Re: My Next Concert (s)

Rival Sons in Blackburn on Saturday.

10th July:-

Afternoon - Sophie Ellis-Bextor @ Tynemouth Priory. (yes, I have my more "Pop music" moments. Come on, hands up all those who've been to a gig in the ruins of a 14th century Benedictine monastery)

Quick break for change of t-shirt and a pint of coffee....

Evening - His Lordship @ Newcastle Cluny2.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

10th July:-

Afternoon - Sophie Ellis-Bextor @ Tynemouth Priory. (yes, I have my more "Pop music" moments. Come on, hands up all those who've been to a gig in the ruins of a 14th century Benedictine monastery)

Tynemouth Priory - 10th July

Well, some days you just have to get out the spangly roller-boots and have a good ol' boogie, and who better as Mistress of Ceremonies than Sophie Ellis-Bextor.... O.K, so my triple toe-loop may be no more, but the band was hot, there was plenty of Nile Rogers in the guitar, the sun was shining....

Pleasant surprise of the afternoon though was 2nd on the bill Newton Faulkner. I only previously knew for his reading of Teardrops, so no surprise the guy could sing, but what a great set he did, got the audience on his side, and carried them to the end with an acoustic Bohemian Rhapsody that had all Tynemouth Priory singing... I'll be checking more on this guy...

BansheeUK wrote:

10th July:- Newcastle Cluny2

And now, just back home from a frenetic gig at The Cluny featuring new band His Lordship,  the new project from guitarist James Walbourne (The Pretenders, The Pogues, The Rails) and Kristoffer Sonne (Chrissie Hynde, Willie Nelson). They're a sort of fusion between old school rock'n'roll and punk; a blend of Link Wray and The Ramones. However, they're no "one-trick ponies"; while the set was short (based round their debut EP), there were flashes of brilliance, a great reading of the old Santo & Johnny Sleepwalk and some picking from Walbourne that were pure Albert Lee before the set was wound up with an instrumental much like Love Sculpture's Sabre Dance. And that's where I'd leave comparisons for Walbourne and His Lordship, like Dave Edmunds on crack...

The retro rock'n'roll maybe a little niche, unless we're at the start of a new resurgence, but whatever, Walbourne is way too good a guitarist not to have a signature project to really show his worth.

15th July - Laurence Jones @ Darlington Forum

BansheeUK wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

And now, just back home from a frenetic gig at The Cluny featuring new band His Lordship,  the new project from guitarist James Walbourne (The Pretenders, The Pogues, The Rails) and Kristoffer Sonne (Chrissie Hynde, Willie Nelson). They're a sort of fusion between old school rock'n'roll and punk; a blend of Link Wray and The Ramones. However, they're no "one-trick ponies"; while the set was short (based round their debut EP), there were flashes of brilliance, a great reading of the old Santo & Johnny Sleepwalk and some picking from Walbourne that were pure Albert Lee before the set was wound up with an instrumental much like Love Sculpture's Sabre Dance. And that's where I'd leave comparisons for Walbourne and His Lordship, like Dave Edmunds on crack...

The retro rock'n'roll maybe a little niche, unless we're at the start of a new resurgence, but whatever, Walbourne is way too good a guitarist not to have a signature project to really show his worth.

Interesting review, especially mentioning Dave Edmonds' band Love Sculpture.  I've got HL's EP and all BansheeUK's observations are on point.  James Walbourne is one of those very talented guitarists not getting the respect he should.  Hearing "Sleepwalk" by him would probably be worth the price of admission alone.  Definitely a band to follow going forward.

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Interesting review, especially mentioning Dave Edmonds' band Love Sculpture.  I've got HL's EP and all BansheeUK's observations are on point.  James Walbourne is one of those very talented guitarists not getting the respect he should.  Hearing "Sleepwalk" by him would probably be worth the price of admission alone.  Definitely a band to follow going forward.

Think next mention His Lordship will be getting their own thread....And they are worth it, I put the above notes on Social media and His Lordship get approval from ian Siegal, and what he doesn't know....

PS - would you believe the admission was $10 (give or take)?

On a whim I went to see Alastair Greene tonight. He and his band played great, it was a fun evening. I can see why he's been getting a lot of buzz.  I think he could use more diversity in his set though, after a while it got a bit same-y, tone-wise and song-wise. Still worth going, I really enjoyed it.

August 12 - Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown at the IL State Fair.

August 13 - Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown in Indianapolis.

A little weekend road trip for some most excellent rock and roll!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Saw TMS tonight in Fishers, Indiana north of Indy.  This concert was for them only and last second it was changed to include Govt Mule.  What I found was GM was going to do two sets and TMS got 45 minutes as a warm up band.  This was a total disrespect as GM is well beyond their relavence.

Curby wrote:

Saw TMS tonight in Fishers, Indiana north of Indy.  This concert was for them only and last second it was changed to include Govt Mule.  What I found was GM was going to do two sets and TMS got 45 minutes as a warm up band.  This was a total disrespect as GM is well beyond their relavence.

That's a bit rough.... Should have been a double-header at least, or do you think the promoter was chasing $$$s?

Couple weeks to go before my next gig; something a bit out-the-box for on here, Britain's "Blondie" Kim Wilde (with China Crisis supporting) at Gateshead Sage, Sept 10th. Bit of an 80s flashback; feels like it as we've had the tickets for 2 years.

2,136 (edited by Curby 2022-08-20 07:40:13)

I think you’re correct about the $$$$.  TMS didn’t seem fully engaged with the audience.  Walked off without an encore.
I stayed for 30 minutes of Govt Mule then left.  All they’ve got is Warren Haynes (who’s still pretty good btw), but the southern jam thing was pretty forgetful.  Their best song was a cover of  Bobby Blue Bland’s “Heart of the City.”
The weather at the amphitheater was very pleasant and there was a nice crowd.  We sat in the handicapped section and I noticed a paraplegic patron vigorously bobbing his head throughput TMS’s set.  When we left he was asleep during GM’s show.  Kinda summed things up.
I will report the two beers I had were nice and cold.

Really debating seeing St. Paul and the Broken Bones next week in St. Louis at the Pageant.  They look like a fun live band.  That’s where I saw Joe Bonamassa the first time.   Nice venue.

Next show for me:

Sept 10th - Shinedown

Just saw Joe twice in one week (Boston & Jones Beach). Can't wait to see him again!

Bill

28th Sept - Ariel Posen + Cathal Murphy @ White House; Ashington

30th Sept - Deborah Bonham & Peter Bullick @ Trillians, Newcastle

2,139 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-09-30 08:43:29)

Coming up for October:-

3rd - Sari Schorr @ Newcastle; Cluny

14th - Xander & the Peace Pirates @ Darlington; Forum

21st - Jack J Hutchinson @ Newcastle; Trillians

25th - Samantha Fish + Wille & the Bandits @ Newcastle; Wylam Brewery

28th - Mark Pontin Group @ Yarm; Cleveland Bay

2,140 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-11-06 08:01:32)

11th Nov - Cinelli Brothers @ Darlington Forum

Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown - November 19 - Reggies Music Joint, Chicago, IL

My 5th TBSD show since July. These guys are so much fun to watch and listen to.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

BarbieD wrote:

Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown - November 19 - Reggies Music Joint, Chicago, IL

My 5th TBSD show since July. These guys are so much fun to watch and listen to.

Nudge them over this side of the Atlantic please, they're on my "must see" list.