1 (edited by RickB 2020-05-08 19:31:59)

Topic: Any positives in stir?

Time on my hands is my theme song.
I got a major eyesore out of the wife’s mind and upgraded my little vegetable patch.
There was a pile of concrete blocks of 3 sizes left over from old projects in the back yard so I measured and came up with a plan.
2 weeks of hard labor and a few more blocks had a 16 X 5 foot raised bed veggie garden and no pile of blocks. I was a mason’s helper in my youth so knew how, and why I didn’t choose that career path. Yep, sore as can be.
My tomatoes, peppers and cukes never looked so good.
Rick

Edit, a big plus has been the local commercial fishermen. With the restaurants all closed, they’ve had a tough time selling their catch. A group got together and started selling fresh fish direct to the consumer right off the boat. Sashimi grade tuna delivered to your door at $10/lb? You betcha! Crab boil feast for 2, $27. We got 2 and there were 9 local rock crabs, spicy sausages, corn and potatoes all cooked and spiced up.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

2 (edited by ahsmith33 2020-05-11 10:53:44)

Re: Any positives in stir?

Good job Rick, I would take some dem maters off your hands if I was out that way. No garden for me but I can go in Andys Farm Market with a mask. I am still recovering from heart surgery, back at work by the hardest but it's good to be back and still have a job. Other than that I have a bum left knee that will need orthopedic attention, and gout in my right foot that is also quite painful.
It is good to be above ground, the point is that we all have some things to be thankful for, I was able to cook up a 15 bean stew yesterday in spite of the pain.
Like Rick is saying, let's focus on the positives in our life

Another good thing I think is that some people are learning to cook, bravo for you cause recipes are everywhere online. Have you seen restaurant to-go prices ? and do you trust them ? I'm not paying any of those prices ......... my mom and dad and ex wife taught me to cook up a storm, this is a huge positive for both stomach and bank account

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

3 (edited by Jane H. 2020-05-12 14:35:05)

edited by Jane H.
In response to your post here that I just removed...it would take a bit more to get banned but it did somewhat violate one of the very few rules we have here - no politics. Its just something we don't discuss here. I've also edited your signature line so we don't ruin this one refuge...need you here ….hope it is OK with you...I rarely edit this way.
I understand the need to speak out and I know this is the only place online some of us post...but otherwise if you are on facebook...I think there is a thread around here where you can post your page link. maybe you can get some folks paying attention there. To keep the peace here, it would be appreciated if you keep contributing but not stir the pot.
I actually believe we have some of the world's smartest amongst us here and can fix a lot of problems together, but this isn't the place. Thanks Jane

It's OK, I understand and suppose I knew it would be like this. I will hang around for now, but I continue to stew over the entire Covid mess

ahsmith33 wrote:

edited by Jane H.
In response to your post here that I just removed...it would take a bit more to get banned but it did somewhat violate one of the very few rules we have here - no politics. Its just something we don't discuss here. I've also edited your signature line so we don't ruin this one refuge...need you here ….hope it is OK with you...I rarely edit this way.
I understand the need to speak out and I know this is the only place online some of us post...but otherwise if you are on facebook...I think there is a thread around here where you can post your page link. maybe you can get some folks paying attention there. To keep the peace here, it would be appreciated if you keep contributing but not stir the pot.
I actually believe we have some of the world's smartest amongst us here and can fix a lot of problems together, but this isn't the place. Thanks Jane

A good, long break from any Harry & Megan news stories.....

Good practice for retirement - at least we've found out at home we can put up with each other all day for more than 10 weeks.

Found out after 4 weeks of furlough that there are some jobs in the work place that are independent of Microsoft and that nearly 40 years of employment are not entirely wasted like a Golgafrincham 2nd space shipper…. (Read your Douglas Adams - Hitch Hiker's Guide...)

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

6 (edited by ahsmith33 2020-06-04 09:37:48)

Yeah, my son showed me a picture just this past Saturday of Joe and Eric Gales IN STUDIO together !!! I can't wait for it, this should be really good folks.

I will tell you a funny story from 2008 / 2009 when son and I went to Memphis to visit and help Eric with his website. Friday night after he played the national anthem at Fedx Forum for the Grizzlies basketball game, we all went back to our motel room to hang out and shoot the **## and have a few beers. I remember we told Eric about posting different stuff on Joe Bs site and Eric honestly did not know in the least who he was. Well, I got to running my mouth and told Eric that I really liked his voice but that JB couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. I can't repeat what Eric said to me but I sincerely thought he was going to come at me and whip my arse right then and there. I learned that he doesn't care for anyone saying something bad about another artist. At that very moment in that motel room I envisioned them getting together at some point down the road, now some 12 years later this has come to fruition.

and I think I should qualify that since 2008 / 2009 Joe has improved his singing greatly, kinda like what Eric Clapton went through before he found his voice

Still gathering new recipes and avoiding restaurants or their takeout like the plague (sorry, no pun intended). I really feel bad for folks that cannot cook or don't have time to cook. Other than the regular 40 hour work week I have plenty of time to research recipes and cook something new. So instead of wasting money on takeout food I found a place in Kentucky that sells some great American Wagyu beef, Black Hawk Farms. Family owned and operated since 2013 when they decided to switch to the hybrid Wagyu. I am not advertising for them but I really like beef and so many other sites like Snake River are very expensive and seems like always out of certain items.
So on Saturday I made the $18 meatloaf with 2 pounds of their ground Wagyu. My son really isn't big on meatloaf of any kind, he turned his nose up until he stuck a piece in his mouth. I kept it very simple not wanting to overpower the flavor of the meat, went with some fresh garlic, roasted red pepper, and a little fresh jalapeno along with some other seasonings, a few ritz crackers and one egg for binder. You could use all sorts of other stuff in it if you wanted. I noticed my son was back into the leftovers yesterday making a meatloaf sammich, that didn't take long.
So we just received another shipment last week and next up tomorrow night is the inside skirt steak with flour tortillas and black beans and who knows what else.
Take care all, protect yourself at all times, don't give in to the no mask theory expounded by many. Get to cooking and it will be time and money well spent, and a decent diversion to all of the shart going on.

ahsmith33 wrote:

Still gathering new recipes and avoiding restaurants or their takeout like the plague (sorry, no pun intended). I really feel bad for folks that cannot cook or don't have time to cook. Other than the regular 40 hour work week I have plenty of time to research recipes and cook something new. So instead of wasting money on takeout food I found a place in Kentucky that sells some great American Wagyu beef, Black Hawk Farms. Family owned and operated since 2013 when they decided to switch to the hybrid Wagyu. I am not advertising for them but I really like beef and so many other sites like Snake River are very expensive and seems like always out of certain items.
So on Saturday I made the $18 meatloaf with 2 pounds of their ground Wagyu. My son really isn't big on meatloaf of any kind, he turned his nose up until he stuck a piece in his mouth. I kept it very simple not wanting to overpower the flavor of the meat, went with some fresh garlic, roasted red pepper, and a little fresh jalapeno along with some other seasonings, a few ritz crackers and one egg for binder. You could use all sorts of other stuff in it if you wanted. I noticed my son was back into the leftovers yesterday making a meatloaf sammich, that didn't take long.
So we just received another shipment last week and next up tomorrow night is the inside skirt steak with flour tortillas and black beans and who knows what else.
Take care all, protect yourself at all times, don't give in to the no mask theory expounded by many. Get to cooking and it will be time and money well spent, and a decent diversion to all of the shart going on.

You’re killing me! The wife caters to our son who won't eat red meat. I sneak a solo steak in every once in a while when tofu is served.

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Sorry Rick I didn't see this before. Yeah I'm too old to start that vegan diet but I appreciate that it's healthier. Not big on tofu however it's pretty good if stir fried and spicy. Hang in there, down a steak when you can work it in

10 (edited by ahsmith33 2020-09-23 12:32:15)

Just got moved in to a new house and now I have a larger kitchen to work with. I did the pork butt thing this past Sunday, not complicated at all but did require smoking for 5 hours and then 3 more hours in the oven. So I found this cookbook today called Chasing the Gator by chef Isaac Toups who was an Emeril Lagasse understudy for some time. I will attempt to reproduce some of his Cajun recipes, the list is simply astounding and a lot of them are things I never heard of. He has a site to buy it online but I found it on Ebay for about 16 bucks plus a small shipping fee .............. seafood gumbo is right around the corner, I can smell it already

ahsmith33 wrote:

Just got moved in to a new house and now I have a larger kitchen to work with. I did the pork butt thing this past Sunday, not complicated at all but did require smoking for 5 hours and then 3 more hours in the oven. So I found this cookbook today called Chasing the Gator by chef Isaac Toups who was an Emeril Lagasse understudy for some time. I will attempt to reproduce some of his Cajun recipes, the list is simply astounding and a lot of them are things I never heard of. He has a site to buy it online but I found it on Ebay for about 16 bucks plus a small shipping fee .............. seafood gumbo is right around the corner, I can smell it already

I’ll look it up. I’m going to smoke some tuna and yellowtail bellies I got on my recent 6 day charter to Baja. Gumbo sounds good!