Re: R.I.P. Thread

thanks for that Joybird
Sadly another Bonabuddy has passed. I didn't know her as well but enjoyed sharing Joe posts on FB with her. RIP Linda Chastain Terry

776 (edited by ahsmith33 2020-06-30 13:08:20)

RIP Carl Reiner, one of the great comedians of our time, age 98 so he didn't get cheated any years. I just watched a wonderful one hour interview on AXS I think, not sure, with Dan Rather, he and his son Rob. It was real, it was funny, he was funny still. I learned a lot about his early days that I didn't know

I remember pi R Squared in math class ............. wait, I know for sure Junior Sample told Grandpa "Pie are round, Cornbread are square"

A sad day.  Peter Green has passed away, quietly...  He left his mark for sure. 

Rock ON and Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I think a lot of blues players, including Joe, must be grateful for the Peter Green influence.

Lester

Martin Birch - Dec 1948 - 9th Aug 2020 R.I.P.
As record producer Martin Birch should be considered as a principle architect for the UK’s Hard Rock / Heavy Metal sound through the 1970s and 1980s.
Birch cut his teeth as audio engineer in the tailof of the 1960s working with the likes of Jeff Beck (Beck-ola), Fleetwood Mac (Then Play On - Mystery To Me) and Deep Purple with whom he’d enjoy a long association including the spin-off bands though he’ll probably be best associated with his work with Iron Maiden for who he produced 10 albums from their debut Killers to 1992’s Fear of The Dark, after which he retired.
The association with Deep Purple started in 1969 when he engineered the Concerto album, a role he kept to the Burn album then graduated to co-producer for Stormbringer, Come Taste The Band & Last Concert in Japan. In that association, he engineered/produced 2 albums for Jon Lord, 1 for Roger Glover (Elements); the first 4 albums for Rainbow plus the Final Vinyl collection as well as all the Whitesnake albums from 1978’s Snakebite to 1984’s Slide It In.
Other bands worked with, 3 1970’s “Classic” albums as engineer for Wishbone Ash;  2 Black Sabbath albums featuring Ronnie Dio (Heaven & Hell + Mob Rules) and 2 Blue Oyster Cult from the same period - Cultosaurus Erectus + Fire of Unknown Origin.
Other artists include Gary Moore (Grinding Stone); Cozy Powell (Over The Top), Michael Schenker Group (Assault Attack); Wayne County(Storm The Gates of Heaven)

Peter Frederick “Pete” Way - Aug 1951 - 14th Aug 2020 R.I.P.
If anyone rightfully earned the title “Wildman of Rock” then it was UFO’s long-serving bassist Pete Way. Too wild even for Ozzy Osbourne who he joined with briefly after leaving UFO in 1982 and before founding his own group Waysted and a brief alliance with former Motorhead guitar slinger “Fasr Eddie” Clarke, the Zeppelin-esque Fastway.
Pete Way died aged 69 after suffering ‘life threatening’ injuries from an accident two months earlier. Pete’s keen ear for song arrangements have also seen him serve as producer for popular hard rock acts such as Twisted Sister and the Cockney Rejects. Pete had recently finished a solo album, “Walking On The Edge” with producer Mike Clink (Guns n Roses “Appetite For Destruction” amongst many more.) He had a biography published “A Fast Ride Out Of Here” in 2017 and an album “Amphetamine” which is currently out on Cargo Records.
So, following Paul Raymond last Spring & Tonka Chapman back in June, no doubt now Phil Mogg & Michael Schenker (+ drummer Andy Parker) will be watching for the dark shadow following them… 
For Pete - Lights Out….  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aatjerFCRP8

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Rest In Peace, Frankie Banali. sad

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

sad  RIP
https://youtu.be/JA_sr1UyfD8

Rocket wrote:

Rest In Peace, Frankie Banali. sad

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

R.I.P.  Mrs Emma Peel….Countess Teresa di Vicenzo ….Olenna Tyrell

Dame Diana Rigg - 20th July 1938 - 10th September 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt_BCLtLZfw

783 (edited by BansheeUK 2020-09-23 05:25:21)

Lee “The Bear” Kerslake -  April 1947 - 19th Sept. 2020 R.I.P.

Sadly, yesterday, Lee Kerslake lost his fight against prostate cancer though he had been “semi-retired” from the Uriah Heep drum stool since 2007 due to other medical conditions.

Kerslake had been Uriah Heep’s drummer from 1971, appearing first on their Demons & Wizards album, right through to Firefly. He started his career in the bands Gods, Toe fat and National Head Band before the Uriah Heep gig.

Notably in the early 1980, Kerslake, along with bassist Bob Daisley were the power backline behind Ozzy Osbourne’s mighty reinvention as a solo artist, post-Black Sabbath. Kerslake played on both Blizzard of Ozz & Diary of a Madman: though not credited on the latter, however Tommy Aldridge acknowledged Kerslake’s playing. Though it should have been, this turned out not to be a happy era for Kerslake or Daisley who later sued for writing credits and royalties from Sharon Osbourne.

In 1983, Kerslake re-joined Uriah Heep for their pivotal Abominog album and recorded and performed for a further 6 studio albums before stepping down in 2007. In 2003, Kerslake became involved in ‘super group’ Living Loud, a hard rock project also featuring bassist Bob Daisley, guitarist Steve Morse and singer Jimmy Barnes. Keyboardist Don Airey made a guest appearance. The group released a debut self-titled CD, featuring covers of several Daisley/Kerslake penned Ozzy Osbourne tracks.

In December 2018, Kerslake revealed that he was battling prostate cancer, saying that “the doctor gave me about eight months to live”. He further stated that five years previously, he had been given four years to live. Kerslake’s further health complications include psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis and two heart murmurs. Kerslake revealed that it was his final wish to receive the platinum album certifications for the Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman albums that he had worked on, and Osbourne granted that wish. Kerslake wrote a letter to Osbourne, informing him of his ill-health and desire to receive the records. Kerslake subsequently received his platinum plaques.On 14 December 2018, Kerslake joined Uriah Heep onstage at the Shepherds Bush Empire, contributing percussion and vocals to “Lady in Black”

A shame to see Lee Kerslake getting such shabby treatment from the Osbournes (probably Sharon).
At least they appear to have made up in the end, unfortunate that Lee had to be in a terminal state before it happened.
That’s music management for you!

Blizzard of Ozz is one of my favourite rock albums.

Lester..

I didn't know much details before now and glad to hear about his other works...this reminds though how little i knew about the whole music industry...I remember learning about this Osbourne stuff on this (or the previous version) forum when we were talking abou Ozzy once. So many things I have learned here. Unfortunately often I am learning about many artists after they passed. Glad for the info though and plenty to keep learning about.

Lester wrote:

A shame to see Lee Kerslake getting such shabby treatment from the Osbournes (probably Sharon).
At least they appear to have made up in the end, unfortunate that Lee had to be in a terminal state before it happened.
That’s music management for you!

Blizzard of Ozz is one of my favourite rock albums.

Lester..

Yeah, the Arden apple didn't fall far from the tree....    Abominog has been a favourite album of mine since it came out - even just for the cover....

Eddie Van Halen passed away today aged 65.
Poor chap had cancer.
Still remember the debut album from 1978.

Lester wrote:

Eddie Van Halen passed away today aged 65.
Poor chap had cancer.
Still remember the debut album from 1978.

sad sad sad

RIP EVH sad

never was a fan early on, but when Fair Warning came out and I heard that intro to Mean Street I was hooked. That was a very solid and sophisticated release I thought as opposed to their early raw sound  ............ RIP Eddie, you left a profound impact on the way guitar was played even to this day

I remember pi R Squared in math class ............. wait, I know for sure Junior Sample told Grandpa "Pie are round, Cornbread are square"

791 (edited by Lester 2020-10-20 10:56:52)

Spencer Davis, one of rock's elder statesmen, dies aged 81 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54619718

Ben Richards passed yesterday, guitar tech for Eric Gales. We don't know the circumstances but don't think he was all that old. My son got to talk to him quite a bit when we went to the Caverns concert in Tennessee ......... thoughts and prayers go out to Eric and the band, I'm sure they are hurting. RIP Ben, you were an important part of the Gales family