1 (edited by gary 2018-09-29 20:44:34)

Topic: Josh Smith Burn to Grow

Joes buddy has realeased his new album.
This one features horns more prominately
Some blues and defintatley a lot of soul ( Curby take  note)
  A few tracks really shine where he combines his stinging guitar with the horn section.There are several more laid back soul songs as well.
  For me a mixed bag.But still a very good album with checking out.
Not the same Hendrix style guitar as the Over My Head Album. but a fine album with some great blues and soul.
  A mix of both. I tend to like the guitar and up tempo tracks so that’s where my tastes are.I can appreciate the quality of the more low key soul though.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Re: Josh Smith Burn to Grow

I've been listening to Josh's music for some time.  Really loved his first album I'm Gonna Be Ready and cherry picked a couple songs off his Jazz album Still last year.  This new one sounds really good.  Josh is a very gifted guitarist as Joe already knows.

Listening to "Charlie's Ray" at the moment.  Good wine drinking Jazz,  Thanks Gary, I will be getting the new album and won't be disappointed.  Looking forwars to Ian Parker's new album too.  A very underrated guitarist/musician.

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-01-22 08:09:31)

Hey Gary & Curby;
If we're talking the same guy (there's 3 listed on my sources...)
Josh Smith has established himself as one of the most versatile guitarists in blues music today. A South Florida native, Smith's love for the guitar began at an early age and his varying influences, including B.B. King and Muddy Waters, are reflected in the music he creates.
Currently based in Los Angeles, Josh Smith's amazing talent on the six-string has turned many heads in the music industry, leading to session work and touring nationally and internationally with various recording artists, including Ricky Fante, Benny Cassette, Kelley Hunt, 2006 American Idol winner Taylor Hicks and Grammy Award-winning artist/producer Raphael Saadiq.

He's heading round the UK in March, including a new place I've found, slightly out the way, but so far their gig roster is outstanding - White House (Unique) Social Club in Ashington.

Josh's UK gigs:-March 2019
Mar11 Ashington - White House Social Club
Mar12 Sheffield - The Greystones
Mar13 Oxford - The Bullingdon
Mar14 Derby - Flower Pot
Mar16 Worthing - Worthing Pier
Mar19 Whitstable - The Duke Of Cumberland
Mar21 Stoke-on-Trent - The Bulls Head Alton
Mar24 Bristol Jazz & Blues Festival 2019: Bristol - Bristol SU Live
Mar24 Sun Blistering Blues Guitar Masterclass: Bristol - Bristol SU Live
Mar25 Southampton  - The Brook
Mar26 London - The Borderline

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

Hey Gary & Curby;
If we're talking the same guy (there's 3 listed on my sources...)
Josh Smith has established himself as one of the most versatile guitarists in blues music today. A South Florida native, Smith's love for the guitar began at an early age and his varying influences, including B.B. King and Muddy Waters, are reflected in the music he creates.
Currently based in Los Angeles, Josh Smith's amazing talent on the six-string has turned many heads in the music industry, leading to session work and touring nationally and internationally with various recording artists, including Ricky Fante, Benny Cassette, Kelley Hunt, 2006 American Idol winner Taylor Hicks and Grammy Award-winning artist/producer Raphael Saadiq.

He's heading round the UK in March, including a new place I've found, slightly out the way, but so far their gig roster is outstanding - White House (Unique) Social Club in Ashington.

Josh's UK gigs:-March 2019
Mar11 Ashington - White House Social Club
Mar12 Sheffield - The Greystones
Mar13 Oxford - The Bullingdon
Mar14 Derby - Flower Pot
Mar16 Worthing - Worthing Pier
Mar19 Whitstable - The Duke Of Cumberland
Mar21 Stoke-on-Trent - The Bulls Head Alton
Mar24 Bristol Jazz & Blues Festival 2019: Bristol - Bristol SU Live
Mar24 Sun Blistering Blues Guitar Masterclass: Bristol - Bristol SU Live
Mar25 Southampton  - The Brook
Mar26 London - The Borderline

You got the right one !!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Didn't get to the Ashington gig on Monday, but reports from friends who did, "Josh was The Business".

Fingers crossed, next time round.

I'm pretty sure that  Josh has a new album inn the pipeline, but I'll stick  with this thread as it's the most current under his name...

Josh is back in the UK this Autumn (Fall, to you colonials...)
October 2020
Oct19 Mon  Sheffield, The Greystones
Oct20 Tue  Witney, Fat Lil's
Oct25 Sun  Edinburgh, Bannerman's Bar (and The Underworld)
Oct26 Mon  Ashington, White House Social Club
Oct27 Tue  Leicester, The Musician
Oct29 Thu  Brighton, Komedia
November 2020
Nov01 Sun  Josh Smith + Greg Koch  Whitstable, The Duke Of Cumberland
Nov02 Mon  Guildford, The Star Inn