Topic: December 4, 2021 Baltimore, MD Modell Performing Arts Center - Lyric

Getting so excited for this show. Have only been to one other show since getting off the Joe cruise 2020.

Still not ideal circumstances by any means but will be glad for the show!
I won't die if he doesn't play Pain and Sorrow but I sure am hoping for it!!!

Champagne Jane and Sorrow - till I find another way!!! ♥♥♥

I'll do my best with a review ......

Re: December 4, 2021 Baltimore, MD Modell Performing Arts Center - Lyric

Cathy Siler andI were walking into venue...saw Josh Smith..said hi  got pic! Then i said oh do we get an 18 min Pain and Sorrow tonite? Lol..
He sez Joe took it out of setlist for tonige! Sob!

Back at home....more later but wanted to update they DID play Pain and sorrow great show.

Jane H. wrote:

Back at home....more later but wanted to update they DID play Pain and sorrow great show.

Jane!!!! It is marvelous and heart warming how Joe is always acknowledging you in the audience! Love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTOrbb8R8nY

5 (edited by Jane H. 2021-12-05 09:59:55)

Thanks. There's a little more to the story.
We had both been looking forward to Pain and Sorrow....Cathy had never actually heard it live in person and I have been begging...
So we see Josh while walking in to venue. He was kind to talk to us and let us get a picture. I asked him if we were going to get an 18 min long Pain and Sorrow....to  our complete shock he replied that Joe had taken it out of the setlist for the night. He was surprised since they had been playing it every night....he didn't know why but Joe said he wanted to switch up the set...We were all like oh nooooooooo!!!! We then called on the spirit of Amsterhammer for help smile
so then before the show, I was out in the lobby but Cathy was already seated and saw Joe out a guitar in the rack on stage and she shouted out for the song.
Then when they played it we were estatic, and it was excellent!
Then he did his talk portion and I think he intended for Cathy to stand up but she didn't so I did and took the glory. I feel bad about that but Cathy is cool with it big_smile
We had a number of folks thank us for asking for it after the show big_smile
Anne (addysea)'s son captured the vid and they tried to get a look at the actual setlist on stage but weren't able to.

Ive got to get some work done but i did take some notes during the show and will post more later.

Thanks Joe and Josh big_smile and Cathy, always a great time. Great to sit next to Sally , see Anne, her son, Bmore Bonamaniac and his Mom and some other local friends smile

>>>>Not to start a debate (i'll edit  it out if it goes there...) BUT I was personally quite upset and disappointed that what looked like a large majority of the audience did not keep their masks on during the show. It was supposed to be required. You can remove to eat or drink and many were drinking but it seemed to me most just chose to remove them and the venue didn't enforce or even remind...you could see they had signs I imagine they were supposed to hold up to remind people to mask. Again not to start debate on the issue but i bring it up for anyone going to a future show, to not rely on this requirement if its stated by venue. hmm

Here is the link to Joe talking about Pain and Sorrow -

Cathy Siler and Jane Hall made every fan in Baltimore happy last night on 12/4/2021 by keeping Pain and Sorrow in the setlist!

Joe Bonamassa explained how it happened and Dean Schleicher captured it.

Joe starts by saying that "two young ladies" saw Josh Smith outside The Lyric Theater before the concert.

The person Joe heard calling for Pain and Sorrow was Cathy, and even though Jane stood up, it was a team effort by both Jane and Cathy to let Joe know that his most devoted fans are so appreciative of the rare and wonderful treat to hear P & S on this tour!  Thank you, Joe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTOrbb8 … Schleicher

I have to be honest. I had no idea who Joe Bonamassa was until I ended up late at night watching MPT and Joe belt out Oh Pretty Woman about 3 months ago.
Been hooked ever since. Went to the Lyric Saturday night.
Joe Bonamassa, YOU ROCK!
Sorry it took me so long.

Welcome to the forum...and its never too late to discover Joe. smile
I still have more to say about the show but its off to work I go right now...

That’s a great story Jane.
Joe will probably be inundated with requests now.
Sorry to hear not everyone followed the covid restrictions.

Lester

Great story Jane and thank video is very cool!

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

I still intend to add more details...so glad i did go to this show for so many reasons.
Still curious why Joe picked this date to take pain and Sorrow out of the set...
While talking to Lizzee about it, she remembered, I think she said back when Joe was playing it for Tour De Force or some other time in recent years he was playing it in Europe I think....that Paulie had commented to reply to someone's question on facebook or something, that actually it is a difficult song to perform night after night because of the vocals. I would not have imagined that but it makes sense.
Anyway my notes from the show don't say much except scribbles about the colors of the guitars lol. I don't know much more specifics on them

oh and also I did realize after the show...looking up setlists before and after the date, that he left out Sloe Gin and if some of the folks at the show knew Joe left out Sloe Gin to play Pain and Sorrow, I might not have heard folks thanking us that Joe played Pain and Sorow, I may have gotten grief for lack of Sloe Gin. I think he played Mountain Time in place of Sloe Gin really, then shows after had Mountain Time instead of pain and Sorrow.

IIRC Joe said that Mountain Time was his Mom's favorite of his or maybe that in her opinion, it was his best song.
I would have a hard time arguing against that. big_smile