1 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-06-19 08:05:16)

Topic: Cardinal Black

Chris Buck takes hid alter-ego band Cardinal Black out on a European jaunt between September & October:-

September 2022
SEP 01 THU  Brighton, Komedia
SEP 10 SAT  Guitar Summit, Mannheim
SEP 11 SUN  Festiwall, Prague
SEP 14 WED  Huddersfield, The Parish
SEP 15 THU  Glasgow, Audio
SEP 16 FRI  Ashington, White House Social Club
SEP 17 SAT  O2 Academy Liverpool
SEP 18 SUN  Hull, The New Adelphi Club
SEP 19 MON  Manchester, Night & Day Cafe
SEP 21 WED  Birmingham, O2 Institute
SEP 22 THU  London, The Garage
SEP 24 SAT  Newport, The Neon
SEP 27 TUE  Bristol, Thekla

October 2022
OCT 07 FRI  Buckley, The Tivoli
OCT 08 SAT  Derby, The Flowerpot

PS - Find them on Kickstarter to make pledge to support their debut album

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Cardinal Black

One week in, and they're at 270% of the pledge amount for their debut album - lot of love & respect out there for Chris and the guys.

3 (edited by ahsmith33 2022-06-27 10:28:03)

Now I'm listening to Warm Love, the guys (and the girl) are damn good

Wow Wow, what a voice he has. I'm listening to Tell Me How it Feels now and will check out others

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Introducing, January Came Close

We're incredibly proud to announce that our debut album is now available to pre-order now ahead of its release on October 28th:

Pre-Order CD and digital: https://bio.to/JanuaryCameClose

What started as a University project in 2010 culminates over a decade later in January Came Close - a collection of songs written sporadically in the back of vans, rugby clubs, wedding receptions (don’t ask…) European tours, American road trips and two man tents (definitely don’t ask…). Music that has seen the best and worst of times and soundtracked some of the biggest moments in our lives. It’s about time they become your songs, not just ours...

Congratulations to the guys for making it onto Joe's Med Blues Cruise III

BansheeUK wrote:

Congratulations to the guys for making it onto Joe's Med Blues Cruise III

Seconded. Absolutely brilliant band - you should have heard/seen the ovation they got in Glasgow supporting Peter Frampton.

Handful of dates for the guys for 2023....

04.02 - Winter’s End, Wales
12.04 - Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
13.04 - Academy 3, Manchester
19.04 - Trinity, Bristol
20.04 - KK’s Steel Mill, Wolverhampton
26.04 - Boileroom, Guildford
27.04 - Islington Assembly Rooms, London
04.05 - Rescue Rooms, Nottingham
05.05 - The Social, Hull
06.05 - Room 2, Glasgow
07.05 - Anarchy Brewing Co, Newcastle
24.08 - Chepstow Castle, Wales

Judging by the responses of their groundwork this year, these are going to be very HOT tickets....

Anarchy Brewery - Newcastle   7th May

Following Friday's top-class happening at Hartlepool, tonight's follow-up gig was going to be a big ask. Fortunately, I know a few guitarists up to the job, and as it happens, Chris Buck was bringing his old/new (or other way round) band, Cardinal Black to town, on what was the last date of their current UK tour. And this band has an extra dimension in the form of vocalist Tom Hollister, who has probably one of the best Soul-tinged voices this side of the Atlantic. And after having seen Chris with his other band, Buck & Evans, and having missed the Cardinals first tour last year, Boy was I looking forward to this....

Well, be careful what you wish for... This was my first visit to Anarchy Brewery, who only started doing gigs less than a year ago. It may be a long time since we brewed Newkie Brown in town, but you can still have a p..er...knees up in a brewery in Newcastle. So the "room" is part of an old former machine shop at the side of brewery; large flat concrete floor, decent sized stage (about the same as The Steelies), 20ft suspended ceiling and walls part corrugated iron & part Perspex sheet: not too optimistic on the sound then, but every room has a "sweet spot", if you can find it in among the 250+ who turned out.

No, limitations of the room aside, for me, the mix was barely adequate; main fault being that the bass was too dominant in the mix. Had I been listening to Pino Palladino back in the day when he played for Paul Young, I'd have been happy; but this sounded too much like Steve Severin or some other 1980s Goth band. The net effect was that it detracted from Chris Buck's playing; to me, Chris has a style like Dave Gilmour, you hear the top of what's playing and you notice that subtly, underneath, he's doing his own counterpoint; this nuance was lost. Not the bass player's fault, Sam Williams is actually very, very good. The only remedy on the mix seemed to have been to tweak Tom's vocals up a notch; didn't work for me unfortunately.

What should have been a dream gig then, was disappointing: it won't stop me from seeing Chris & the band again, mainly to check if this was an aberration, but I'd be hesitating before going back to the brewery (for a show, leastways).

Set list (approximate as I left before the end...) - All vids from Glasgow, the previous night - much better mix....
Terra Firma   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucg9eEG6qHk
Where I've Been
Run
Jump In
Ain't My Time   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlDcj4GtY64
Half Way
On My Own  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcy0EXOtbI
Tell Me How It Feels
Warm Love   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfyEYm_K-M
Where Do You Go

Encore:
Rise Up
Little Bird(Annie Lennox cover)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgb-ihdNRfA
I'm Ready   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYGShqlQ4_A
Tied Up In Blue   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQ6_JHHcUw

Heads Up USA....

"We’re absolutely thrilled to announce our first transatlantic trip this Summer! We’ll be headlining Playing With Fire Festival in Omaha before playing headline shows at The Basement in Nashville and the legendary Troubadour in Los Angeles. America, it’s been a long time coming…

Tickets go on sale Friday 1st March 6pm UK/10am PT/11am CST"

07/13 - Playing With Fire; Omaha
07/15 - The Basement; Nashville  *SOLD OUT*
07/18 - Troubadour; Los Angeles

Edit: - don't know the size of the venue at Nashville, but apparently it sold out in 5 hours and apparently tickets at the Troubadour are flying out the door.

Never rains, but it pours.....

24 hours after posting that handful of US dates, the lads have announced a handful of UK dates for the Autumn: -
October 2024
OCT 08 TUE  Nottingham, Rock City
OCT 09 WED  Cambridge Junction
OCT 11 FRI  London, O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire
OCT 16 WED  Manchester, GorillaCardinal Black
OCT 17 THU   Sheffield, Corporation
OCT 18 FRI   Birmingham, The Asylum
OCT 24 THU   Newcastle Upon Tyne, Boiler Shop

November 2024
NOV 08 FRI   Bath, Komedia

Not only; but they've dropped word that album #2 could well be released in time for these dates.

BansheeUK wrote:

Heads Up USA....

"We’re absolutely thrilled to announce our first transatlantic trip this Summer! We’ll be headlining Playing With Fire Festival in Omaha before playing headline shows at The Basement in Nashville and the legendary Troubadour in Los Angeles. America, it’s been a long time coming…

Tickets go on sale Friday 1st March 6pm UK/10am PT/11am CST"

07/13 - Playing With Fire; Omaha
07/15 - The Basement; Nashville  *SOLD OUT*
07/18 - Troubadour; Los Angeles

Edit: - don't know the size of the venue at Nashville, but apparently it sold out in 5 hours and apparently tickets at the Troubadour are flying out the door.

Just announced: Cardinal Black's Nashville gig has been moved to the Basement East venue due to the demand for tickets...