Topic: Top 5 Bass Players

Well, this week on Sirius, they're talking about everyone's top 5 bass players, which again, just like the singers & guitar players, there's several to pick from. Here's who I ended up picking as my top 5:

5. Roger Glover (Deep Purple)
4. Berry Oakley (Allman Brothers)
3. Willie Weeks (Lots of people, including Clapton)
2. Nathan East (Clapton, Phil Collins, etc.)
1. John Entwistle (The Who)

2 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2020-04-20 19:02:00)

Re: Top 5 Bass Players

Top 5 in what?  Genre?  Influence?  Sales?  Range?  Repertoire? Technique?  Scope of catalog?  Your personal favorites?  Usually that last one is what "top" lists are, and that's totally fine.

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, and certainly those are all great, great players.

I'd personally add Victor Wooten and maybe John Patitucci.  Both of those guys are incredible.

Always loved Eric Czar's bass playing with Joe. He must rank up there. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Jaco Pastorius !!

5 (edited by BansheeUK 2020-05-01 04:31:01)

Backed so may emerging RUF artists over the years - Roger Innes

Former WATB's Matt Brooks

Pino Palladino

Herbie Flowers

John Glascock

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Never easy to pick but who comes to mind
Jaco Pastorious
Stanley Clark
John Entwistle
John  Paul Jones   
Chris Squire

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Hah, oh yeah, Jaco.. forgot about that guy!

In the world of metal, I always loved Justin Chancellor from tool - his tone is incredible.  To me, he has the quintessential metal bass tone - thick, heavy, edgy.  Totally works for the style, and IMHO he's a big part of their sound.

I've been listening to a lot of Rush over the last year, so I'd throw a nod to Geddy Lee as well.

It's your top 5 favorites. Not easy, but I figured I'd put it out there.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

Top 5 in what?  Genre?  Influence?  Sales?  Range?  Repertoire? Technique?  Scope of catalog?  Your personal favorites?  Usually that last one is what "top" lists are, and that's totally fine.

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, and certainly those are all great, great players.

I'd personally add Victor Wooten and maybe John Patitucci.  Both of those guys are incredible.

9 (edited by Lester 2020-04-22 03:41:07)

Geddy Lee (on the Rickenbacker) is definitely worth a mention along with Yolanda Charles (Fender Jazz 65/American Pro) who must be one the top female bass players.
At the end of the day it’s all down to personal taste as we all have our favourites.

Lester

Bass lives matter! big_smile

I love Nathan East and Steve Harris (Iron Maiden).

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

11 (edited by PSmith1946 2020-04-22 09:30:05)

Good shout for Steve Harris. And for innovation thee late great Andy Frazer big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

I’ll give Steve Harris a thumbs up.
I’d like to put Gerry McAvoy’s name in the hat as well.

Lester

A few more come to mind:
Oteil Burbridge - solo band, ABB, Dead & Co - really a great player all around

Lee Sklar - studio legend, played on Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" so there you go, I'm not as familiar wtih his body of work but it's enormous... I should probably listen more

Hello All !!! I have been out now for 3 months following successful heart surgery, it is good to be back

Five is a very short list for me, I agree with Victor Wooten as a must. Also Oteil and Jaco (RIP), as well would have Geddy Lee and Stanley Clarke .............. honorable mention for Chris Squire (RIP big guy)

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives