Topic: Elles Bailey

Hmm,  I was just going to slip an album review into the What’s Everyone Listening To? thread, but then it dawned - Elles is in the British Blues Challenge finals, so how come this Bristol lass hasn’t got her own thread - until now? And even if she weren’t; this is one mightily impressive debut album that deserves shouting about, so get your piggy-banks raided for Sept 1st when it gets it’s store release.

The Nashville recorded album kicks off with the title track, Wildfire, heralded by train whistle slide which sets up a steady, rolling rhythm for that trademark smoky soul voice of Elles. Same Flame is more of the same except is built over a spitting riff. What If, a piano led ballad calms things down a little, slight Country flavour and Barrel Of Your Gun picks the guitar back up, but with some swing in the mix. Appropriately titled Perfect Storm follows, building Gospel style and allowing Elles to slip the safety catch off that impressive voice of hers. Building from a rootsy, Resonator riff, Let Me Hear You Scream is another builder that gets under the skin. Slowing down again, Shake It Off is a beautiful Soul/Gospel ballad that segues into the rockin’ Shackles Of Love that’ll fill a few dance floors. Back to ballads, this time more a “power ballad” is Believed In You. The Blues credentials are presented in Howlin’ Wolf, a salute to past Blues legends while Girl Who Owned The Blues comes straight from the heart. Closing the album as a bonus track is Time’s A Healer, tender & expressive.

Recorded in Nashville, obviously there’s a lot of session guys playing on here, Quality session guys; including Grammy Award winner and two-time CMA ‘Musician of the Year’ Brent Mason on guitar, three-time ‘Musician Hall Of Famer’ Bobby Wood on piano, joined by Chris Leuzinger (Garth Brooks) on guitar, Mike Brignardello (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Amy Grant) on bass, Wes Little (Stevie Wonder, Melissa Etheridge) on drums, and even legendary Ivor Novello Award-winning songwriter Roger Cook came on board to help add some extra sparkle. Blended together back in the UK with the likes of Jonny Henderson (Robyn Ford, Matt Schofield) on Hammond organ and Joe Wilkins on blistering guitar, the result is a unique trans-Atlantic coming together of styles. Not sure how this pans out in terms of Elles’ road band, but listening to the album, as a whole, at no time does she sound intimidated or over-awed by the band; this is 12 perfectly formed, high quality tracks any two or three of which would put this down as a good album, but all twelve means it’s damn near perfect.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Elles Bailey

20th Oct - Hartlepool Supporters;

Finally managed to catch Elles on the road at the week-end. Seems a bit strange that it was Wildfire that initially whetted my appetite but it’s the tour for the slightly delayed follow-up album when finally managed to catch her. Still, that’s no complaint as she’s increased her canon of originals to delight the ears with.

Sadly, a bit too much time has elapsed for me to fully remember the set, only that the band were road-hardened and smokin’ and Elles herself was in fine form. Not the biggest of voices of the current crop of blues singing ladies, but great feel and expression. Also worth noting is that Elles brings her style more from Country and Soul, making a very powerful cocktail. And NO Etta or Janis covers, though she did do a tribute number to Janis Joplin.

Great show - well worth catching.

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-11-23 03:26:22)

Elles has just launched the pre-release sale of her sophomore album, The Road I'm On, (featuring the tasty lead-off single Medicine Man) through Pledge Music.

Some tasty package deals up for grabs.

Medecine Man - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7jGKRrAzME

The White House - Ashington  17-6-19

Caught up with Elles last night up at Ashington (THE White House) and if I thought Elles was crackin’ within a band setting, then the (too) short, solo, acoustic set she did raised her to another level again. For all but one of the numbers, she sat behind a keyboard and put her heart into a small collection of songs, principally from Wildfire as well as a debut run through of a brand new write. The power and control in her voice was breath-taking. The only exception to this format was when she picked up an acoustic guitar and took her chair down into the audience for a song with no p.a.
As I said to Elles after the set, that would make a fine E.P….Please…

If anyone is in the Arkansas / Tennessee region in September, you might want to look out for rare appearance in the US (as performer) or our Elles. she has been invited to The House Of Songs songwriting summit in Arkansas in the first week of September and then to play Americana Fest in Nashville 12-14 Sept.

7th Sept - Bentonville AR @ Bike Rack Brew Room
8th Sept - Feyetteville AR @ The Bearded Goat
12th & 13th Sept - Nashville TN @ The Americana Fest Day Party
14th Sept - Nashville TN @ Bootleg BBQ - Groove Records.

Just learnt that Elles’ upcoming show at Gateshead Sage next month has been upgraded from the Northern Rock Foundation Hall (and that’s not exactly a broom closet…) to Sage 2. (Unreserved seating)

Our favourite Clifton chanteusey has just released a [limited]new CD EP - Blacktop Companion….

“‘Blacktop Companion’ features 3 fully produced unheard tracks from the ‘Road I Call Home’ recording session in Nashville, 3 ‘live in the studio’ alt band versions of songs from Road I Call Home, 2 acoustic versions of Miss me when I’m gone and Medicine Man and a cover of Levon Helms ‘When I Go Away’.
Angel From Montgomery
Devil Comes Knocking
When I Go Away (MWS Sessions)
Wild Wild West (MWS Sessions)
Help Somebody (MWS Sessions)
What’s The Matter With you
Medicine Man (Acoustic)
Miss Me When I’m Gone (Acoustic)
Fall Under Your Spell

Speaking of “blacktop”, Elles does still have some dates going ahead; aside from the now limited numbers and early doors, no doubt the same restrictions as in the previous still apply (no selfies, card rather than cash on the merch; but she’ll be chuffed still to see ya…
25 Oct The Hawth Crawley Crawley, United Kingdom
26 Oct 1865 Southampton, United Kingdom
04 Nov The David Evans Court Theatre Tring, United Kingdom
05 Nov The David Evans Court Theatre Tring, United Kingdom
06 Nov Cottingham Civic Hall Cottingham, United Kingdom

BansheeUK wrote:

Our favourite Clifton chanteusey has just released a [limited]new CD EP - Blacktop Companion….

“‘Blacktop Companion’ features 3 fully produced unheard tracks from the ‘Road I Call Home’ recording session in Nashville, 3 ‘live in the studio’ alt band versions of songs from Road I Call Home, 2 acoustic versions of Miss me when I’m gone and Medicine Man and a cover of Levon Helms ‘When I Go Away’.
Angel From Montgomery
Devil Comes Knocking
When I Go Away (MWS Sessions)
Wild Wild West (MWS Sessions)
Help Somebody (MWS Sessions)
What’s The Matter With you
Medicine Man (Acoustic)
Miss Me When I’m Gone (Acoustic)
Fall Under Your Spell

This EP/album arrived on my doormat within 24hrs of posting this; and it is absolutely great. The production overall if anything is a little undercooked but everything is crystal sharp. And Elles really showcases her superb cross-genre vocal style on each take. One of those stunning releases, blink and you've missed it.

Would you believe it, in December Elles is putting out a full album of acoustic covers she and her band did during lockdown. Here's the track list, see if it whets your appetite:- I Remember Everything; Crowded Table; Border Song; You Are Not Alone; 50 ways to Leave Your Lover; Mercy Now; Angel from Montgomery; Love Me Like A Man; Where Did You Sleep Last Night; Way Down In The Hole; When The levee Breaks; Ain't No Love In The Heart of The City; No Mercy In This Land; Spoonful; For What It's Worth; You Can't Judge A Book By It's Cover..

Release date mid-December,  pre-order from site now.

To accompany the above album, which is diamond..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc4Vwafpq9g