1 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-12-30 03:57:07)

Topic: Who did you see this year? (2022)

There is probably a similar thread lurking in the dusty archives of the Forum, so apologies for any repetition, but now that Live shows are back, approaching normal, I was wondering which bands or acts have lured other forumees out of hibernation. It's seems odd but but other than shows by our host, live shows don't seem to have been mentioned much (except BarnieD who is one gig off "stalking" Tyler Bryant - and why not?).

So, getting things rolling:-

February - Ben Poole & Guy Smeets (Newcastle)
                Connor Selby (Darlington)
                Left-Lane Cruiser (Newcastle)

March - Kiki Dee (Reeth)
            The Coral (Newcastle)

April - Morganway (Newcastle)
          Dan Patlansky (Newcastle)
          Sari Schorr (Darlington)
          Chantel McGregor (Darlington)

May - Robert Jon & The Wreck + Laura Evans (Newcastle)
         Curse of Lono (Newcastle)

June - Jeff Beck (Gateshead)

July - Firekind + Loz Campbell (Newcastle)
         Sophie Ellis Bextor + Newton Faulkner (Tynemouth)
         His Lordship (Newcastle)
         Laurence Jones (Darlington)

September
          Kim Wilde + China Crisis (Gateshead)
          Ariel Posen + Cathal Murphy (Ashington)
          Bonham /Bullick (Newcastle)

October
          Xander & The Peace Pirates (Darlington)
          Jack J Hutchinson (Newcastle)
          Samantha Fish + Wille & The bandits (Newcastle)

November
          Shawn James (Gateshead)
          The Cinelli Brothers (Darlington)

December
           Franck Carducci & The Fantastic Squad + Russ Tippins' Electric Band (Newcastle)
           Aynsley Lister (Newcastle)
           Benjamin Amos (Newcastle)

So many good ones, if asked for best, I would have liked to have said Jeff Beck but there was too much Johnny Depp (and no Sam Fender). Of the "new-to-me" bands, ie one's I would see again in a heartbeat - His Lordship and Firekind.

It's been great to get out there and catch up with old friends and make new ones, and here's hoping for more of the same in 2023 (my diary is getting packed up to May already!).

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

2 (edited by Brack 2022-12-28 09:44:00)

Re: Who did you see this year? (2022)

I’m a massive Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson fan

The welcome return after 12 years….
PORCUPINE TREE
NOVEMBER
WEMBLEY ARENA
NW LONDON

They are doing a couple of gigs in 2023…after that , who knows!
Steven Wilson has a new Solo project out in 2023 , no gigs announced as yet.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot,  David Grey @ the O2 as well.

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Back in April:

Von Hertzen Brothers
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets

In September - Steve Hackett

In November - Opeth

Think I'm a bit proggy with a Death Metal side order thrown in these days...

March - Greenville, SC - Joe B.

July - Summerfest in Milwaukee, WI to see The Black Crowes. Also saw Greg Koch that day. The following weekend went back to Summerfest for, yes, Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown ("TBSD"). big_smile Watched Stone Temple Pilots for a bit before calling it a night.

August - Road trip weekend to Springfield, IL and Indianapolis, IN for TBSD again. This time GA20 opening for them.

September - Louisville, KY for Bourbon & Beyond Festival. It was 4 days of music - much of which was not my thing. But highlights included: Hogslop String Band, Jimmie Vaughan, Jack White, Eric Gales, Christone "Kingfish" Ingram, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, Jason Isbell, Brandi Carlisle, Robert Randolph Band, Drive-By Truckers, Pearl Jam, Mike Campbell & The Dirty Knobs, Marcus King, The Doobie Brothers. (Honorable mention goes to a detour made to the Cincinnati Zoo to see internet sensation hippos Bibi, Fiona, and baby Fritz!)

October - Carbondale, IL - TBSD

November - Chicago, IL - TBSD

Now I go into winter hibernation but will emerge in February for Mammoth WVH and Alter Bridge. Not sure what 2023 will bring as far as festivals. But hopefully lots of TBSD shows in my area that I can get to.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

BansheeUK,

I love this thread, because it shows the diversity of Joe's fan base! 

January - Philadanco.

March - John Oates and Guthrie Trapp.  Ironically, I didn't know Joe was playing in DC until I was talking to some people at this concert and they either had just seen him or were about to go see him. 

August - Wyatt Michael and the Chris Whiteman Quartet

December - Was supposed to see Wyatt Michael and the Chris Whiteman Quartet again, but the show was canceled/rescheduled.

I don't get to as many live shows as I used to, because my youngest son is a conservatory dancer, and we are busy year round with his performances, clinics, and competitions.  I'm hoping to see Joe one of these days!

Chuck

Chuck B wrote:

BansheeUK,

January - Philadanco.

March - John Oates and Guthrie Trapp.  Ironically, I didn't know Joe was playing in DC until I was talking to some people at this concert and they either had just seen him or were about to go see him. 

December - Was supposed to see Wyatt Michael and the Chris Whiteman Quartet again, but the show was canceled/rescheduled.

I don't get to as many live shows as I used to, because my youngest son is a conservatory dancer, and we are busy year round with his performances, clinics, and competitions.  I'm hoping to see Joe one of these days!

Chuck

Hey Chuck; glad you like the thread. Joe has kicked open the door to folks, certainly in regards to Blues, but I learned a while ago not to get stuck down one particular genre as well as taking in some of my partner's tastes, to spice things up a bit. And this was just an idea to see what everyone else is up to.

Joe is a constant tourer, so someday you'll get your chance for a show, and you won't forget/regret it.

And good luck to to your son, hope his dancing is going well; it sounds like you're giving loads of support.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:
Chuck B wrote:

BansheeUK,

January - Philadanco.

Chuck

Hey Chuck; glad you like the thread. Joe has kicked open the door to folks, certainly in regards to Blues, but I learned a while ago not to get stuck down one particular genre as well as taking in some of my partner's tastes, to spice things up a bit. And this was just an idea to see what everyone else is up to.

Joe is a constant tourer, so someday you'll get your chance for a show, and you won't forget/regret it.

And good luck to to your son, hope his dancing is going well; it sounds like you're giving loads of support.

BansheeUK,

Thanks for the feedback and the support for my son!  His dancing is going very well.  He placed top-10 in the nation as a 10-year old last summer, and is competing a few times over the next couple of months.  To say I'm a proud dad is an understatement!

I'm (re)discovering some great musicians I listened to through my parents as I get older and am glad I didn't get too bogged down in any one genre.  I have been fortunate enough to see a wide variety in concert (and met a few too!), and I learn something from each artist.  I love the supportive community that this forum provides for musicians of all levels and those who are fans of music!

Chuck