Topic: Jack J Hutchinson

So team Sedgefield served up a further treat on Friday night by luring Jack J Hutchinson up beyond Derbyshire with the promise of M&S quality beer at Lidl prices. (At £2 per pint, your London based artist can get well mortal and wake up next morning still in pocket from the gig.) And have to say, Jack did a solo acoustic set that showed why he’s been gaining favourable nods in the Blues polls in recent years and why the attention is well deserved

Even though this was a gig without the Boom Boom Brotherhood, a good part of the set came from Set Your Heart For The Sun (How did I miss this release back in March?) with it’s mix of British Zeppelin and US Black Crowes flavours. (A couple of ‘Crowes covers made the playlist.) where as there were generous helpings of Jack’s upcoming new solo album Paint No Fiction and songs for older & rarer EPs and some Magic Sam for good luck.

What can you say, the guitar work was fluid, for a first time with Sedgefield audience his rapport was quickly established with an easy, deprecating wit but his singing voice was a pleasant surprise; not a gruff growling rock voice but something lighter with a more pastoral air, edged with life-experience and a soulful aftertaste; think Led Zepp’s That’s The Way and you won’t be a country-mile away.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

2 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-11-07 03:55:47)

Re: Jack J Hutchinson

Caught me a little on the hop this one, didn’t expect the new Paint No Fiction album through the door quite this early before it’s Dec 1st release - still, the joys of Pledge Music.

Most obvious thing from the artwork at least, this is very much rooted say around 1972, the Art Nouveau font and psyched-out William Morris design. Then the opener, Deal With The Devil hits you straight between the ears in a no-holds barred Black Crowes manner, driving guitar, swirling Hammond, joyous stuff. Pulling it back a little, Written In Stone I’d say owes a bit to the likes of Bad Company; so great outro guitar from Jack. Hip Slickin’ has a great, dirty riff running through it before it ebbs to alow the vocals before firing back in; a tight, punchy number. The acoustic number, Hold Me Close, again puts me in mind when Rodgers & Co oscillated between Free & Bad Company with maybe a touch of The Faces in the backing, especially Alberto Manuzzi’s Organ break (2:20 mins in), Staying acoustic and getting really rootsy blues comes Cut The Noose;; chugging acoustic riff until 3:10 in when again, Jack fires off a searing electric solo.
Slight change of gears comes the piano driven Set Your Heart For The Sun; somehow, NOT the title track from jack’s previous release, but still a steady, infectious, little rockin’ number. This leads us nicely into a fiery rocker, Rattlesnake Woman, rockin’ like it’s 1972 with flashes of led Zeppelin happening. Skin & Bones, another acoustic number Jack duelling with Tom Brundridge’s honking harmonica skips along; in the same vein, I Got Your Number pushes up the tempo as jack stretches out on slide resonator. Slowing for a very good ballad, Send Me A Signal, we stay acoustic but with violin backing for a near Celtic or Bluegrass feel. Finishing the album on another ballad, this time the powerful Hard Right In My Dreams; bit of a strange one as has a [very] early E.L.O kind of sound to it, but excellent soundscape to the ears.
Not the longest of albums, but I’m not going to have my customary whinge about that as this is very much of a early 1970’s vibe of album, and back then if you got anything much over 40 minutes, then it had better have been in a gatefold sleeve… No, this is a cleverly contrived “period piece” and any longer and it wouldn’t have worked as well - one of the better releases of late 2017.

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-05-21 02:56:08)

Round September/October, Jack will be touring with Troy Redfern & Mike Ross as an outfit calling themselves Space Blues Extravaganza, as well as a few dates just with Mike Ross under the banner Hutchinson/Ross Theory

13 October – Underground Theatre, Eastbourne ***
19 October – Muddy’s Live Music Bar, Weston Super-Mare **
20 October – Mid Wales Blues Club, Brecon ***
21 October – Eldon House, Bristol **
23 October – Tuesday Night Music Club, Coulsdon ***
25 October- Oxford Haven Club ***
26 October – Honey Bee Club, Sheffield **
27 October – Elland Rooms, Halifax ***
28 October – Big House Blues Bar, Darwen **

** - Hutchinson/Ross Theory
*** - Space Blues Extravaganza

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-06-17 09:47:11)

If Pledge Music's demise hasn't put you off crowdfunding new releases, get yourselves along to Kickstarter where Jack has recently started funding for his next release Who Feeds The Wolf. Only been up a couple of days but already beyond the 50% mark.

lead-off single - Justified: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDIbtXr3TTw

Taking the Wolf for walkies….

1 February - Echo Hotel Music Club, Hook
20 February - The Bullingdon, Oxford
6 March - Leo’s Red Lion, Gravesend
7 March - Esquires, Bedford
10 March - Tuesday Night Music Club, Coulsdon
13 March - The Patriot, Crumlin
14 March - The Iron Road, Pershore
15 March - Big House Blues Bar, Darwen
18 March - Bannermans Bar, Edinburgh
19 March - Trillians, Newcastle
21 March - The Meeting Room, Elland
27/28 March - Planet Rock Cruise
4 April - Barry’s Blues Barn, Witham
17 April - The Penny Theatre, Canterbury

6 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-08-27 13:14:56)

'Bout time this thread was re-visited.....

Just delivered today, an advance copy of jack's new EP, What Doesn't Kill You (out sept 2nd) where the title track, lifted from jack's most recent album The Hammer Falls, has been re-recorded, re-mixed and generally breathed on by Kevin Shirley, generally knocking a few rough edges off. Similar treatment is given to Down By The River and The Hammer Falls, while Days of Thunder is a new track, specially written for the event.

But it doesn't stop there; there's a 2nd disc, jack's first ever DVD, made of promo videos for 5 tracks from The Hammer Falls album, plus the earlier release World On Fire and a "behind the scenes" montage. Interestingly, the video for Halo was produced by Jack's contemporary & mate, Kris Barras (another name we should shout more on here).

In all, without directly copying any band from the era, Jack reminds me of what I used to really like about 1980s Hard Rock. Roll on October when he's touring the UK again...

7 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-10-22 03:21:25)

Newcastle: Trillians - 21-10-2022

Well, another crackin' Friday night of music, and another belter of a show at what could become another regular haunt for me in Newcastle. This time it was a long overdue catching up with the Jack J Hutchinson Trio, 2022 model with Phil Wilson pummelling the drums and Charley Rachel Kay laying killer bass fills behind Jack and his mighty Les Paul, together laying down some old school power-rock.

Like Jack's albums, the set was "all killer and no filler" with a double salvo of The Hammer Falls & Call of the Wild to introduce the latest album, followed by a couple of steps back to Paint No Fiction's Deal With The Devil and Written In Stone then back to Hammer Falls for Down By The River before a good plundering of Who Feeds The Wolf with, the mighty Justified and Hollow Bones then we were back up-to-date with Gunslinger and the only ballad of the evening, I Will Follow You from "Wolf".

This was one of those gigs that easily passes the "watch test", you don't realise the time passing (beacuse you don't check your watch until the house lights come back up) so it seemed all too soon that we were on the last leg of the show which featured cuts from the Kevin Shirley produced What Doesn't Kill You EP, with the title track, then a step back in time to Sleep, Awake Obey! before the closing double whammy of Halo and latest single Days of Thunder as "encore".

Throughout the evening, which was the last show of this current leg of the tour, Jack was totally at ease with his Geordie fans, especially with tales of the previous visit at "Fred Flintstone" - don't ask, it's probably one for the memoirs. Phil and Charley were a superb combination as backline - I've seen Phil a few times with various bands but didn't know until this evening he could hit so hard. Also have to give a big nod to Jack's sound guy, Rowan; superb job in keeping it loud but clear, in what's not an easy room.

I've said it before about jack and his music, he reminds me what I used to like in heavy rock but keeps it fresh. Respect!

Jack's on the crowdfunding trail again, for a new solo album:

For the last 6 months I’ve been working on a new collection of songs with my producer Josiah J Manning. We’ve written some of the bluesiest, hard hitting rock this side of the Atlantic, plus a selection of heartfelt Americana that will tug at your heartstrings.

Imagine the Black Crowes and Blackberry Smoke having a drink with the Winery Dogs and you'll get the idea!

So this is where I need your help. I’m asking for help to fund the final stages of the recording process. This includes: 9 days recording at Momentum Studios, plus the mixing and mastering of the record, artwork, CD manufacture, and coloured vinyl manufacturing! Christiane Gilbrook is working on an incredible artwork for the album and it deserves to be seen and heard on vinyl.

I believe in the power of music to make a difference to our lives - the last few years have undoubtedly proven this. I believe these new songs are some of the best material I’ve ever written and with your help I hope to make it reach as many people as possible.

Risks and challenges
We are hoping to complete the recording and mixing by the end of April 2023 in order for the masters to be sent for vinyl manufacturing. If everything goes to plan, and the vinyl test pressings are all ok, you will have copies in advance of the worldwide release in October 2023.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ja … uve_backed

Edit: - as of 30 minutes ago, the original funding target was reached.

One of "ours" heading out over there....

As you can see, I've banged on about Jack J Hutchinson on here for a while, and I know some of you have picked up on him.  Well, here's a chance for some of you, especially on the West Coast, to see for yourselves...

* * * LOS ANGELES SHOW * * *
Pleased to announce I will be heading back to California next month to perform at The Mint LA on 13 April.
Tickets on sale now: https://wl.seetickets.us/.../Jack.../537045...

Jack is also currently working on a new album for release later this year, so ask nicely and you may get a sneaky-peek...

UK Autumn Headline Tour dates for Jack have been announced: -

16 Sept - South West Rally: St Austell
26 sept - TMNC; Coulsdon
27 Sept - Half Moon; Putney
28 Sept - Flying Circus; Newark
29 Sept - The Bullingdon; Oxford
30 Sept - Echo Hotel Music Club

1 Oct - The Partiot; Crumlin
4 Oct - Trillians; Newcastle
5 Oct - Bannermans; Edinburgh
6 Oct - Nightrain; Bradford
7 Oct - Louisiana; Bristol
8 Oct - Cornwall Rocks
27 Oct - Hallelujah Festival; Hartlepool

3 Dec - Planet Rockstock

First taster of Jack's upcoming album - lead off single Constellations, co-written with Josiah Manning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzlrRjWdcC0

Newcastle: Trillians - 4th Oct 2023

Another top night's entertainment in 'Toon last night. No, not at the Football rink, though my mate Andy says that could be heard half-way across the city centre. This event took place down in Trillians, and while the crowd was a little smaller, there was just as much excitement, while Jack, Charlie & Phil, along with local-ish support Scott Michael Cavagan & band did their upmost to crank out the decibels.

So, on to Scott Michael Cavagan: my mate has been on for a while that I should catch these guys, but don't you know it, the closer they are, the harder they are to catch. And that's a shame, because these guys are really damn good; polished and crunchy; like being run down by a brand new JCB. I'll grant you, a bit "heavier" than my usual tastes these days, but a band I want to see again.

Speaking of bands that I'd see again, and again, and ag... you get the picture; Jack & the band are always a treat. Again, on the heavier side of the spectrum, but the craftsmanship doesn't get hidden, and there's always a bit variety throughout the set. This time around, Jack is airing new songs from the new album that's in the pipeline, letting the rub shoulders with slightly older material, even from the RHR project and a Fleetwood Mac cover. So far as the new material goes, it's already my "album of the year" and it's not out yet.

Simply put, cracking good support band and Jack on top form. Enjoying the night so much, especially after the previous night's shenanigans with Winery Dogs might have been a big ask, but jack has one other card up his sleeve; while the Americans have the kudos, Jack has charisma in buckets - some great craic on stage through the set, as well as football commentary.  What more do you need.

Have a blast at Hartlepool....

Jack has announced an early 2024 UK tour to coincide with the release of his Battles album: -

8th Feb - O2 Academy 2; London - Album launch Show
9th Feb - Love Live festival; Blackpool
10th Feb - Esquires; Bedford
11th Feb - The Musician; Leicester
14th Feb - The Railway; Winchester
22nd Feb - Flying Circus; Newark

23rd March - Rockin' The Blues; Sittingbourne

27th April - St Austell Band Club
28th April - Bosworth Blues Festival

1st May - Bannerman's; Edinburgh
2nd May - Yardbirds; Grimsby