Re: My Next Concert (s)

BansheeUK wrote:

This one is a month or so away and I've got a couple other earlier dates squeezed in, but thought I'd better give this one a special shout.

The band is called His Lordship and is a collaboration between James Walbourne (The Pretenders, The Rails, The Pogues, amongst others) and drummer/vocalist Kris Sonne, (who has an equally impressive c.v.).

Curby and I have talked about James & his work in the past, and while he's hard to pin down to any one style, he can certainly pin back your ears (listen to any Pretenders album from the last decade...

They'll be touring a 6 track EP, His Lordship Plays Rock'n'Roll; Vol.1 "A one take collection of rock ‘n’ roll covers, which came together in one evening after a long day of recording original songs. Deciding to let loose, they kept the tape rolling and recorded a set of rock’n’roll tunes they love to play. They didn’t even rehearse them. The finished EP is a first take 15 minute set of Stuff They Like. Gene Vincent, Jack Scott, Link Wray and The Killer." But you can bet, if the vibe is there, it'll be a jumpin' night.

For the UK, the tour:-
MAY 18 - WED - Brighton, The Prince Albert
MAY 19 THU - Huddersfield, The Parish
MAY 22 SUN - Newcastle upon Tyne, The Cluny & The Cluny 2
MAY 23 MON - Manchester, Night & Day Cafe
MAY 24 TUE - London, 100 Club
MAY 25 WED - Guildford, The Boileroom
MAY 26 THU - Norwich, Voodoo Daddy's Rock 'n' Roll Pizza Joint and Showroom
MAY 27 FRI - Folkestone, The Chambers
MAY 28 SAT - Harlow, Burnt Mill Snooker & Social Club

JUN 17 - JUN 19 SUN Black Deer Festival 2022 James, Jake Bugg, Imelda May, Foy Vance, Shovels And Rope
Tunbridge Wells, Eridge Deer Park Estate

I've always liked James Walbourne.  Don't feel he's been give the props for his skill on guitar.  I listened to the three tracks BansheeUK posted for His Lordship and promptly got the album.
The songs very much remind me of Dave Edmunds and Buddy Holley.  The sound is quite raw and grungy with a nod toward Ty Segall.  A really good shout and I'm sure these guys will bring it to audiences on tour.

Possibly - Robert Jon & The Wreck @ Newcastle; Riverside - May 13th

Definitely - Curse of Lono @ Newcastle; Cluny - May 17th

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

woohoo, TMS tonight here in Birmingham, will report back accordingly

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

ahsmith33 wrote:

Have a good one....

BansheeUK wrote:
ahsmith33 wrote:

Have a good one....

Have fun Tres and enjoy their unbelievable talent.  What a great band live!  Can’t wait for your review…

2,112 (edited by ahsmith33 2022-05-06 08:33:14)

well I had to take yesterday off work because my legs and feet were so swollen, but it was very much worth it. They put on a tremendous show. I wish I had the setlist, but did remember a few of the highlights. I didn't recognize the first song, but then they went into Where Do We Go From Here, followed by Dr Funk, and the fourth song I think was Welcome Home ??? Max went off on this one, a lengthy and rousing solo it was. They then played a couple more that were very decent before doing an extended version of the Dead's Eyes of the World. This one primarily featured the bass player Rob Walker who soloed on it at the end, just amazing. Then they went into their tribute to P Funk and Eddie Hazel. I don't know the name of it but safe to say that Max was sizzling. After a couple more songs they played I'll Take Another, once again this was outstanding. I'm not sure what they ended with and didn't recognize the encore song. It was at least an hour and a half total and everybody there was very much into it. Apparently they have played Birmingham before. My legs are still sore from all the walking and standing when the picnic benches became too uncomfortable .......... all in all, still very much worth the pain to see them. If they come back I will be there for sure

I understand now why the keyboard guy is called Smiley. He had a grin on his face the entire concert

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:
ahsmith33 wrote:

Have a good one....

Have fun Tres and enjoy their unbelievable talent.  What a great band live!  Can’t wait for your review…

I saw Primus on their "Tribute to Kings" tour last night, in which set 2 was Rush's "Farewell to Kings" in its entirety. It was the best concert I've been to in a while. I haven't seen Primus since the early 90s, but they were great. It takes guts to cover Rush, let alone do an album song-for-song.  They nailed it (obviously nobody sounds like Geddy Lee but Les Claypool sang everything perfectly well with his own unique voice).  If you're a fan of Rush, I highly recommend seeing them.

2,114 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-05-15 07:43:57)

Robert Jon & The Wreck - Newcastle Riverside: 13th May 2022

So, tour was due last spring but got pushed back to the autumn, which did occur but at a time when I for one felt not quite ready for live shows. Still, patience has been rewarded and when a 2022 Spring Tour was announced and a gig at a venue barely a mile from the front door; well what are ya gonna do?

So, plenty of haze over the stage when the guys took to it; a building role on the drums and a guitar roar like a hungry predator, and we were off on a journey of modern Southern Rock; more a like a slow smoker of a bbq than flame-grilled, but delivered with knowing craft. Not greratly familiar with Robert Jon's body of work, so there was no overall "anthem" but the set was cleverly up and down, taking the 500 or so crowd on a journey.

Set list - She's a Fighter: Do You Remember: Hey Hey Mama: Oh Miss Carolina: Desert Sun: Everyday: Whiskey: Waiting for Your Man: Don't Let Me Go: Old Friend: Shine a Light on Me Brother: Cold Night:

Robert Jon may not be the best singer, but he knows how to play his voice and is a consummate band leader. However, there's a firecracker of a guitarist in Henry James Schneekluth who'd solos built to 90 miles an hour; at times the band, good as they were, seemed to be struggling to keep up with him. If there was a down, then it had toi be the keyboards, Steve Maggiora was doing great work but I think it was the gear borrowed for the tour, sounded very "thin" and shrill, probably to cut through the rest of the band. Great backline with Warren Murrell on bass and Andrew Espantman controlling things behind the drum kit.

All in all, a good night, but lacked the bite of old-school Southern rockers like Blackfoot. Sign of the times maybe?

Edit: Though there were plenty of phones in the eyeline, I can't find any video from the night, so here's some from other UK shows :-
Everyday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnEdjntybyk
Desert Sun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPpfdB-l63o
Old friend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmue7zgnuXw

PS - Fine showing too by Irish lass Laura Evans, accompanied by guitarist (missed the dude's name, sorry).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn_fmUIWSmI

2,115 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-05-19 03:17:44)

22nd May - His Lordship (James Walbourne) @ Newcastle; Cluny

Update: - Looks like His Lordship is Postponed - new dates to follow...

So, next concert -

2nd June - Jeff Beck @ Gateshead Sage  (already been postponed twice, so 3rd times the charm).

Wow, I would love to see Jeff Beck again. I only got to see him once on the Who Else tour with Jennifer Batten, House of Blues in New Orleans and it was tremendous

Looks like my next one (if something doesn't come up before then) will be Kenny Wayne here in Birmingham on Sept 16. Luck is with us, it will be at the Alys Stephens Center which is a state of the art hall, the best sound you can get here in town

ahsmith33 wrote:

Wow, I would love to see Jeff Beck again. I only got to see him once on the Who Else tour with Jennifer Batten, House of Blues in New Orleans and it was tremendous

Looks like my next one (if something doesn't come up before then) will be Kenny Wayne here in Birmingham on Sept 16. Luck is with us, it will be at the Alys Stephens Center which is a state of the art hall, the best sound you can get here in town

Been on my bucket list for decades..... Closest I've been was years ago, driving past a venue down country he was playing. Pre-Internet days, just wasn't able to take time off work to queue at our "home" venue for tickets. I got front and centre balcony seat, pre-Covid and it'll have to be prized out my cold, dead fingers before I give it up.

BansheeUK wrote:

22nd May - His Lordship (James Walbourne) @ Newcastle; Cluny

Update: - Looks like His Lordship is Postponed - new dates to follow...

Re-arranged to 10th July 2022....

Summerfest, Milwaukee, WI
July 1 - TYLER BRYANT AND THE SHAKEDOWN followed by Stone Temple Pilots
July 8 - Black Crowes

Bourbon & Beyond, Louisville, KY, Sept. 15-18
Jack White, Lukas Nelson & POTR, Kingfish, Eric Gales, Pearl Jam, Greta Van Fleet, Drive-By Truckers, Robert Randolph Band, Doobie Brothers, Marcus King, Mike Campbell & the Dirty Knobs and a bunch of others that I've either never heard of or don't really care about!

That about sums up the year for me. I'm the most excited to see TBSD again because they put on the best show! I'm skipping Joe's fall tour which normally would've had me at three shows. What we're saving in high ticket prices (it's only fun when you're down in front) and travel expenses will just about cover the whole trip to Louisville.

ROCK ON!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Bourbon & Beyond sounds like a lot of fun, but alas my legs and feet would never survive the whole thing. I would kill to see Marcus King, also Mike Campbell and his band, both still on my bucket list. Would be my 15th or 16th time to see Eric, it's always a great show

BarbieD wrote:

Summerfest, Milwaukee, WI
July 1 - TYLER BRYANT AND THE SHAKEDOWN followed by Stone Temple Pilots
July 8 - Black Crowes

Bourbon & Beyond, Louisville, KY, Sept. 15-18
Jack White, Lukas Nelson & POTR, Kingfish, Eric Gales, Pearl Jam, Greta Van Fleet, Drive-By Truckers, Robert Randolph Band, Doobie Brothers, Marcus King, Mike Campbell & the Dirty Knobs and a bunch of others that I've either never heard of or don't really care about!

That about sums up the year for me. I'm the most excited to see TBSD again because they put on the best show! I'm skipping Joe's fall tour which normally would've had me at three shows. What we're saving in high ticket prices (it's only fun when you're down in front) and travel expenses will just about cover the whole trip to Louisville.

ROCK ON!

2,121 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-06-03 07:24:05)

ahsmith33 wrote:

Gateshead Sage - 2nd June....

Well; that's a big off my "bucket list", even if I did have to wait a further 2 years for it to happen. What a tremendous evening though at a [long] sold-out Sage.

It's certainly been a long while since I've felt that almost electric tingle in a hall, the moment the house lights go down, just as the band take their positions and then the stage lights erupt as "the man" walks on. Opening number was Star Cycle, which has a bit more than the usual resonance in this corner of the UK as it was the theme tune for 1980s alt-rock (as you call it now) rock show that was broadcast from just the other side of the Tyne. Next eye-opener, or ear-opener was Jeff's working of Nadia before plunging back through the decades for a ripping cover of the old Link Wray standard The Rumble and a crowd pleasing Big Block

Should mention the band here, and they were absolutely superb in every way; Rhonda Smith – Bass, Vanessa Freebairn-Smith – Cello, Anika Nilles – Drums, Robert Adam Stevenson – Keyboards. The cello added a haunting undertow to the slower numbers, and the bass & drums were outstanding.

The next stage of what turned out to be an 80 minute set, saw Jeff accompanied on stage by resting actor and erstwhile Hollywood Vampire, Johnny Depp for several songs, kicking off with a new number, Heddy Lamar, before a series of covers. It was fun, from my vantage point in the balcony, looking down into the stalls; through the earlier part of the show, one or two phones were out while jeff was doing the more recognisable numbers but then, as Depp walked out, there was a phone out in more than every other seat. However, by Depp's third number they'd all but disappeared - a measure of how good a singer, or tired arms....? Where you stand after the Depp/Heard court case is up to you, but either way, to hear him trying tender love ballads did kind of rankle, but not as much as the way he murdered Let It Be Me; Rod Stewart he may not be, but this was more Shane McGowan. There were two highlights to this part of the set though, a thunderous, industrial take on Killing Joke's Death & Ressurection Show and the thrill of Jeff Beck's take on Little Wing: still got goose-bumps.

Can't help feeling that despite the "love-in" vibe between Beck & Depp, there must have been some little irony as Beck launched into 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers to close the main set, as Depp left the stage...

And so to encore; and what sounded like Corpus Christi Carol and A Day In The Life, which received a due, and one of the longest standing ovations I've seen at a gig for many a year,,,

No doubt, footage will be appearing on YouTube, but the set-list was something like:_
Star Cycle
You Know You Know (Mahavishnu Orchestra cover)
Stratus (Billy Cobham cover)
Nadia (Nitin Sawhney cover)
Rumble (Link Wray & His Raymen cover)
Mná na héireann (Ceoltóirí Chualann cover)
Big Block
Brush With the Blues
Heddy Lamar (with Johnny Depp)
Isolation (John Lennon cover) (with Johnny Depp)
Time (Dennis Wilson cover) (with Johnny Depp) think this was swapped for Let It Be Me..
What's Going On (Marvin Gaye cover) (with Johnny Depp)
Little Wing (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover) (with Johnny Depp)
The Death and Resurrection Show (Killing Joke cover) (with Johnny Depp)
'Cause We've Ended as Lovers (Stevie Wonder cover)

Encore:
A Day in the Life (The Beatles cover) (with Johnny Depp)

Definitely booked - Firekind / Loz Campbell @ Newcastle; Trillians - 4th July

tempted to sneak-in Martin Barre @ Stockton ARC, 23rd June,,,

BansheeUK wrote:

I think Martin Barre has cancelled his UK tour.

We have The Steepwater Band from Chicago next Friday in Aberdeen.

Kenny wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

I think Martin Barre has cancelled his UK tour.

We have The Steepwater Band from Chicago next Friday in Aberdeen.

Thanks Kenny....

Be hoped the Steepwater Band have a good tour bus and driver as they're playing Hartlepool the following night