Re: What song are you listening to right now?

Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown have a new CD coming out next month titled Shake the Roots. Announcement made late last week that they are now controlling their own destiny through their new record label Rattle Shake Records.

First single has been released - Ain't None Watered Down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StHsvR1tvGs

I am totally committed to this band right now. Saw two shows over the weekend and they were fantastic. High energy, fun and the music is out of this world. These boys are so talented. Each one of them in total command of his instrument and excellent vocals, too!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Men with Broken Hearts · Darrell Scott  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaN_R65kOU

6,807 (edited by Curby 2022-08-23 22:07:37)

Been listening to old Allman Brothers tonight; "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed."  Early 70's bands.

I got a good deal on Tedeschi Trucks Band's "I Am The Moon" Volumes 2 & 3, and I've been listening to them nonstop. Absolutely incredible albums.  I've been streaming 1 & 4 as well and need to pick those up at some point.

Jack J Hutchinson - What doesn't Kill You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_mepKkI-s4

Track taken from Jack's The Hammer Falls album, remixed by a certain Mr Shirley...

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

I have a ton of this guy's music and like it a lot, but this live version from a 2007 album is outstanding.  Some songs just reach out and grab your heartstrings and man this is a doozy.

https://youtu.be/7iILVlxOPWM

Curby wrote:

I have a ton of this guy's music and like it a lot, but this live version from a 2007 album is outstanding.  Some songs just reach out and grab your heartstrings and man this is a doozy.

https://youtu.be/7iILVlxOPWM

Thought they'd dropped off the radar; must be 5 or 6 years since last seen in the UK... One of those bands still on my "to see" list

Bernie Marsden - Trios (2022)

The third release in Bernie's "Inspirations" series of album, so is the title any coincidence? Don't know; don't care, the only fact being that once again, Bernie serves up a set of tracks from the likes of Mountain, Cream, Taste; Jimi Hendrix Experience and Beck, Bogert & Appice that are more than just mere covers, these have a reverence.

There's also slices of Rick Derringer (Rock & Roll Hoochie Coo, James Gang (Funk #49); Robin Trower (Too Rolling Stoned); Peter green (Driftin' Blues) as well as touching back into his own history with Cozy Powell's Hammer (Na,Na,Na).

Beth Hart "Sugar Shack" live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQhvsUktzM8

The Teskey Brothers - Half Mile Harvest (2018)
                                     Run Home Slow (2019)

Brothers Landreth, Osbourne Brothers, Wilson Brothers, Cinelli Brothers; seems these days my CD buying is dominated by bands of siblings (and no, I'm not forgetting The Mentulls' Pipe brothers). And now, from Australia come The Teskey Brothers, Josh on lead vocals and Sam on lead guitar [Liam Gough on drums and Brendon Love on bass]: not a discovery of mine but one from Curby, back when these were new releases. I know but it sometimes takes a while to get affordable CDs from Australia. Once again, he's come up trumps with a selection of fine "blue-eyed soul" as both albums drip with Muscle Shoals horns but the Australians doing their own thing, these are a little more restrained that other picks. At times, you do hope that Josh would unleash the great voice he has as it would easily push toward the Paul Rodgers. I can't really pick the outstanding track between both albums, where they may lean toward the understated it plays well to a haunting sort of quality; however, being picky, I feel on the debut album does have an overlong playout; the song itself runs 5 minutes, then there's a 2 minute breakdown, then another 4 minutes before fading out...

Despite the albums now being 3 years old, there are 2 further, "Live" releases Live At The Forum (2019) & So Caught Up [Live at Hamer Hall] (2020); hopefully something new to follow, soon.

Pain & Misery - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBFZNVxG86o&t=1s
Let Me Let You Down - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meI2mkSEYs8

Laurence Jones - Destination Unknown (2022)

Well, here we are, Laurence's new label debut for Marshall Records (as in Marshall Amps btw), and certainly the guitar playing live's up to the deal, as well as all the other instruments in this 1st recording for the new line-up. Well, new isn't exactly right, Bennett Holland remains on keys, as Laurence's right-hand man but it is first studio outing with drummer Samuel Jenkins as well as my ol' mate from VATA, Mr Jack Alexander Timmis on bass. Together, they make quite a unit and collectively & individually, they've contributed to all the songs on the album, as well as Laurence' fiancé c Amy hipping in on a number.

Destination Unknown? Well it is a departure from the Blues on which Laurence cut his teeth a decade ago; while contemporaries like Kris Barras and Jack J Hutchison have moved to markedly heavier sounds, Laurence too has "beefed-up" but only as far as AOR; think in the lines of Night Ranger. No fault with that, and while the new songs are crisp and punchy, he needs a "Sister Christian" since "Thunder In The Sky", great as it is, is getting a bit flabby. Still, Unknown as the destination may be, it's the journey that's been the fun, and Laurence has a good few miles in him yet.

BansheeUK wrote:

Well, here we are, Laurence's new label debut for Marshall Records (as in Marshall Amps btw), and certainly the guitar playing live's up to the deal, as well as all the other instruments in this 1st recording for the new line-up. Well, new isn't exactly right, Bennett Holland remains on keys, as Laurence's right-hand man but it is first studio outing with drummer Samuel Jenkins as well as my ol' mate from VATA, Mr Jack Alexander Timmis on bass. Together, they make quite a unit and collectively & individually, they've contributed to all the songs on the album, as well as Laurence' fiancé c Amy hipping in on a number.

Destination Unknown? Well it is a departure from the Blues on which Laurence cut his teeth a decade ago; while contemporaries like Kris Barras and Jack J Hutchison have moved to markedly heavier sounds, Laurence too has "beefed-up" but only as far as AOR; think in the lines of Night Ranger. No fault with that, and while the new songs are crisp and punchy, he needs a "Sister Christian" since "Thunder In The Sky", great as it is, is getting a bit flabby. Still, Unknown as the destination may be, it's the journey that's been the fun, and Laurence has a good few miles in him yet.

Well, that was certainly an interesting take on LJ's latest.  I agree with all the observations, especially the non blues he's mostly known for.  Some of the songs will need a few listens to season the listener, but I've gotta say this is his best so far.  The whole band sounds real tight and Laurence's playing has a Claptonish restraint I prefer these days.  It does have an early 80's hair rock groove
too and that adds to its magic.

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Well, that was certainly an interesting take on LJ's latest.  I agree with all the observations, especially the non blues he's mostly known for.  Some of the songs will need a few listens to season the listener, but I've gotta say this is his best so far.  The whole band sounds real tight and Laurence's playing has a Claptonish restraint I prefer these days.  It does have an early 80's hair rock groove
too and that adds to its magic.

In terms of Laurence's style, the more I play this album, the more I hear the 80s rock stylings of Gary Moore, before he turned back to the Blues. Maybe, that's a hint of the journey to come. I do agree though, having seen the band recently, they are super-tight and this is Laurence's best album in a while, but he does need a BIG new number.

6,818 (edited by Curby 2022-09-21 22:42:18)

I went through the three bands Mike's focused on and although Jack J Hutchinson's put out an interesting departure from previous albums I wouldn't put it above Destination Unknown.  Kris Barras' new music is definitely heavier than usual, but he's not as adventurous as Jack or Laurence.  Reminds me of Philip Sayce and Stevie Salas only not as original.

As for a big hit song, there's many great bands that never got a whiff.  listening to Mr. Jones' LP I'd rate it a 9/10.  After numerous plays I can't find a song I don't like.  This will be near the top for this year's stellar crop.  Bennett Holland really underscores the beautiful guitar playing on every track.

Thanks again BansheeUK for the shout.  Your best this year.

Marillion - Holidays In Eden (1991/2022) Deluxe Edition

Yikes! Has it really been 30 years since this came out? Wow! I can remember a very hot gig in Workington Rugby Ground not long after the album's release and finding myself standing in the middle of the band...

Anyway, has age diminished my enjoyment of the album, at the time and probably still) Marillion's most commercial sounding (3 projected singles: Dry Land; No One Can; Cover My Eyes; only EMI decided to promote Vanilla Ice at the time - whatever...) Well, I still love it, the electronic insistence of Splintering Heart and the unfurling drama of The Party (a foretaste of the next album, Brave). This was a difficult album to make apparently, Marillion being the only band to suffer "difficult 2nd album" syndrome; firstly, with Fugazi and now Holidays, h's sophomore album. Season's End had been an easy ride since most of the music had been written before he joined; now accepted by the fans, the follow-up was a blank canvas that took 6 months to fill.

Judge for yourselves the result, but this Deluxe edition in the dog's b*****ks. It may not have had the obligatory Steven Wilson proggy breathe on treatment, but you can't fault Stephen Taylor's remix: then you get a 2-disc recording of September 1991's Hammersmith show. However, the Blu-ray disc in the goodie bag; 3 sound mixes of the original album, 12 b-sides and demos, 3 promo videos + studio demo, a new, 85 minute "Making of" documentary and a full 95-minute Rockpalast video (featuring Garden Party, Freaks & Jester's Tear).

Taster from Troy Redfern's new album, Wings of Salvation released yesterday; brace yourselves....

Sweet Carolina - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppvjxf5hVg

BansheeUK wrote:

Yikes! Has it really been 30 years since this came out? Wow! I can remember a very hot gig in Workington Rugby Ground not long after the album's release and finding myself standing in the middle of the band...

Anyway, has age diminished my enjoyment of the album, at the time and probably still) Marillion's most commercial sounding (3 projected singles: Dry Land; No One Can; Cover My Eyes; only EMI decided to promote Vanilla Ice at the time - whatever...) Well, I still love it, the electronic insistence of Splintering Heart and the unfurling drama of The Party (a foretaste of the next album, Brave). This was a difficult album to make apparently, Marillion being the only band to suffer "difficult 2nd album" syndrome; firstly, with Fugazi and now Holidays, h's sophomore album. Season's End had been an easy ride since most of the music had been written before he joined; now accepted by the fans, the follow-up was a blank canvas that took 6 months to fill.

Judge for yourselves the result, but this Deluxe edition in the dog's b*****ks. It may not have had the obligatory Steven Wilson proggy breathe on treatment, but you can't fault Stephen Taylor's remix: then you get a 2-disc recording of September 1991's Hammersmith show. However, the Blu-ray disc in the goodie bag; 3 sound mixes of the original album, 12 b-sides and demos, 3 promo videos + studio demo, a new, 85 minute "Making of" documentary and a full 95-minute Rockpalast video (featuring Garden Party, Freaks & Jester's Tear).

This has to be at least your third mention of Marillion and I finally really looked into this double album.  All I can say is WOW!  What a great album and with 2 discs to boot.  I really like the demo versions the best for some reason.  "This Town" has a Billy Idol pulse to it and other songs are all over the great sounds of 80's/90's.  Not this record, but these guys are mostly Prog (like Hawkwind), yet there's Peter Gabriel floating around here too.
If you knew about these guys in the day you were one hep cat.

Adios Forum friends....

6,822 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-09-27 03:12:41)

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

This has to be at least your third mention of Marillion and I finally really looked into this double album.  All I can say is WOW!  What a great album and with 2 discs to boot.  I really like the demo versions the best for some reason.  "This Town" has a Billy Idol pulse to it and other songs are all over the great sounds of 80's/90's.  Not this record, but these guys are mostly Prog (like Hawkwind), yet there's Peter Gabriel floating around here too.
If you knew about these guys in the day you were one hep cat.

Adios Forum friends....

if you didn't really know Marillion back "in the day", they were always dogged with a "poor man's Genesis" tag, so you're right about the "Prog" label, and interesting nod with the Peter Gabriel comparison.

After their 1st four albums they were thought to have mis-stepped when frontman, singer and lyricist Fish left the band, they were down, and counted out by a lot and it gave new singer Steve Hogarth a mountain to climb. He was a real out-field choice, but boy, what a voice he had [& still has] as well as charisma by the bucketful.

Maybe they never quite hit the commercial & critical peak of Misplaced Childhood but there's a lot of albums over the years come close. And this is the band that all but invented "crowd-funding" to boot.

PS - if you hadn't guessed - I'm a FAN. One of the few bands I'll use that term about.