Topic: Got new strings - Went from 10's to 11's...minor issues

So I decided to switch over from 10-46 to 11-48 -- Ernie Ball Power Slinky, purple package. Now on my Les Paul, the notes seem to die out on the high end when I bend on the high E. I've heard that that normally happens when the action is too low. So I raised it, it seems to have solved the issue, but now the action is almost uncomfortably high. Do I maybe have to just play it in? Or could it need re-fretted? They do seem a little worn down.

The 11's seem to be alright on my other guitars -- they're actually great.

For perspective, and if anyone sees this as an easy-to-fix issue, I'm just a senior in High School, so I don't know that much about setting up guitars apart from how to set action, change strings, adjust the tension rod and pickups, etc. So, of course, I'm open to learning.

Re: Got new strings - Went from 10's to 11's...minor issues

As someone who still doesn't know which end of a guitar to blow down just a suggestion - move this onto the Guitars, Amps & gear topic - sure to get loads of advice there....

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Joe's action on his guitar would be considered high for most guitarists.

although Joe states his neck is almost dead straight, you may need a truss rod adjustment for you guitar.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Will do, thanks for the tip.

BansheeUK wrote:

As someone who still doesn't know which end of a guitar to blow down just a suggestion - move this onto the Guitars, Amps & gear topic - sure to get loads of advice there....

Not sure if you're still having issues but I would 2nd the truss rod adjustment. Just remember a little goes a long way so don't go crazy with that screw, small 1/8' turns can make a lot of difference. Also make sure the intonation is set.