Topic: Sari Schorr & the Engine Room

Could she be the next Beth Hart? Her first album is released tomorrow and here is a typical review.

http://www.maximumvolumemusic.com/revie … ture-2016/

I will see her next week to find out for myself.

2 (edited by ahsmith33 2016-09-01 12:43:28)

Re: Sari Schorr & the Engine Room

could be, very impressed with Demolition Man, will be looking to buy Force of Nature...... I like his Firebird too

coulda done this on the front end, hit the "show more" button and you will be........shown more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Fd_P53FZQ

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

3 (edited by Curby 2016-09-05 09:49:02)

Kenny - Good heads up.  I like her better than Beth.  Better singer.  I got the album and will review later.

4 (edited by Curby 2016-09-06 10:12:48)

After a few listens I've come to the conclusion that this may be the best album I'll hear this year.  From the first to the last note it's all good.  My favorite changes from song to song but the standout at the moment is "Oklahoma".  The guitar and keyboard playing sounds like they slipped out of a vintage Doors jam.

Great stuff. Seeing her in concert this Friday and will report back.

6 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-09-12 09:32:41)

Sept 9th - Darlington Forum

Talk about blowing your socks off; Sari’s gig at Darlington Forum blew the top of my head off too. This was one amazing gig from start to finish; almost impossible to identify any one stand out moment as Sari kept them coming think and fast, and varied, showing her awesome range; from the howling darkness of her re-working Leadbelly’s Where Did You Sleep Last Night, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOQcw5CWgPU ) to the exuberant dynamics of Led Zepp’s Rock & Roll. and then doors-like work out on her own Oklahoma between Innes Siburn on guitar and Anders Olinder on keys.

And for the 2nd half of the show, there was no let-up, from the bands’ instrumental Freddie King workout, to Sari putting heart, soul, lungs, liver and spleen into an almighty Stormy Monday as well as that incredible Black Betty work-out and showcasing every number from her stunning album with Innes Siburn working into an sweat with the rest of the “powerhouse” Engine Room, Kevin Jeffries (bass), Kevin O’Rourke (drums) & Anders Olinder (keys) not that far behind.

This was like being on the business end of a Typhoon; a real “force of nature”.

Kenny, good to finally meet you, hope the gig was worth the trek down. One day I'll have to reciprocate and have a look up your manor.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Well worth the trip down Mike - Sari and her band are going places, that's for sure. We spent time talking to her and Innes after the show and they are looking forward to playing Scotland next year.

Highlights for me were "In the Pines" & "Oklahoma" but all the performance was top drawer.

Innes Sibun has left the band - never saw that coming.

Kenny wrote:

Innes Sibun has left the band - never saw that coming.

Sources tell me that Ash Wilson has stepped up/in

The CD will one of my top 10 in 2017

Dianna Ross classic how I have never heard it before

Mickleton - Live; Sept 15th

Almost 2 years on, to the day, and Storm Sari is once again blowing Durham away; this time, the eye of the storm is the little upper Teessdale village of Mickleton; fortunately the hall is of sturdy, stone built construction, as rugged and permanent as the hills in which is nestles.

In those two years since her last visit, there has been considerable change in “The Engine Room”; the power is certainly still there but it’s almost as if they’ve gone from diesel/electric to gas turbine, such is the crisp guitar sound, now via Ash Wilson and the everyband keyboards Bob Fridzema at the opposite side of the stage. Another new face in the backline, but one familiar to most is Matt Beable on bass and top session drummer Ray Martin completes the new line-up.

And what has brought Sari to this rustic setting? The first leg of the tour behind her latest album, Never Say Never; the title track being a very tender love song penned by Ian McLagan and which was a sublime moment in a powerhouse 100 minute set. As you’d expect, the set was taken from the two releases, split a good 50/50 with a funky take on Etta James’ I Just Want To Make Love To You thrown in. And to prove she has a “big” voice, from the new album, Sari is covering Bad Company’s Ready For Love.  From Force of Nature, we got standouts of Ain’t Got No Money, Kiss Me, Demolition Man and from the new, Valentina; King of Rock & Roll & New Revolution  rattled the rafters. Because the never Say Never album was recorded “live” in studio, the band were more settled in playing these this early in the tour, there being some great back-and-forth between Ash & Bob throughout. As for Sari’s awesome voice, the acoustics of this barn like hall were a perfect setting, just big enough to let the full richness come through with room to make the windows vibrate as well as get the near capacity audience to its feet, for the Black Betty encore that sealed the deal for a sure return.

12 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-09-18 08:29:27)

So, if you’re lucky enough to be on the trail of Sari’s September tour, then you’re in with a good opportunity of grabbing an early copy of her sophomore album, Never Say Never; my advice - grab it!!!

It’s an album at first that’s going to split fans - after all the trials, tribulations and tears, the whole “engine room” has been rebuilt; literally from the ground up. First and obvious difference is in the guitar, now in the hands of Ash Wilson, stepping away from his own project for a time, to provide a crisper powerhouse sound. On the other side,  on keys is the everyband member, Bob Fridzema. Mat Beable on bass surely needs no introduction and behind the drums, Ray Martin. The only constant, the amazing, powerful & emotive voice that is Sari Schorr.

After road work-outs, this incredible band locked themselves away in the Norfolk studios at The Grange for 3 days and recorded live, most of the album, capturing the stage chemistry that had come together. Three track, Beautiful, Freedom and title track Never Say Never were recorded at Superfly Studios with a slightly different line-up, still Ash & Mat but with 2nd guitar by Steve Wright, drums from Neal Wilkinson and keys from Bennett Holland (which itself may spark debate on who’s best between Bennett & Bob, much like United or Wednesday). In place of Mike Vernon, production is well handled by Henning Gehrke; mastering by Jon Astley, the only other name carried over from Force of Nature.

That gives us 11 tasty new tracks, two of which are covers; not quite as full-on Bluesy as it’s predecessor, but packed with goose-bump moments. Getting the covers out the way, first is Mick Ralph’s contribution to the Bad Company canon, Ready For Love, and Sari has no difficulty in rising to match Paul Rodger’s emotive range or power. The other cover is the title track and album closer, the tender and haunting Ian McLagan composition Never Say Never which again is made her own by reining in the power.

There’s a lot of the usual “names” used as a bench mark for Sari’s voice, but over the majority of the album, the one that stands out for me is Stevie Lange (or Vann), if anyone can remember the band Night from the late 70s early 80s… never quite achieved their promise; Zambian born Stevie was their singer. (best known here for Remember My Name from the Limara advert….). That said, there’s one track, Turn the Radio On, which reminds me of another big voice, from that same era, “Tiny Boiler” during her Steinman years….

Opener, King of Rock and Roll, is a smouldering, building tale of doing a deal at the crossroads for fame, fortune etc. Thank You, opens with swirling Hammond and Wah-Wah guitar, with a title dripping with irony and rocks out.  Valentina, another of Sari’s rockers storms along into a blistering solo by Ash. Bob leads the riff into the anthemic New Revolution. A real change in tone and style is apparent in Beautiful, not only the different studio and band but this is Sari mellowing out. and showing a different dimension; not only that, Ash delivers not one, but two spine-tingling solos. Maybe I’m Fooling is another belter of a rock track, Ash & Bob going toe-to-toe. Again, a slight change, Back To LA has a great West Coast Rock vibe as the title suggests, very Fleetwood Mac. Freedom is another of the Superfly tracks and rocks away with Bennett & Ash trading hot swipes behind Sari’s best Janis howling vocals.

With a totally re-built band, there’s a temptation to look at this as a re-debut, but then Sari’s not doing a Bowie-like re-invention of herself, she’s wanting to make her statement, her way and with the best band she can muster. Well, that part is nailed. Is it as good as Force of Nature? Yes. Is it better than Force of Nature? Too close and too early to tell, but to equal the first is no mean feat, so for me, one of the strongest albums of the year - 85%.

Never Say Never Tour video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQEHtAC2SAM
Ready For Love (Live) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3WCz5O76y0

Sari Schorr @ Darlington Forum; 8-4-22

Not long back home (unexpected roadworks & diversion at Washington, or would have been sooner) from another scorching night's entertainment, courtesy of Darlington R'n'B Club. Making a welcome return to the town, with her amazing band was New Yorker Sari Schorr and she raised the temperature, raised the roof and raised a little Hell in the old town.

As expected, 2 peerless sets of R'n'B in her own inimitable style: the first set being a little "lower key", but hey even warming up her rich voice had undertones of Tina Turner (at her raunchiest) and call me crazy, but afternotes of Laura Branigan at one point. The 2nd set though was all Sari, firing like a big block chevvy, on the closing Leadbelly mash-up of In The Pines and Black Betty.  Might be down to having missed the band these past 2 years, but we came away feeling this show was certainly "rockier" the the last indoor show in the region, probably part with the material from the most recent studio album being more "road-bedded" and [more] part Sari & the guys just being glad to be back out playing.

Of course, this could be done without the backing of a quality band, and with regulars Matt Beeble on Bass, Bob Fridzema on keys Ash Wilson on Lead Guitar and [sibling] Phil Wilson on drums, she has the backing of the 8 safest hands on the road, and how they were showcased in the Willie Dixon encore, I Just Want To Make Love To You.

Sari Schorr @ Newcastle; Cluny2

So, not long back in from another tremendous "school night" gig on the doorstep. This time the tungsten-tonsilled Sari Schorr and her band, on the 2nd leg of her 2022 European Tour and their first visit to The Cluny.

Another great evening of powerful Blues-rock, Sari letting rip with her awesome voice, pinning people to the back wall of Cluny2, while the band, Matt Beable, Ash & Phil Wilson, and keyboard guy who looked not unlike a mid-1970s Billy Connolly were incendiary. Being leg 2 of the tour, this time round we were treated to a couple of new numbers, so brace yourselves for an upcoming album.

Busy times ahead for Sari as she winds up for her new album in the Autumn and a collaboration with Robin Trower also in the pipeline...

Sat, Jun 17 - Sierre, Switzerland - Sierre Blues Festival 2023

Sat, Jul 8 - Szolnok, Hungary - RepTár Szolnoki Interaktív Repülőmúzeum
Kiefer Sutherland - So Full of Love Tour - Support

Sun, Jul 9 - Prague, Czech Republic - Lucerna Music Bar

Tue, Jul 11 - Nürnberg, Germany - Serenadenhof

Thu, Jul 13 - Lubeck, Germany - Kulturwerft Gollan

Fri, Jul 14 - Aabenraa, Denmark - Arena Aabenraa

Sat, Jul 15 - The Hague, Netherlands - Zuiderpark Live

Mon, Jul 17 - Norwich, United Kingdom - Waterfront - SOLD OUT

Tue, Jul 18 - Bournemouth, United Kingdom - O2 Academy Bournemouth

Wed, Jul 19 - Brighton, United Kingdom - Chalk

Sat, Jul 22 - Coventry, United Kingdom - HMV Empire

Tue, Jul 25 - Manchester, United Kingdom - O2 Ritz

Wed, Jul 26 - Edinburgh, United Kingdom - Queens Hall

Sat, Aug 19 - Tilford, United Kingdom - Weyfest Music Festival 2023
Fri, Aug 25 - Dărmănești, Romania - Open Air Blues in the Garden Festival
Sun, Sep 17 - Otwak, Poland - Otwock Blues Bazar 2023
Wed, Oct 18 - Erfurt, Germany - Museumskelle
Fri, Oct 20 -  Torgau, Germany - Kulturbastion Torgau Open Air

Wed, Oct 25 - York, United Kingdom - The Crescent Community Venue
with special guest Matt Pearce & The Mutiny

Thu, Oct 26 - Glasgow, United Kingdom - Oran Mor

Fri, Oct 27 - Carlisle, United Kingdom - Old Fire Station

Sat, Oct 28 - Barnsley, United Kingdom - The Birdwell Venue

Sun, Oct 29 - Leek, United Kingdom - Foxlowe Arts Centre

Tue, Oct 31 - Newbury, United Kingdom - Arlington Arts Centre

Wed, Nov 1 - London, United Kingdom - Garage

Thu, Nov 2 - Gloucester, United Kingdom - Guildhall

Fri, Nov 3 - Birmingham, United Kingdom - The Castle & Falcon

Sat, Nov 4 - Grimsby, United Kingdom - Docks Academy