoy. She was doing her country thing and, frankly, I couldn't wait for her set to end. Lucky for me she only played for 30 minutes. We started the day with As You Were which is a group of active-duty guys from the U.S. Army. They totally rocked their set and it was a great way to start the day. Also on Sunday was Dumpstaphunk, Maggie Rose, Fantastic Negrito, ZZ Ward, Baby Face, Ryan Bingham, John Batiste, Blondie and Bruno Mars to close out the festival. All the performances were fantastic, Bruno Mars being my least favorite. I don't listen to pop music and am not really interested in the big, over-rehearsed kind of performances. Debbie Harry did a good job for a 78-year old but her voice was lacking the edge needed to pull off those songs. Her band was top notch!

There is so much about this festival that I've grown to dislike I can't see attending it again. Breaks my heart because I loved it so much in the beginning and now it has morphed into nothing but a clusterf*ck. 2024 lineup will be revealed in the Spring. We shall decide at that time if it's worth attending.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

BarbieD wrote:

Bourbon & Beyond 2023 was a couple of weeks ago in Louisville, KY. We attended two of the four days. I'll comment on highlights but will reserve comment on those who were not enjoyable. I'm trying to be more respectful of genres of music that I don't understand or enjoy. lol

Saturday's surprise "like" was City & Color out of Canada. His music had a chill vibe which I usually don't go for but at the same time it had a nice groove and was very soulful. Dallas Green's vocals were excellent. Old Crow Medicine Show was outstanding playing high-spirited bluegrass. The Black Crowes also played an excellent set which had me up and dancing most of the time. They kept the radio drivel down to less than half the set which was good for me since I don't care to hear those songs anyway. The Black Keys were also sounding good but we didn't stay for the whole set. It had rained, we were chilly and it had been a long day. We were literally falling asleep in our chairs. Plus, overall the sound on Saturday was a big miss.

Sunday was a much better day music wise and I have to say there was only performer I did not enjoy. She was doing her country thing and, frankly, I couldn't wait for her set to end. Lucky for me she only played for 30 minutes. We started the day with As You Were which is a group of active-duty guys from the U.S. Army. They totally rocked their set and it was a great way to start the day. Also on Sunday was Dumpstaphunk, Maggie Rose, Fantastic Negrito, ZZ Ward, Baby Face, Ryan Bingham, John Batiste, Blondie and Bruno Mars to close out the festival. All the performances were fantastic, Bruno Mars being my least favorite. I don't listen to pop music and am not really interested in the big, over-rehearsed kind of performances. Debbie Harry did a good job for a 78-year old but her voice was lacking the edge needed to pull off those songs. Her band was top notch!

There is so much about this festival that I've grown to dislike I can't see attending it again. Breaks my heart because I loved it so much in the beginning and now it has morphed into nothing but a clusterf*ck. 2024 lineup will be revealed in the Spring. We shall decide at that time if it's worth attending.

You said you weren't going to get into negatives, yet you did single out some atists/bands that fell short of your expectations.

Sadly our great artists are getting on in years and genres like the blues are not the same as 25 years ago.  I also feel the city of Louisville just isn't the great place it used to be.  I like a number of the bands you mentioned but large crowds aren't my thing anymore.