Topic: Oli Brown, "Here I Am"...

OK listen up Everyone...A short time ago I said that Joe Bonamassa's new album called, "Driving Towards The Daylight", was the best Blues/Rock album ever made. I'm not backing down from that statement, but I'm afraid Joe needs to move over a little because there is another album that is just as good! smile The one I'm referring to is called, "Here I Am", and it's by the enormously talented, Oli Brown! Seriously, this is 12 songs of absolute passion with great guitar work by young Oli to match his outstanding voice! Like Joe, Oli begins the album with a story about himself, but unlike Joe's song, "Dislocated Boy", Oli one ups him and uses the title track, "Here I Am", to start the album. Now, Oli is only 23 years old and as I said earlier, he must have gotchas the size of coconuts to lead off with the album title track! wink True, many artists put up first a great song and then after that, the rest of the album fades, but not this one. Song after song equals hit after hit! Three stand out ones for me are as I said, "Here I Am", and also, "Manic Bloom" and "You Can Only Blame Yourself"! There is only one cover song on the entire album and that is, "I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know". However, Oli plays and sings with such passion, you want to stop listening and have yourself a good cry before the song even finishes! The other 11 tracks are all written or co-written by Oli himself. I keep asking myself, at 23 years of age and this being his third album release, how does he do it? My head just shakes back and forth. wink In any case, I don't care where you get it from, but you MUST buy this album. Once you do trust me, you will thank me! : Here's Oli's website where you can order it from...

http://www.oliselectricblues.co.uk/

Enjoy and You will,

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Re: Oli Brown, "Here I Am"...

I've been lucky enough to see Oli a few times and he really is an outstanding young talent. Last time I saw him was a couple of years ago with Joanne Shaw Taylor and Virgil and the Accelerators supporting. How about that for a line up?

Great write up in the latest Blues Review..paraphrased....
Nice write-up about Here I Am in the latest Blues Review magazine "I had the pleasure of seeing the young and upcoming British blues whiz kid years ago at the IBC's.... With each new recording this kid puts out, he keeps showing us why he's going to be a major force in the world of contemporary blues, and blues-rock for years to come. He's an ultra-talented guitarist, a very adept vocalist, and a terrific songwriterfilled with original observations. In a sense, he's Great Britian's answer to Jonny Lang or Kenny Wayne Shepard, and to be sure, he's got every bit of their talent........Guitarist Brown is expertly accompanied throughout this album by fellow Brits (names band members).........Now all he needs is some good booking agents to get his band's music out to prominent blues festivals in the US and Canada " Congrats smile

I think it should be noted that 6 of those songs were written by Ron Sayer Jnr. Something that seems to be missed in reviews. Credit were credit is due.

5 (edited by Greenose 2013-04-02 16:45:56)

mbcl wrote:

I think it should be noted that 6 of those songs were written by Ron Sayer Jnr. Something that seems to be missed in reviews. Credit were credit is due.

A fair point! If you like Oli's album, you must investigate Ron Sayer. He taught Oli how to play, and worked as his bass player for a time: http://www.ronsayer.co.uk

More on this thread: https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?id=20135

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

I'm all for giving Ron every due credit. Having met him and seen him play at the week-end; I can attest that he's a superb singer and player and a really cool guy. I just hope this thread doesn't turn inwards on Oli; granted, he's had some pointers on the way, from Ron and Mike Vernon (on the 2nd album) but he's everything that's said in the review Cathy has posted. If he is turning his attention toward the US and Canada, then for my money, he's a worthy ambassador.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

I'm all for giving Ron every due credit. Having met him and seen him play at the week-end; I can attest that he's a superb singer and player and a really cool guy. I just hope this thread doesn't turn inwards on Oli; granted, he's had some pointers on the way, from Ron and Mike Vernon (on the 2nd album) but he's everything that's said in the review Cathy has posted. If he is turning his attention toward the US and Canada, then for my money, he's a worthy ambassador.

I don't think it will, I was suggesting that those who like Oli may live Ron's work too.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Oli is great, I love the fact that Chris Cain is one of his big influences - not that many people know Cain but he is a hip cat I can tell you that.  I'll check out this album, but it'll probably just get me into a depression since I can't sing for sh$t!

Oli Brown's "Here I Am"...is a very good Cd....I have to thank my buddy Jeff for hooking me up....:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

New "solo" EP coming soon from Oli- check out cool. refurbished website too:
Ep called - Unreleased featuring tracks pre-RavenEye
Album to follow - Unbound
And word of an acoustic album too.
Sounds like Oli’s got a lot give; and we’re gonna get it….

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...