1 (edited by BansheeUK 2020-07-17 12:39:51)

Topic: Post-Covid Venue Closures

Well, here we go....

Announced today, Manchester's Deaf Institute and Gorilla as well as Hull's The Welly and Polar Bear are closing for good. Meanwhile, Durham's Gala Theatre have decided to close for the rest of 2020 for renovation and repair work.

Also heard that Sheffield's Leadmill is on a knife-edge (sorry for the pun).

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Post-Covid Venue Closures

Shame. I liked the Deaf Institute.
Be a shame if the Leadmill disappeared too. The world would be a better place if Sheffield disappeared but its venues were left standing!

Tip of the iceberg unfortunately.
I have sympathy for the staff who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

Lester

Careful there are people on here from Sheffield. sad

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

It looks as if Manchester’s Deaf Institute and Gorilla venues have a stay of execution as a new investor group and Charlatans’ Tim Burgess have swooped in.

Other news though, after a 34 year run, it looks like the next edition of Q magazine (July 28th) will be their last. Since 2000, readership has dropped an alarming 85% (to 28,000) and Covid-19 has been the last straw.

See The Horn at St Albans got a £30,000 lifeline the other week through a crowdfunding scheme supported by singer Paul Young.

2020 was to be the swan-song season possibly the oldest running (appro 40 years young) Blues Clubs in my radius, Redcar. However, you can guess what happened to 2020's line-up of gigs after the first couple of months of the year.

Then, with the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, they decided to have a final blow-out on the 19th Sept with one  of the top Pink Floyd tribute bands, Shine On. (And if you're wondering what  Pink Floyd has to do with a Blues Club, check the name origins...)

Anyway, the evening has now been cancelled, due to guess what.... and it ain't Chicken Pox.

Don't know if they'll try again to have a farewell do, but a sad loss to a club which to my shame,  I didn't visit often enough.