Topic: John McGeoch - Biography

Not a name associated with the Blues, but nevertheless an influential guitarist in his day and with a unique sound which help sculpt bands like Siouxsie & The Banshees and beyond.

Out April 28.

The first ever biography about John McGeoch. Published by Omnibus Press.

We have been working hand-in-glove with Omnibus on this release and can ensure you that it is A-Grade. Gold-Medal-Standard. Top-Of-The-Tree.

The great and the good have fallen over themselves to contribute.
All of Magazine, Banshees Siouxsie & Severin, most of PiL, Jobson, LA-based punk rockers Billy Idol & Steve Jones, etc. etc.
If John played with them good words flowed.

Newer acolytes such as John Frusciante (Red Hot Chilli Peppers), Johnny Marr, Radioheaders Jonny Greenwood & Ed O’Brien likewise all fell in-line to salute.

This is the real deal.

The book is available in hardback (£20) and as a limited, hand-numbered, slipcase edition of 500 (£45) which includes:
1. A hardback copy signed by contributors Johnny Marr, Paul Morley, Rory Sullivan-Burke, Emily McGeoch, Dave Formula and Malcolm Garrett.
2. A 45rpm 7" vinyl record with complementary picture sleeve, featuring a previously unreleased live recording of 'The Light Pours Out Of Me’ by Magazine (from The Factory, Manchester, 1980) b/w 'The Anti-Hero’ by Dave Formula featuring John on guitar and voices.
3. One copy includes a ‘golden ticket’, which will win the lucky recipient a John McGeoch’s signature SG1000 guitar - worth over £800 - courtesy of Eastwood Guitars.

Order your copy right now. https://bit.ly/johnMcGeoch

You lucky, lucky people...

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: John McGeoch - Biography

Read any good books lately?
Currently I'm enjoying Rory Sullivan-Burke's The Light Pours Out of Me; the biography of [late] guitarist John McGeogh.
Now if that name isn't immediately familiar to you, then check out the first 3 albums by Magazine (well maybe Second-hand Daylight isn't as "essential" and Howard Devoto's vocals are a bit of an acquired taste), Visage's eponymous album, work with pre-USA Billy Idol & Generation X.
So far I'm up to what was probably McGeogh's best fit, the three albums he did with Siouxsie & The Banshees; so far I'm at the recording of the JuJu album. Re-listening to his work, what McGeogh could do with a Yamaha SC-1000, a Marshall stack and MXR 117 Flanger.....
An amazing guy, genuine renaissance guy, a true one-off and let's face it, if guys like Johnny Marr and John Frusciante regard him as "the guv'nor", who am I to disagree,
There is more to this story to follow, how and why McGeogh parted ways with music, his subsequent life and untimely passing.

Re: John McGeoch - Biography

Well, finished the book a couple of days ago.

left off just before McGeoch left The Banshees, seemingly under a cloud that was better explained in today's terms, Then he went into a sort of post-Punk supergroup that didn't achieve it's potential before eventually landing what should have been a plum job with John Lydon's (Johnny Rotten) PiL before demons and egos clashed as well as a horrendous incident on stage when McGeoch was struck in the face with a wine bottle.

A tremendous all-round artist but it was his overall intelligence as much as addiction demons which eventually McGeoch all but side-lined by managements and when a 2nd supergroup project failed to achieve notice and the newer trends in music meant that even session work dried up, he supported himself for several years as a psychiatric nurse and managed to part-way control his demons. However, the damage was done and he'd developed a type of epilepsy, a bout of which claimed his life in 2004 at the relatively young age of 48.

A tragic but well told story, the author set up the narrative but it is ultimately told by the people involved at the time, from all sides, so very well balanced; just a shame that of all collaborators with McGeoch, there was nothing forthcoming from John Lydon. Shame to think, had fortunes been better, McGeoch would probably be riding a well deserved career renaissance.