325 (edited by pappy17 2018-03-16 21:49:48)

Re: To all the Newbies

Thank you kind folks for the  welcome!!!
Ben addicted to Joe for 10 years:) Lately my poison has been The Carnegie acoustic dvd & cd set!!
Waiting for announcements for the Fall 2018 tour!! Pretty sure he's coming back to Ohio!!
some day, way down the road, people will be saying they wished they had the opportunity to see Bonamassa Live!!
Glad to say I did!!
Best to all, pappy

Hi and welcome to you both. Enjoy a great and friendly forum. Also all things Joe. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Update on the Fall 2018 Tour, We were lucky to find some front row seats for The November 7 show here in Columbus, Ohio!!
Not wishing for Winter to get here too soon, but c-mon November!!
Have been listening to "Redemption" continually for the past 2 weeks:) Wondering if they'll open up with "Evil Mama"? I also hope he does "Stronger Now in Broken Places."
Anyhows, wishing everyone the Best!!
Go Joe, Go!!

pappy17 wrote:

Thank you kind folks for the  welcome!!!
Ben addicted to Joe for 10 years:) Lately my poison has been The Carnegie acoustic dvd & cd set!!
Waiting for announcements for the Fall 2018 tour!! Pretty sure he's coming back to Ohio!!
some day, way down the road, people will be saying they wished they had the opportunity to see Bonamassa Live!!
Glad to say I did!!
Best to all, pappy

Hi all, I'm Mike from Netherlands.
I'm a decent guitarist who's been playing for about 10 years, mostly "jam band" style. I can "get by" in many different styles like blues, funk, and country but to me there is a big difference between playing a GREAT solo in a blues context, and playing a GREAT BLUES solo. In my beginning days I read many a book/article and watched many a video about blues guitar, learned 12 bar blues, other structures, pentatonics, blue notes, call and response, shuffles, all the stuff everyone knows makes blues blues. But I want to take my blues to the next level, I want my melodies to participate in the language and long history of this style. I can play really "bluesy" licks but they don't feel truly authentic. What I'm looking for is a resource, a book or video series or something, that will introduce me to some of these licks that have been passed down and altered through the years. I know the most legit way of doing this is by learning actual blues songs by ear but I don't feel like I'm yet immersed enough into the tradition to really know what songs are the most useful to learn. All help is super appreciated

asclermike wrote:

Hi all, I'm Mike from Netherlands.
I'm a decent guitarist who's been playing for about 10 years, mostly "jam band" style. I can "get by" in many different styles like blues, funk, and country but to me there is a big difference between playing a GREAT solo in a blues context, and playing a GREAT BLUES solo. In my beginning days I read many a book/article and watched many a video about blues guitar, learned 12 bar blues, other structures, pentatonics, blue notes, call and response, shuffles, all the stuff everyone knows makes blues blues. But I want to take my blues to the next level, I want my melodies to participate in the language and long history of this style. I can play really "bluesy" licks but they don't feel truly authentic. What I'm looking for is a resource, a book or video series or something, that will introduce me to some of these licks that have been passed down and altered through the years. I know the most legit way of doing this is by learning actual blues songs by ear but I don't feel like I'm yet immersed enough into the tradition to really know what songs are the most useful to learn. All help is super appreciated

Hi Mike: I'm  wondering why there hasn't been an avalanche of folk say "watch any of Joe B's performances"... and I'm  not sure if Joe hasn't any tutorial clips out there on YouTube or FaceBook like most other artists. I'm not sure what direction you  want to take your Blues, rock it up a bit, light jazz or rootsy, I guess that's up to you to  find your best fit... I know Matt Schofield and Aynsley  Lister both have some solid tutorials out there, or you  could try this guy - I've heard he's a bit good...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrM66h2dTWY

Anyway, good luck...

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

I don't know how I missed out on this board.  I was on Aynsley Lister's message board (still am) and posted there a lot, they are shutting that forum down soon, and Aynsley's wife told me about this board so I joined on up.  Glad to be here and hopefully get to talk about some great music with all of you.

Go Raiders, JUST WIN BABY!
Fight ON USC TROJANS!

Hello, all.

I just watched a video of Joe at 12 years old playing an opening for B.B. King, truly amazing. I have only recently started to listen to Joe's music and I like it. I became aware when I started looking into making my own 5F8A clone and Joe seems to be someone who has become an "expert" of sorts on this amp to say the least.

I have 4 kids, 16yo, 13yo, 8yo, 6yo, and during Covid I got back into playing guitar to see if any of them would pick up the interest in music. Well, they did. All of them. lol.

I joined this board mostly looking for information about the '59 Twin-Amp JB Edition. I have looked online for pictures of the inside or a schematic or a layout and have not found very good clear info. A service manual like the Bassman reissue has would be awesome. I have found many pictures of original '59s and mostly understand how it was made but is different from the published schematics of course. I am hoping to update the original design of the circuit with modern day safety in mind and I would think the JB Edition would have that. If for a multitude of reasons this info is not allowed to be made public then i understand.

Anyway, making the amp is another project I am trying to do with my kids to try teach them to make things with there hands.
Should be fun.

Thanks for the add.

@airistubolis welcome, 
Wow all 4 playing guitar, nice.
You won't find much info here on amp building,  sadly Joe hasn't been around since 2012 on the forum.
And I'm pretty much thd only person here left that has built amps and I'm not much of an expert on it.
Joe usually has has his stuff "cloned" then when he doesn't hear what he wants , they'll twink a bit till he hears what he likes
Doesn't matter if it's his Seymour pickups or the High powered Tweeds

There are many amp building sites, that will have good resources
Invest in good meter, a discharge probe as cap's don't discharge and will kill you, and wooden chopsticks

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I'm a newbie!