Re: My Next Concert (s)

ahsmith33 wrote:

Wow, I would love to see Jeff Beck again. I only got to see him once on the Who Else tour with Jennifer Batten, House of Blues in New Orleans and it was tremendous

Looks like my next one (if something doesn't come up before then) will be Kenny Wayne here in Birmingham on Sept 16. Luck is with us, it will be at the Alys Stephens Center which is a state of the art hall, the best sound you can get here in town

Been on my bucket list for decades..... Closest I've been was years ago, driving past a venue down country he was playing. Pre-Internet days, just wasn't able to take time off work to queue at our "home" venue for tickets. I got front and centre balcony seat, pre-Covid and it'll have to be prized out my cold, dead fingers before I give it up.

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

BansheeUK wrote:

22nd May - His Lordship (James Walbourne) @ Newcastle; Cluny

Update: - Looks like His Lordship is Postponed - new dates to follow...

Re-arranged to 10th July 2022....

Summerfest, Milwaukee, WI
July 1 - TYLER BRYANT AND THE SHAKEDOWN followed by Stone Temple Pilots
July 8 - Black Crowes

Bourbon & Beyond, Louisville, KY, Sept. 15-18
Jack White, Lukas Nelson & POTR, Kingfish, Eric Gales, Pearl Jam, Greta Van Fleet, Drive-By Truckers, Robert Randolph Band, Doobie Brothers, Marcus King, Mike Campbell & the Dirty Knobs and a bunch of others that I've either never heard of or don't really care about!

That about sums up the year for me. I'm the most excited to see TBSD again because they put on the best show! I'm skipping Joe's fall tour which normally would've had me at three shows. What we're saving in high ticket prices (it's only fun when you're down in front) and travel expenses will just about cover the whole trip to Louisville.

ROCK ON!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Bourbon & Beyond sounds like a lot of fun, but alas my legs and feet would never survive the whole thing. I would kill to see Marcus King, also Mike Campbell and his band, both still on my bucket list. Would be my 15th or 16th time to see Eric, it's always a great show

BarbieD wrote:

Summerfest, Milwaukee, WI
July 1 - TYLER BRYANT AND THE SHAKEDOWN followed by Stone Temple Pilots
July 8 - Black Crowes

Bourbon & Beyond, Louisville, KY, Sept. 15-18
Jack White, Lukas Nelson & POTR, Kingfish, Eric Gales, Pearl Jam, Greta Van Fleet, Drive-By Truckers, Robert Randolph Band, Doobie Brothers, Marcus King, Mike Campbell & the Dirty Knobs and a bunch of others that I've either never heard of or don't really care about!

That about sums up the year for me. I'm the most excited to see TBSD again because they put on the best show! I'm skipping Joe's fall tour which normally would've had me at three shows. What we're saving in high ticket prices (it's only fun when you're down in front) and travel expenses will just about cover the whole trip to Louisville.

ROCK ON!

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

2,129 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-06-03 07:24:05)

ahsmith33 wrote:

Wow, I would love to see Jeff Beck again. I only got to see him once on the Who Else tour with Jennifer Batten, House of Blues in New Orleans and it was tremendous

Gateshead Sage - 2nd June....

Well; that's a big off my "bucket list", even if I did have to wait a further 2 years for it to happen. What a tremendous evening though at a [long] sold-out Sage.

It's certainly been a long while since I've felt that almost electric tingle in a hall, the moment the house lights go down, just as the band take their positions and then the stage lights erupt as "the man" walks on. Opening number was Star Cycle, which has a bit more than the usual resonance in this corner of the UK as it was the theme tune for 1980s alt-rock (as you call it now) rock show that was broadcast from just the other side of the Tyne. Next eye-opener, or ear-opener was Jeff's working of Nadia before plunging back through the decades for a ripping cover of the old Link Wray standard The Rumble and a crowd pleasing Big Block

Should mention the band here, and they were absolutely superb in every way; Rhonda Smith – Bass, Vanessa Freebairn-Smith – Cello, Anika Nilles – Drums, Robert Adam Stevenson – Keyboards. The cello added a haunting undertow to the slower numbers, and the bass & drums were outstanding.

The next stage of what turned out to be an 80 minute set, saw Jeff accompanied on stage by resting actor and erstwhile Hollywood Vampire, Johnny Depp for several songs, kicking off with a new number, Heddy Lamar, before a series of covers. It was fun, from my vantage point in the balcony, looking down into the stalls; through the earlier part of the show, one or two phones were out while jeff was doing the more recognisable numbers but then, as Depp walked out, there was a phone out in more than every other seat. However, by Depp's third number they'd all but disappeared - a measure of how good a singer, or tired arms....? Where you stand after the Depp/Heard court case is up to you, but either way, to hear him trying tender love ballads did kind of rankle, but not as much as the way he murdered Let It Be Me; Rod Stewart he may not be, but this was more Shane McGowan. There were two highlights to this part of the set though, a thunderous, industrial take on Killing Joke's Death & Ressurection Show and the thrill of Jeff Beck's take on Little Wing: still got goose-bumps.

Can't help feeling that despite the "love-in" vibe between Beck & Depp, there must have been some little irony as Beck launched into 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers to close the main set, as Depp left the stage...

And so to encore; and what sounded like Corpus Christi Carol and A Day In The Life, which received a due, and one of the longest standing ovations I've seen at a gig for many a year,,,

No doubt, footage will be appearing on YouTube, but the set-list was something like:_
Star Cycle
You Know You Know (Mahavishnu Orchestra cover)
Stratus (Billy Cobham cover)
Nadia (Nitin Sawhney cover)
Rumble (Link Wray & His Raymen cover)
Mná na héireann (Ceoltóirí Chualann cover)
Big Block
Brush With the Blues
Heddy Lamar (with Johnny Depp)
Isolation (John Lennon cover) (with Johnny Depp)
Time (Dennis Wilson cover) (with Johnny Depp) think this was swapped for Let It Be Me..
What's Going On (Marvin Gaye cover) (with Johnny Depp)
Little Wing (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover) (with Johnny Depp)
The Death and Resurrection Show (Killing Joke cover) (with Johnny Depp)
'Cause We've Ended as Lovers (Stevie Wonder cover)

Encore:
A Day in the Life (The Beatles cover) (with Johnny Depp)

Definitely booked - Firekind / Loz Campbell @ Newcastle; Trillians - 4th July

tempted to sneak-in Martin Barre @ Stockton ARC, 23rd June,,,

BansheeUK wrote:

I think Martin Barre has cancelled his UK tour.

We have The Steepwater Band from Chicago next Friday in Aberdeen.

Kenny wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

I think Martin Barre has cancelled his UK tour.

We have The Steepwater Band from Chicago next Friday in Aberdeen.

Thanks Kenny....

Be hoped the Steepwater Band have a good tour bus and driver as they're playing Hartlepool the following night