Topic: Firekind

Checking back, I've mentioned these guys a few times as I think lead guitar Jas Morris has been overlooked for long enough.

Some on here may remember Jas & Dan when they toured the Blues circuit as Morris Brothers Band some 15-20 years back, and back then they garnered plenty of news and good reports. Then, they seemed to change tack and name (Rude Tiger) and seemed to disappear back into Devon & Cornwall. And then, another name change and they became Firekind.

There is currently one full album, What I Have Found Is Already Lost to their credit; recorded a while back in L.A. and augmented last year during Lockdown; and also a brace of EPs. A heavy, prog sound but the sort of quality that shows Kris Barras doesn't own all the West Country.

The guys have announced a double-header, week-long tour of Scotland & Northern England with Yorkshire's fiesty Loz Campbell.

01 JUL WILDFIRE FESTIVAL Wanlockhead, Scotland 12:00 pm
03 JUL NICE N SLEAZY Glasgow, Scotland 7:00 pm
04 JUL TRILLIANS Newcastle, [nr]Scotland 7:00 pm
05 JUL THE JACARANDA Liverpool, England 7:00 pm
06 JUL VICTORIA VAULTS York, England 7:00 pm
07 JUL THE COUNTY MUSIC BAR Chesterfield - England 7:00 pm
08 JUL THE ASYLUM 2 Birmingham, England 7:00 pm

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...

Re: Firekind

Trillians Rock bar - Newcastle. 4/7/2022

Well, just back in from a rockin' hot night (on a Monday!?!) down at Trillians in Newcastle; and a double-header of new-to-me bands, Loz Campbell and Firekind really shook Princess Square. Before any rumours to the contrary start, that big pile of rubble next door, at the top of Pilgrim Street was not the rehearsal room, so they say....
Starting ladies first, Loz Campbell and her band were just aswesome. Not trying to re-invent the wheel, they were old-school rock, a little Halestorm power and Runaways' punk vibe. They were feisty, in-your-face and if you didn't like it, you should have stayed home and streamed some Adele.
However, it was the Firekind boys I was most interested in seeing, and I blame Aynsley Lister for this since I first found an obscure mention of them deep in the forum archives. Now sure to be the worst kept secret in Devon since Kris Barras, I was impressed enough by what I found searching YouTube, so the chance to catch them on their 1st visit to my backyard wasn't something I was going to pass up, and boy was I ever right, YouTube just doesn't compare when they're right in front of you. Jas & Dan have an incredible "reading" of each other, even for brothers but it's the amount of energy they put in; neither is still for more than a second; not in a "look at me" kind of way, more a "if I stop I'll spontaneously ignite" sort of way.
And the music, well, it's rockin' progressive, not quite Queensryche and not quite Rush, but every bit as powerful. A stampede of drums underpinning pounding basslines and driving riffs and soaring vocals on a selection of choice originals. As vocalist and lead guitar, you'd expect Jas to be very much the focal point yet he doesn't play it up; there's a stock of string riffs and tight breaks but he resists the urge to wander off on extended breaks, yet you get the impression that if he did, he'd melt your brain.....
I think you can guess, they didn't just meet my expectations, they flew past and left them standing. Some bands you wait a while to catch, some longer than others. Well, compared to some, I've had a comparative short wait to catch Firekind; I just hope I don't have to wait as long again before someone coaxes them backup these parts.... PLEASE!!!!
Too early yet for this show, but here's a taster from a tour last year...
Cry For Help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG30r9R9s6g
If There's Any reason - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU7iVmFzvDM

I've been meaning to say something about Firekind and how much I enjoy their music.  The music has a fresh Prog sound and is instrumentally well played.

Word is, there's some new material in the can, at least one new number got a run through last week; release most probably early next year...

Last seen, i think in 2009, Jas & dan are slipping back into their old shoes,,,,,

THE MORRIS BROTHERS BAND - REUNION GIG!

I'm really excited to announce that me, Jas and D will be doing a special MBB reunion show on Saturday the 10th of September!
We will be playing a mix of original MBB songs including some classics we used to play from back in the day. Featuring special guests who will be joining us during the evening. We may even have some harmony guitars!
The night will be in memory of my old man Richard 'Dick' Morris who I know will be smiling down on us when we crack out some classic MBB favourites! Lets get the place jumping.
Note: I can’t promise we’ll look the same in the photos haha
When: September 10th 2022 (time TBC)
Where: Highweek Village Inn, Newton Abbot
Entry: Free but to be confirmed - there may be a small fee on entry