Topic: Stoney Broke

26th August - The Quakerhouse; Darlington

So, is 5pm late afternoon or early evening? That’s the only question I have after spending a couple of hours watching a full acoustic gig at Darlington Quakerhouse by Stoney Broke, easily the best full acoustic I’ve been to since Josh Doyle swung by a couple of years ago; And I recommend you check out Josh to know the yardstick I’m using.
Anyway, this is about Stoney Broke, and a captivating 2 hours of self penned oldies and newbies breezed through so effortlessly, even the lad himself missed his mid-point break. Not easy to pick out a particular favourite from the originals but Sticky Situation, Castles, The Curse, Love Song & Nothin’ But The Truth are up there. These are peppered with a few, well-chosen covers, little touch of Leadbelly (As The Crow Flies), stripping back Quo’s Caroline to some rootsy blues, and even giving Etta James a John Lee Hooker work-over and to end with, a mach-up medely that started California Dreaming and got to Hey Joe via All Round The Watchtower.
Excellent strong voice, not overpowering, but never flickered over a 2 hour set, lively guitar, especially over the looping and loved the lap-jack work (which I’m always a sucker for).
Missed Stoney Broke’s last couple of visits to the area earlier this year, so I was determined not to miss one, especially being a full-set, and glad I made the effort. Just don’t be like Josh and make us wait 3 years between visits (though to be fair, he has to travel from Tennessee….).

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Stoney Broke

All I have access to is an EP titled If It Ain't Broke.  I agree he's a great guitarist with a better than average voice.

Curby wrote:

All I have access to is an EP titled If It Ain't Broke.  I agree he's a great guitarist with a better than average voice.

Yeah, that's all that is available commercially though he does still do older songs he hasn't formally recorded; yet, though he's currently working & recording a debut full album.
Check his YouTube channel as there's some cracking video recorded back in the Spring at Sedgefield Blues Club (one of my locals).

Young Stoney's rollin'...….   Sorry, couldn't resist...

18 Jan Live at Kinmount Hotel, Dumfries Carrutherstown,
26 Jan Live at Big Burns Supper, festival Hub Dumfries,
03 Feb Big Burns Supper at The Coach and Horses, Dumfries Dumfries,
05 Apr Live at Barrels Ale House, Berwick Berwick-upon-tweed,
21 Apr Live at The Quakerhouse Darlington,
26 Apr Live at Bannerman's Bar, Edinburgh (Supporting Mike Tramp) Edinburgh,
28 Apr Live at Honey Bees Blues Club, Sheffield Sheffield, United Kingdom

21st April - The Quaker House; Darlington

Apparently one of the hottest Easter Sundays for something like 70 years it’s claimed on the radio; so how to spend the afternoon around the doors….

Well, Darlington Market Place looked to be holding an Easter fair, rides and such with sub-sonic bass woofers barking tones guaranteed to vibrate the stoutest livers into pate… Or, take a walk just off the Market Place. down Mechanics Yard to The Quaker House where they serve hand-crafted beers & ales that have a similar effect on the liver, just at a more genteel pace, and take in the sounds of the “Borders Balladeer” Stoney Broke as the afternoon shadows begin to lengthen…

“Borders balladeer”? I know, doesn’t do full justice but it’s the best alliteration I could manage on the spur. For my money Stoney Broke is likely one of the best acoustic acts on the road at the moment, certainly one of the “must sees” if this show again goes to prove. This time, extending the repertoire with a Ry Cooder cover as well as Peter Green’s Man of The World and re-visiting his early song catalogue and giving a couple of songs a new polish and twist. And as if that’s not enough, a couple of “Easter eggs” in the form of songs being debuted on this mini-tour. Even his single Got It from late last year got an airing - and a good plug for JJJ4…

Thing about Stoney Broke, he’s world-travelled but not world-weary so there is a little bright-eyed wonder to be found, if you know where to look - Yes; Greggs do close, on Easter Sunday… He’s able to build, and hold a easy rapport with his audience and it was interesting to note that once he’d found his pace a lot of casual passers-by cutting down the alley at the side of the pub, were held at the open door by the captivating sounds from the stage.

Yep, the best was to spend a lazy, sunny Sunday afternoon…. by far…

BansheeUK wrote:

21st April - The Quaker House; Darlington

Apparently one of the hottest Easter Sundays for something like 70 years it’s claimed on the radio; so how to spend the afternoon around the doors….

Well, Darlington Market Place looked to be holding an Easter fair, rides and such with sub-sonic bass woofers barking tones guaranteed to vibrate the stoutest livers into pate… Or, take a walk just off the Market Place. down Mechanics Yard to The Quaker House where they serve hand-crafted beers & ales that have a similar effect on the liver, just at a more genteel pace, and take in the sounds of the “Borders Balladeer” Stoney Broke as the afternoon shadows begin to lengthen…

“Borders balladeer”? I know, doesn’t do full justice but it’s the best alliteration I could manage on the spur. For my money Stoney Broke is likely one of the best acoustic acts on the road at the moment, certainly one of the “must sees” if this show again goes to prove. This time, extending the repertoire with a Ry Cooder cover as well as Peter Green’s Man of The World and re-visiting his early song catalogue and giving a couple of songs a new polish and twist. And as if that’s not enough, a couple of “Easter eggs” in the form of songs being debuted on this mini-tour. Even his single Got It from late last year got an airing - and a good plug for JJJ4…

Thing about Stoney Broke, he’s world-travelled but not world-weary so there is a little bright-eyed wonder to be found, if you know where to look - Yes; Greggs do close, on Easter Sunday… He’s able to build, and hold a easy rapport with his audience and it was interesting to note that once he’d found his pace a lot of casual passers-by cutting down the alley at the side of the pub, were held at the open door by the captivating sounds from the stage.

Yep, the best was to spend a lazy, sunny Sunday afternoon…. by far…

Picked up "Got It" and like it a lot.  There's a nice electric solo on it.

7 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-04-25 09:16:48)

Yeah; he certainly knows his way around a fretboard, generally acoustic in his shows through he does have a lap-steel that he uses on a couple of numbers.

If you haven't already, it's worth keeping a regular eye on Stoney Broke's YouTube channel; very 2nd Wednesday he's uploading video of songs,  old, new and covers.  So far:-

Every Woman I Know - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8dY1fZA8So
Love Song (new version) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pj-nvjVZqU
Southern Cross to Glasgow Central - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX3yXwjbWUI
Got It - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA1yF1CeoUA
Caroline - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JGMkCd-SGs
I'll be Gone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92_HMKAJK8
Added today (25/4/19)
Castles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0AAzRgrcic

A segment of Stoney Broke's Darlington session (Sunday 21st April)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jC3lztZYiU

"Stoney" will be playing at Nice an' Sleazy, Glasgow tonight as special  guest of Felix Rabin...