Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

Friday 8th April  BBC4

Repeat showings, but a rare treat tonight for Bonnie Raitt fans:-

21:00 - BBC4 Sessions: Bonnie Raitt
Filmed at Stoke Newington Town Hall in north London, this career-spanning concert features Bonnie Raitt and her road-tested band in sparkling form.

Raitt started out supporting blues artists like Mississippi Fred McDowell, while championing the generation of singer-songwriters who emerged in the early 70s. She released her eponymously titled debut album in 1971 and her most recent album prior to this concert, Slipstream, came out in 2012.

This set roams across her career and includes signature songs like Love Has No Pride, Nick of Time and the bluesy Love Me Like a Man. The slide guitar-slinging, flame-haired queen of roots and blues rock is joined by frequent collaborator and songwriter Paul Brady on Marriage Made in Hollywood and there's even a bluesy romp through the old Elvis tune, A Big Hunk o' Love.

22:00 - 22:40 - Old Grey Whistle Test: Bonnie Raitt
Bob Harris introduces Bonnie Raitt in a special concert performance for the Old Grey Whistle Test from 1976.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

wish I could get it, but might try looking on the Utube. You might remember that George (Amsterhammer) called her "The Goddess"

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

327 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-03-31 10:08:52)

ahsmith33 wrote:

wish I could get it, but might try looking on the Utube. You might remember that George (Amsterhammer) called her "The Goddess"

I've just checked and the good news is, both sessions are on Youtube; the "Whistle Test" is the full 40 mins and ther BBC4 session (from 2013) looks like the full show too.

BBC4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7L5Q_LSpQU
Whistle Test - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgEqtCNtzU

PS, Bonnie's latest album, Just Like That comes out April 2nd....

29th July... BBC4

22:00 - 23:20 - The Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne

"For more than five decades, Ozzy Osbourne has personified rock 'n' roll rebellion. Like a cat, he has had many lives, always landing on his feet and propelling himself towards greater success - and almost dying several times along the way.

The Nine Lives of Ozzy Osbourne follows Ozzy’s journey from his poor childhood and time spent in prison, to fronting metal band Black Sabbath and a successful solo career, to becoming rock’s elder statesman and a lovable 21st-century TV dad. As Ozzy turns 70, he reflects on his extraordinary life, revealing intimate details of his successes, failures and unique ability for survival and reinvention."

13th Jan

23:00 - 00:30 - The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson
imagine...Autumn 2015

Julien Temple updates the remarkable story of Dr Feelgood musician Wilko Johnson. Reflecting on his impending death following his diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, Johnson muses on the transformative power of mortality. Determined to live out his remaining months playing music, he records an album with Roger Daltrey in a mere eight days and embarks on a series of farewell tours. Yet, there is an unexpected twist in the tale, captured here by Julien Temple and interwoven with remarkable archive footage and music.

BBC4:  Fri May 5th

21:00 - 22:30pm  - Fanny: The Right To Rock  (new programme)

"The untold story of a California garage band, co-founded in the 1960s by Filipina American and queer teenagers, which morphed into the ferocious rock group Fanny, the first all-female band to release an LP with a major record label (Warner/Reprise, 1970).

Despite releasing Top 40 hits and five critically acclaimed albums between 1970 to 1974, counting David Bowie as one of their most vocal fans and touring extensively with bands like Chicago, Steely Dan, Slade and other major groups, Fanny's groundbreaking impact in music has been lost in the mists of time… until bandmates reunite 50 years later with a new rock record deal and a chance to right the wrongs of history.

Fanny's brave present-day journey and fascinating backstory is illuminated by rare performance archival footage, photography and celebrity interviews with music legends including Bonnie Raitt, Todd Rundgren, The Go Go's Kathy Valentine, The Runaways’ Cherie Currie, The B52's Kate Pierson, Lovin' Spoonful's John Sebastien, Def Leppard's Joe Elliott, David Bowie's guitarist Earl Slick and bassist Gail Ann Dorsey, Charles Neville and Steely Dan's Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter.

Fanny blasted glass ceilings of racism and sexism back in the 1960s and 70s, with the lesbian bandmates told to either hide their LBGTQ identity or leave the band, and with their new album, these feisty women, now in their 70s, challenge the stigma of ageism as well.

Through the captivating lens of rock 'n' roll, this film raises critical questions about identity, perseverance, love, family and the elusive alchemy of pursuing the American Dream."

June 2nd - BBC 4

21:00 - 22:00  Gordon Lightfoot - In Concert
In tribute to the Canadian singer/songwriter who died in early Nay; BBC4 are showing of a classic concert by Gordon Lightfoot from 1972, accompanied by Red Shea and Richard Haynes. They perform songs including Summer Side of Life, Saturday Clothes, That's What You Get for Loving Me, Affair on 8th Avenue, If I Could Read Your Mind, Steel Rail Blues, Ten Degrees and Getting Colder, Early Morning Rain, Me and Bobby McGee, Minstrel of the Dawn and Canadian Pacific Trilogy.

BBC4 - Friday Aug 4th...

21:45  -  22:45  In Concrt - Elkie Brooks
Singer Elkie Brooks in concert at the Hippodrome, Golders Green, first broadcast simultaneously with Radio 1 in 1977. With a special introduction by Annie Nightingale.

BansheeUK wrote:

June 2nd - BBC 4

21:00 - 22:00  Gordon Lightfoot - In Concert
In tribute to the Canadian singer/songwriter who died in early Nay; BBC4 are showing of a classic concert by Gordon Lightfoot from 1972, accompanied by Red Shea and Richard Haynes. They perform songs including Summer Side of Life, Saturday Clothes, That's What You Get for Loving Me, Affair on 8th Avenue, If I Could Read Your Mind, Steel Rail Blues, Ten Degrees and Getting Colder, Early Morning Rain, Me and Bobby McGee, Minstrel of the Dawn and Canadian Pacific Trilogy.

Glad I came across this little tidbit.  Since his passing in May, Gordon Lightfoot has been on my mind quite a bit.  His body of work is considerably richer than just "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".
Last week my wife and I drove up to Whitefish Point where the EF sank with all 29 aboard nearly 50 years ago.  Lake Superior is the grandest of the 5 great lakes.
My library of his music was a little sparse so I picked up a couple albums this week.  He's got a live album from the Royal Albert Hall coming out tomorrow.  I'll be getting it.

This was almost essential Friday evening viewing if you didn't have a gig to attend, when Wooders started the thread. These days though, it tends more to be a tribute night to recently passed performers - though Elkie is still very much alive and kicking and touring.

These days, the BBC don't seem to make much in the way of Live performance shows, apart from Later with Jools Holland and Glastonbury coverage + a couple of other festivals; however, it's fortunate that the 1970s and 1980s were the hayday for such shows as there's archive performances of people like Gordon Lightfoot in their prime.

BBC4 - Friday Aug 18th

Looks like ladies Night this week: -

21:55 - Bonnie Raitt   BBC Four Sessions

Filmed at Stoke Newington Town Hall in north London, this career-spanning concert features Bonnie Raitt and her road-tested band in sparkling form.
Raitt started out supporting blues artists like Mississippi Fred McDowell, while championing the generation of singer-songwriters who emerged in the early 70s. She released her eponymously titled debut album in 1971 and her most recent album prior to this concert, Slipstream, came out in 2012.
This set roams across her career and includes signature songs like Love Has No Pride, Nick of Time and the bluesy Love Me Like a Man. The slide guitar-slinging, flame-haired queen of roots and blues rock is joined by frequent collaborator and songwriter Paul Brady on Marriage Made in Hollywood and there's even a bluesy romp through the old Elvis tune, A Big Hunk o' Love.

22:55 - Judy Collins  In Concert
Folk singer Judy Collins performs to a BBC studio audience in 1974.

23:30 - Joan Baez: Part 1  In Concert
Folk singer Joan Baez performs live at the BBC Television Theatre, London, in 1965. Songs include Rambler Gambler, Don't Think Twice, It's All Right and We Shall Overcome.

00:05 - OO:40 - Joan Baez: Part 2 In Concert
Folk singer Joan Baez performs live in concert at the BBC Television Theatre, London, in 1965. Songs include Silver Dagger, It Ain't Me, Babe and Isn't It Grand, Boys.

Note: - these could well change as news is breaking of the passing of Robbie Robertson...

BBC 4  -  Friday 27th October

BBC4 is celebrating and trawling 35 years of archive Paul Weller on the BBC...

21:00 Paul Weller at the BBC
Compilation of performances from the BBC archive spanning 35 years of Paul Weller, from the Jam to the Style Council to his solo career.
From the heady days of mod-punk trio the Jam there's In The City on TOTP, The Eton Rifles on teen pop culture show Something Else and more, up to their final single Beat Surrender.
Jazz-funk-soul collective the Style Council take over with first single Speak Like a Child on Sight & Sound and a storming Walls Come Tumbling Down on the Whistle Test.
Weller's persistently successful solo career is chronicled on Later with Jools Holland - where he's the most frequently featured artist in the show's history - with Sunflower to the Attic (from 2012's Sonik Kicks album), plus an acoustic rendition of the Jam classic That's Entertainment with Noel Gallagher.
Amongst other treats are a rarely-seen performance from the Electric Proms of Etta James's Don't Go to Strangers, where the changingman is joined onstage at the Roundhouse by Amy Winehouse.

22:00 - Weller; Live At The Barbican
Paul Weller joins forces with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and multi-talented arranger and conductor Jules Buckley for a special one-off concert of his music.
It features songs drawn from Paul’s long career – with classics from his early days fronting The Jam through the 80s with The Style Council – and majoring on his four decades as a solo artist, including material from his most recent album.
Presented by Edith Bowman and filmed at London’s Barbican Centre, the concert also includes performances of some of Paul’s best-loved songs by three very special guests - Boy George, James Morrison and Celeste. With behind-the-scenes footage and specially shot interviews, this is Paul Weller’s music as never heard before.

23:30 - Paul Weller: BBC4 Sessions
In an exclusive BBC4 session filmed at BBC Television Centre, Paul Weller performs numbers from his album 22 Dreams, solo hits including From the Floorboards Up and Peacock Suit, and a couple of classics from The Jam's back catalogue.
Weller performs with his regular five-piece band and is joined on some numbers by the Wired Strings and a brass section. He also has special guests, including Oasis guitarist Gem Archer on Echoes Round the Sun, fiddle player Eliza Carthy on Wild Wood and Where'er You Go and Blur guitarist Graham Coxon on Black River.

BBC4 - Friday 3rd November

More on the Country side than Blues or Rock, but according to the blurb, this is one from out the archives; Summer 1968 to be exact - 5 episodes of The Bobbie Gentry Show...

21:00 - Episode 1
Bobbie sings of the fragrance, love, sorrow and humour of the Delta country. She is joined by Long John Baldry. Featuring Tears of Joy on backing vocals and dancing by Pan's People.

21:30 - Episode 2
Bobbie sings of the fragrance, love, sorrow and humour of the Delta country. Her guest is Donovan. Featuring vocal backing from Tears of Joy and dancing by Pan's People.

22:00 - Episode 3
Series featuring the music and friends of singer-songwriter Bobbie Gentry. Her special guests in this edition are The Hollies.

22:30 - Episode 4
Bobbie Gentry is joined by special guests Jerry Reed, Sue and Sunny, and Hank Strzelecki. Featuring dancing by Pan's People.

23:00 - Episode 5
Series featuring the music and friends of singer-songwriter Bobbie Gentry. Her special guest in this episode is Mason Williams. With dancing by Pan's People.