Topic: Music Filled Weekend

Well, I had a quite the music filled weekend. Here's what happened:

Well, we took a little trip this weekend to Tennessee & Alabama. Flew into Nashville,TN on Friday and rented a car and drove to Savannah, TN where our hotel was. Then drove to Counce, just up the road to a place called Freddie T's and saw a guy named Dustin Lee Martin, who we've been watching do some livestreams on facebook since the pandemic started. My mom & her friend Diana had already gone to see him there in April, so he remembered them. And he recognized me from Facebook. There were a few other people watching as well, but they didn't stay the whole show, so it was almost a show just for the 3 of us in there, but he still played like it was a full crowd. He plays mostly country, but he also threw in a few rock tunes as well. Original and cover songs. Talked to him a bit after the show and he's a real nice guy. On saturday, we drove to Huntsville, ALA, but stopped in Muscle Shoals on the way and did a tour of the studios there. Alot of people have recorded there including the Rolling Stones, Bob Seger, Cher, Linda Ronstadt, Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Steve Winwood, and many more!! We saw the Piano that Lynyrd Skynyrd's song Freebird was played on!!!! We drove on to Huntsville after that and went to a place called Sidetracks. and saw several bands who were playing, and none of them had played in front of a crowd since this pandemic started. They were Jive Mother Mary, Magnolia Bayou, Them Dirty Roses, Taylor Hunnicutt, and Ben Lewis. We saw Jive Mother Mary on that cruise last year and they kicked **** then and saturday night as well!! You could tell that all the bands were happy to be playing again!! Before the show started, we were sitting outside waiting to get in, and this guy walked up to us and noticed that I had my Southern Rock Cruise shirt on, and pointed out that he was on the cruise as well. He asked if we were familiar with Preacher Stone, and we were since they'd been on the cruise and are awesome. Well, it turns out that this guy's wife is one of the organizers of the cruise, so they know alot of the bands personally. He was able to get the Preacher Stone guitarist  on the phone, and we got to Facetime with him for a few minutes!!  After that show was done, we left the next morning and went back to Nashville. Before we had to go back to the airport, we walked around downtown Nashville a little bit. Went up & down down Broadway, which is where alot of clubs & shops are. Went into a record shop which was really cool. Plenty of Records, CDS, DVD, books, Memorabilia, etc. Also saw the Ryman Auditorium, which is where the Grand Ole Opry started, and plenty of shows are held there. Joe Bonamassa  played there not too long ago. It was a fun little trip!! Got back home late on sunday.

Re: Music Filled Weekend

That's pretty cool, glad you had a good time.  When I lived in Chicago (20 years ago) my wife and I used to drive to Nashville for long weekend, music conferences, etc.  It's a great town to visit.   Awesome you got to visit Muscle Shoals area as well.  I'm in FL now so it's on my list as we get to Georgia every so often.  That and the ABB Big House.

3 (edited by ahsmith33 2020-10-08 11:00:43)

the trip sounds like a great time was had by all. I think you are in the Atlanta area ? I am in Birmingham, born and raised in Alabama and yet never have made the time to visit Muscle Shoals, shame on me. Muscle Shoals Sound has been a great influence over the years, Mike Harrison of Spooky Tooth and Duane Allman also recorded there
Next time if there is one you need to check out The Caverns at Pelham TN, music in a cave. It is a wonderful venue if you can tolerate the slight chill, they have country and bluegrass bands that play regularly, some well known. Son and I went there to see Walter Trout and Eric Gales, they put on quite the show  .................. thanks for sharing this, I'm all for the musical road trip every now and again

www.thecaverns.com

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

ahsmith33 wrote:

the trip sounds like a great time was had by all. I think you are in the Atlanta area ? I am in Birmingham, born and raised in Alabama and yet never have made the time to visit Muscle Shoals, shame on me. Muscle Shoals Sound has been a great influence over the years, Mike Harrison of Spooky Tooth and Duane Allman also recorded there
Next time if there is one you need to check out The Caverns at Pelham TN, music in a cave. It is a wonderful venue if you can tolerate the slight chill, they have country and bluegrass bands that play regularly, some well known. Son and I went there to see Walter Trout and Eric Gales, they put on quite the show  .................. thanks for sharing this, I'm all for the musical road trip every now and again

www.thecaverns.com

I don't live in Atlanta. I live in Dallas, TX and we flew into Nashville, then drove to see the shows. But I would love to go to Atlanta and check out Capricorn Studios, The Big House Museum, etc.

5 (edited by Cumberland Caverns 2021-10-19 04:41:28)

This is cool but next time if you want to explore more visit Cumberland caverns . The individual who have never experienced a concert in a cave, Cumberland caverns provide an atmosphere, ambiance, and incredible acoustics make a underground live music events very exciting. We organize different music events in Caverns Chattanooga in Tennessee

Cumberland Caverns wrote:

This is cool but next time if you want to explore more visit Cumberland caverns . The individual who have never experienced a concert in a cave, Cumberland caverns provide an atmosphere, ambiance, and incredible acoustics make a underground live music events very exciting. We organize different music events in Caverns Chattanooga in Tennessee

Is that the cavern Vince Gill did a concern DVD in? I remember watching that... now that I think about it, it might have been a show with lots of different artists, but I distinclty remember him playing.