Re: R.I.P. Thread

RIP Jim Dunlop
https://www.instagram.com/stories/jimdunlopusa/
https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/our+story.do

"jimdunlopusa
Remembering Jim Dunlop, 1936–2019: Founder of Dunlop Manufacturing and enormously influential innovator of picks, capos, and other guitar accessories, Jim dedicated his life to making it easier and more enjoyable for musicians to express themselves. Driven by a fearless, innovative spirit, he tirelessly sought out ways to improve and expand the options available to players around the world. Today, we remember his contribution to music history."

722 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2019-02-21 16:54:50)

Peter Tork
2/13/1942 - 2/21/2019

The Monkees - Words
https://youtu.be/XJJL-clqdfU (stereohysteria)

maybe manufactured for television ... but a big influence on me as a youngster in developing my strong appreciation ... or really ... need for music ... and comedy ... in my life. smile  (Would spin their Greatest Hits every now and then.)

"Bill Schechner has found one young man to busy for fantasy ... he's living it!"
"Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number and make that a little louder?" Marty DiBergi
Lamarr (bellhop): "We have movie stars in my hotel!" Faye: "They're musicians, actually." Lamarr: "Even better!" (That Thing You Do!)
JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Rest In Peace Joe Hardy. sad

His comment about Joe being like a cat walking on hind legs!  cool

Rock ON & Keep The Analogous Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:

Rest In Peace Joe Hardy. sad

His comment about Joe being like a cat walking on hind legs!  cool

Rock ON & Keep The Analogous Faith,
Rocket

I just watched Bloodline Documentary again... amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E83IhEgP1c

Tribute written by Joe https://www.instagram.com/p/BuK4sJSHFBr/

725 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-03-01 04:36:20)

R.I.P André George Previn, KBE (born Andreas Ludwig Priwin; April 6, 1929 – February 28, 2019)
Not often we go high-brow here, but sad to hear of Andre Previn’s passing He was a German-American pianist, conductor, and composer. Previn won four Academy Awards for his film work and ten Grammy Awards for his recordings (and one more for his Lifetime Achievement).
In 1938, his Jewish family left Berlin and via Paris sailed to New York on October 20 and from there to Los Angeles on November 26. His father’s second cousin Charles Previn, was music director for Universal. André grew up in Los Angeles and became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1943. At Previn’s 1946 graduation from Beverly Hills High School he played a musical duet with Richard M. Sherman; Previn played the piano, accompanying Sherman (who played flute). Coincidentally, both composers won 1964 Oscars for different films, both winning in musical categories.
Previn was nominated for 11 Academy Awards. He won four times, in 1958, 1959, 1963 and 1964. He is one of few composers to have accomplished the feat of winning back-to-back Oscars, and one of only two to have done so on two occasions (the other being Alfred Newman). Previn was the only person in the history of the Academy Awards to receive three nominations in one year (1961). In 1970 he was nominated for a Tony Award as part of Coco’s nomination for Best Musical. In 1977 he became an Honorary Member of the Royal Academy of Music. The 1977 television show Previn and the Pittsburgh was nominated for three Emmy awards.
Previn was appointed an honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1996.(Not being a citizen of a Commonwealth realm, he was permitted to use the post-nominal letters KBE but was not called “Sir André”.) Previn received the Kennedy Center Honors in 1998 in recognition of his contributions to classical music and opera in the United States. In 2005 he was awarded the international Glenn Gould Prize and in 2008 won Gramophone magazine’s Lifetime Achievement Award for his work in classical, film, and jazz music. In 2010, the Recording Academy honoured Previn with a Lifetime Achievement Grammy.
However, for all the plaudits, there’s only one thing that he’ll be best remembered for :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMPEUcVyJsc

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

RIP Katherine Helmond....loved her work especially in SOAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_XS2Pg … gCxjhMZ5F3

Keith Flint lead vocals for Prodigy. Not really my cup of tea but the kids played them all the time growing up. Wish I had a pound for every time I heard Firestarter! big_smile

On the journey of life, I chose the psycho path.
Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir I have tried in my way to be free.
Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Good-bye Big Jeff Jones, The Funky Doctor. I'm not sure how I missed his family
's post about his passing on December 5th. He was quit the character. An early roommate of Carmine's who played a wicked bass himself. I will miss his wit and send my deepest condolences to his family sad

RIP Big Jeff sad !!!
https://forum.jbonamassa.com/profile.php?id=2140

Oh no.  So sorry to hear one of our best Bonabuds is gone.

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzx0pXMGMLQ

https://web.archive.org/web/20141217010 … jones.com/

732 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2019-03-17 20:08:01)

cathysiler wrote:

Good-bye Big Jeff Jones, The Funky Doctor. I'm not sure how I missed his family
's post about his passing on December 5th. He was quit the character. An early roommate of Carmine's who played a wicked bass himself. I will miss his wit and send my deepest condolences to his family sad

Thank you Cathy for posting his passing ... (my condolences to his family.)

I only knew him via his posts here ... and his Avatar ... and must admit ... was a bit intimidated as a Freshman member here ... if I saw a reply to a post I made.   This was more because of his Avatar picture ... with his glasses on ... cool ... but intimidating smile ... than because of his posts.  I always enjoyed seeing his posts in the Actives ... with his musical perspective / history coloring his words.

Thank you Jeff.

"Bill Schechner has found one young man to busy for fantasy ... he's living it!"
"Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number and make that a little louder?" Marty DiBergi
Lamarr (bellhop): "We have movie stars in my hotel!" Faye: "They're musicians, actually." Lamarr: "Even better!" (That Thing You Do!)
JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Oh no!! Big Jeff always had some witty post on the forum, my condolences to his entire family. Im really taken back from this, thanks Cathy for posting.

Rest in Peace BJJ

Bernie Tormé (born Bernard Joseph Tormey; 18 March 1952 – 17 March 2019) R.I.P.

Very sad to have just learned that Irish guitar-slinger passed at the week-end of virulent double pneumonia”.He died on 17 March a day shy of his 67 birthday.
Inspired by the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, and Gary Moore, Tormé formed his first band at a young age. His first paid performance came when Don Harris, a 14-year-old drummer he played alongside when he was 17, secured a gig at the local Girl Guides’ dance in Kilmainham in Dublin. Tormé then played in Dublin band The Urge in the early 1970s before relocating to London in 1974, where he initially played with heavy rockers Scrapyard, whose bass player, John McCoy would later be re-united with Tormé in Gillan. Inspired by England’s burgeoning mid-1970s punk rock scene, Tormé formed the Bernie Tormé Band in 1976. With this group, Tormé toured with successful groups of that period such as The Boomtown Rats and Billy Idol’s Generation X, among many others. Tormé later revealed that his band secured the supporting slot with the Boomtown Rats by agreeing to go around London putting up posters advertising the tour.
Frustrated by a lack of commercial success, Tormé accepted the invitation of former Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillan in 1979 to join his band Gillan. Over the next four years, Gillan enjoyed three Top Ten UK albums (Mr. Universe, Glory Road, and Future Shock), in addition to extensive worldwide tours of Europe, Japan, and the United States.
In 1981 Tormé left Gillan, citing frustration over a lack of money despite the success the band was seeing. He was replaced by guitarist Janick Gers. He played as a live session man for Atomic Rooster and was hired in March 1982 by Jet Records to replace the recently deceased Randy Rhoads in Ozzy Osbourne’s band. Tormé flew from England to Los Angeles with the promise that the job was his, even being paid an advance by Jet before leaving England. Though Osbourne had already settled on Robert Sarzo to replace Rhoads, he was forced to abide by the record company’s decision and Tormé began rehearsing with the band. After only a handful of shows it became apparent that Tormé‘s bluesy style was not a good match for Osbourne’s brand of heavy metal, and he elected to return to England to continue work on a solo album. He was quickly replaced by Brad Gillis and the tour continued.

Beginning in 1982 Tormé led his own band under various names and lineups (including a version of Torme with singer Phil Lewis, formerly of Girl and later with LA Guns).  Tormé spent several years with the band Desperado with former Twisted Sister singer Dee Snider. Although the record saw limited release, Snider re-used a number of the songs for a subsequent project, Widowmaker (not to be confused with the 1970s English band of the same name). Tormé also played guitar on René Berg’s solo album, The Leather, The Loneliness And Your Dark Eyes, released in 1992. In addition to the continued release of new Tormé recordings and re-issuance of his back catalogue titles, Tormé also became involved with the ‘Silver’ project, which also included former Michael Schenker Group vocalist Gary Barden.
In 2006, Tormé announced the formation of Guy McCoy Tormé (aka “G.M.T”), with former Gillan bassist John McCoy and drummer Robin Guy. In 2007, Tormé contributed lead guitar and sitar parts to “Smile In Denial”, track #4 of Yoni, a solo album from Wildhearts frontman Ginger.
Of pertinent interest on the form, Bernie was the producer of Ben Poole’s debut EP Everything I Want.
Bernie had only recently release his latest album ‘Shadowland’, featuring drummer Mik Gaffney (The Last Resort) and Sy Morton on bass in November 2018 after which the trio was planning on heading out on Bernie’s ‘Final Fling’ tour starting on November 22nd. This was to be a final tour due to the pain of 40years wear & tear on his body though he did plan to continue recording. Sadly Shadowland is his swan-song.

735 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-03-25 10:33:56)

And posted by my colleague on the AL Forum:-

The British Blues scene lost two lovely people this week:-
Dave Raven
Dave started out as a DJ in Newcastle under the name Dave the Rave and progressed through the ranks to working for the Forces Radio. I personally liked his Youtube where he would invite blues artists to do a session on his boat on the Thames.
He’ll be missed by all of his fellow broadcasters, not only for his show, but for his work with the IBBA and UK Blues Federation, and also by his listeners around the world and musicians in the blues family. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.’’
Dave’s involvement with the UKBlues Federation of which he was a founding Board member and Treasurer, was hugely influential and important to the Federation and played no small part in the UKBlues Federation being the organisation it is today, less than four years after it was created.

Jules Fothergill
A member of the Northsyde Blues Band, I will just leave these kind words from Mr Alan Bates here
"Saying goodbye to a loved one is always a difficult affair and yesterday was no different. Yes there were tears and sorrow as we bid a beautiful man farewell, but there was also much love and joy at being part of a very special community. One is always reserved on these occasions, particularly when the man that has left us was taken so young and the feeling of loss is so great. But come the day, come the man and when that man is of the calibre of Alex Fothergill reality will be checked. Whilst his many stories of growing up with his kid brother left us all thoroughly entertained, his summary of how Jules wanted us to approach life in the aftermath was so pertinent. Live life to the full, do not be sad and seek out all those nuggets of happiness that lay around us and we all take for granted. How typically Jules that was. Even in his darkest hours he cared about US. Those that would be here after his passing, those that still had the opportunity to live and hug those they loved and those who just don’t know how bloody luck they are.
Oh and he also wanted us to get checked out for the evil YOUCANTSAYTHATHERE of a disease that took this wonderful boy from us all. So, if you’ve got that niggle you cannot explain, or there are other tell tell signs you are ignoring, get it sorted; we have been told.
So today is a new day. The first day of a new life where friends and families will start again without this beautiful man in our lives. So let’s live it and live it to the full. Let’s grasp every opportunity we can with both hands and let’s do it with gusto. Oh and while we are doing it, let’s Shine, Shine, Shine…....he’d have liked that.
RIP mate x"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2RU6-WHLIU

And on the evening this was posted;

Johnnie Dickinson
It never got closer to home then on Friday night, when the sad news of Johnnies passing spread over the internet and to every corner of the North East. I was in the Cluny when I was told, Jonnnie’s died; the words that passed people’s lips before anything else.
You might not know the name, but in the North East he was the God Father of blues slide .
Severe illness (9 mths in the ICU) dogged his later years, but he was still revered in the highest of guitar circles.
Good night Johnnie x
Black Jack Davy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka5tw3T1AKQ

A very sad week for this little Blues corner

Scott Walker (Jan 1943 - March 2019) R.I.P.
News is just breaking of the death of one of the great voices of contemporary music, The Walker Brothers star Scott Walker has died aged 76, his record label said.
The US pop trio enjoyed hits like The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore and Make It Easy On Yourself in the 1960s. The band moved to Britain and at one point their fame in their adopted country rivalled that of The Beatles.
Record label 4AD said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Scott Walker.
“Scott was 76 years old and is survived by his daughter, Lee, his granddaughter, Emmi-Lee, and his partner, Beverly.
“For half a century, the genius of the man born Noel Scott Engel has enriched the lives of thousands, first as one third of The Walker Brothers, and later as a solo artist, producer and composer of uncompromising originality.
“Scott Walker has been a unique and challenging titan at the forefront of British music, audacious and questioning, he has produced works that dare to explore human vulnerability and the godless darkness encircling it.”
Walker, who was born in the US, began his career as a session bassist, changing his name when he joined The Walker Brothers.
He later shunned the limelight and released solo albums including Scott, Scott 2, Scott 3 and Scott 4.
In the 1970s The Walker Brothers reunited for their last album together.
In 2017, Scott’s music was celebrated with a Proms concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall.

Listened to some of Scott Walker and remember his two big hits from the Sixties. A very talented singer who influenced people like David Bowie.
A once crowded room has thinned considerably.

R.I.P. Andreas Nikolaus "Niki" Lauda 1949 - 2019
Three-time Formula One world champion (1975, 1977 & 1984) and still ranks 9th in the table of most F1 wins (25) Niki Lauda has died at the age of 70.
The former racing driver "passed away peacefully", his family said on Monday in a statement reported by the Austria Press Agency.