Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

Rockfarmer wrote:
dsproule wrote:

I personally felt sad that Joe has diverged from what we grew up on.  I will always love Joe.   But I hope someday he gets back to why I became a fan in the first place.


100% where I am on this.  I've been a big fan for 10+ years and I'll always be grateful for what Joe's music did for me through some tough times.  If he ever goes back to what made me a fan in the first place I'm in but for now... I'll spend my $$ of KWS, EJ, EG, etc.

Gary Hoey!

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

I just saw this RickB post on fb fun page - so on point. I am reposting it here - RickB hope you don't mind

"Rick Beck: Joe is spreading his wings while pacing himself is my feeling. I think the slow blues became boring to him. He quit power trio when it began to grind him down and he could take a breather mid song while keys piced it up. He said that then. I’ve seen him a lot more than most, including his side shots into Rock with BCC and retro Jazz Funk with RCFP. It was eye-opening to see him play for the sheer joy of letting it rip with equals in a funky dive bar with just a few watching, or kicking it as a sideman mostly instead of paying the bills to keep it going. If some dislike the new direction you should have seen the uproar when BCC came out as an encore for his show in Riverside and Glenn Hughes fronted! A lot of fans turned their backs and walked away then. Now he’s hanging with the Nashville cats so much he got a house there. Here comes a Country mini-tour that has a lot of fans passing, but the shows all are 95% sellouts well in advance. Try and get a ticket. If you can’t hang with his changes, others will be attracted. Keeping it a commercial success is job one and he’s got lots of competition, so hang on, it might get bumpy. I’m not ruling anything out, and I’ll be there."

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

Impressions from yesterday show: love, love, love horns and back up singers. Awesome solos from Paulie Cerra and Lee Thornburg, perfect singing from Jade Macrae and Juanita Tippins, I didn't feel they were overpowering Joe's voice at all, it was the opposite - they were complimenting it, giving a nice female flare to the songs.

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

reo l wrote:

I just saw this RickB post on fb fun page - so on point. I am reposting it here - RickB hope you don't mind

"Rick Beck: Joe is spreading his wings while pacing himself is my feeling. I think the slow blues became boring to him. He quit power trio when it began to grind him down and he could take a breather mid song while keys piced it up. He said that then. I’ve seen him a lot more than most, including his side shots into Rock with BCC and retro Jazz Funk with RCFP. It was eye-opening to see him play for the sheer joy of letting it rip with equals in a funky dive bar with just a few watching, or kicking it as a sideman mostly instead of paying the bills to keep it going. If some dislike the new direction you should have seen the uproar when BCC came out as an encore for his show in Riverside and Glenn Hughes fronted! A lot of fans turned their backs and walked away then. Now he’s hanging with the Nashville cats so much he got a house there. Here comes a Country mini-tour that has a lot of fans passing, but the shows all are 95% sellouts well in advance. Try and get a ticket. If you can’t hang with his changes, others will be attracted. Keeping it a commercial success is job one and he’s got lots of competition, so hang on, it might get bumpy. I’m not ruling anything out, and I’ll be there."

No problemo. My nsho. Longevity is the toughest thing to maintain in the entertainment world. He’s still hanging when many others are dim memories. Something’s working.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

Just if we want guitar solos, the horns , keys backup singers fill where Joe could solo.

Yes they give him "breathing " time

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

DougH wrote:

Just if we want guitar solos, the horns , keys backup singers fill where Joe could solo.

Yes they give him "breathing " time

I would say he probably needs the break.
Given the “miles”

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

61 (edited by daryljohnson60 2018-05-12 22:20:31)

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

Only my second post, but anyone performing at Joe's level has to have different feelings as the years go by. Anything that he feels adds to his enjoyment of his performances will only make him better, if that's even possible, at conveying what he's feeling at the time. Top performers do different things as time goes on. Maybe he's bored with just kicking it every night. They say that it can be lonely at the top, and Joe is certainly at the top of his profession. He always looks like he's having a great time on stage with other guitarists too. The show with Brian Setzer is a good example. Joe will add in a few fills while the other guy is wailing, but his smiles and stage etiquette show that he likes to have friends on the stage. It would be less fun for me without Reese nailing it on his piano. Time will tell.

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

Post inspired by today's Monday night blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … Ci8x142Uy0

I saw Derek Trucks lust summer at the music festival. Never seen him before or listened to more than  few songs of his on youtube. It was a big crowd of his fans there. I always talk to strangers when I am exited, so I talked to many of his fans.  Told them it was my first time seeing him live. They told me : just wait and be prepared to be blown away. I made sure to make it right next to the stage, by the rails.
Thoughts: he had a big band with him. They all were an excellent musicians. First time for me hearing them also and it was a top professional performance. Very, very good. But. It is always a BUT... haha. It was a great concert. They played for almost 2 hours. Susan was very good and heart warming. But... it was this 5 minutes of Derek playing just by himself, solo, that made me understand what his fans were talking about. It was great and so above the ordinary life and wonderful. One can't do it every time for every concert for more then five minutes and stay alive and healthy. Thus the band and the Susan.

PS. will I go see him again? Yes. But only if he is playing in my city (he will most likely have his band with him). But... it is always a but. .. if i will ever hear that he is going to play by himself or have just 2 musicians with him - oh, I will drive hours for that. So. Not a fan but a big fan of Derek Trucks.
I rest my case.

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

So reo It sounds like that’s a vote for  ditch the horns?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

gary wrote:

So reo It sounds like that’s a vote for  ditch the horns?

Yes. For Derek smile

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

I saw Buddy Guy in April,
82 yrs old, still touring hard (Joe says hes retiring at age 60 or 62).
Doesnt have horns or backup singers.

Stands and chats a lot, (he is 82 with lots of stories)
but still slings his guitar most of the night.

He even comes off the stage playing   , up the isle, into the lobby, down the other isle and back on stage.
Even has people in the audience strum the guitar while he plays...

Did I say he was 82?

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

Just watched the Stones last Saturday and the energy for their ages was incredible especially that displayed by Mick Jagger who danced for two hours. I retired about 11 yrs ago. I lasted 6 weeks before finding a job. Have no intent on retiring any time soon. It keeps you young. Only make the decision when you are sure. big_smile

On the journey of life, I chose the psycho path.
Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir I have tried in my way to be free.
Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

PSmith1946 wrote:

Just watched the Stones last Saturday and the energy for their ages was incredible especially that displayed by Mick Jagger who danced for two hours. I retired about 11 yrs ago. I lasted 6 weeks before finding a job. Have no intent on retiring any time soon. It keeps you young. Only make the decision when you are sure. big_smile

Well like the song says you got to move like Jagger!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

68 (edited by telesquire 2018-06-13 08:24:41)

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

It's the same for any artist, there seems to be a group of 'fans' who expect them to keep everything the same. You're living in the past guys, move on and grow with the artist. You've got the old cd's and dvd's so you want to hear the trio then listen to those. Sure I loved the early years, small venues and old songs but you can't stay the same especially if you are the guy up there on stage playing it for 250 nights of the year.....it would drive you insane.
Personally I enjoy following an artist from the start and enjoying the ride. I'm happy for Joe that he has managed to move on from being expected to play Mountain Time every gig. The chance to play with such great musicians is what helps an artist grow, and that is what Joe has done. You need to enjoy it up there for two hours every night or it will show and sound jaded. That is why there is so much energy in Joe's gigs, he's feeding off those guys and really FEELING it!
Buddy guy god bless him has being doing the same show for the last three decades, it works for him but he's not Joe. KWS seems to have had the same setlist for the last 20 plus years too, I've seen it...boring...pass. I stopped seeing the Stones about 20 years ago, same show different stage set. Pass.....move on, nothing new to see.
Would love to see the 'country' gigs, what a hoot. I'd like an all guitar no vocals record/tour too. Variety is the spice of life after all. Thanks.

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

very well said.....
I personally think its ok to expect him to play Mountain Time each gig but not Sloe Gin big_smile
just because Mountain Time is that song for me...and alot of artists keep one even if they switch everything else up
but yes overall i want to know Joe is doing it how he wants - and what keeps him wanting to do it!
i'll keep supporting! I like to think feedback is appreciated also though even if its not always from a well thought through or maybe in my case a selfish place. We wouldn't have this forum if it wasn't, I don't think.

(and not to go to off topic, your KWS point was valid up until last year....one of his best albums IMHO...can not wait to see him live with some of those songs!!!! but also i have always enjoyed every same setlist show KWS's band has performed for me. never a snoozer in there imo)

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

I know I'm in the minority but when an artist I like releases a new record and I go see them live, I am always wishing that they would play all the new tracks. In fact I'd be more than happy if they played the new record in its entirety. Mainly because that's how I listen to music, I don't just play a fave track but instead listen to an album all the way through. I never use the random or shuffle facility.

71 (edited by Jane H. 2018-06-13 13:19:10)

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

I don't think that I have ever wanted an artist to play the whole album in its entirety at a show but i don't often get to see artists inbetween releases either. And frankly , for me, there are not a ton of albums I care to hear all the songs of. Not that I wouldn't go to that kind of show for the right artist.....but it does bring to mind the very very many Joe studio released songs I have never heard live and have long desired to. and the songs he keeps playing for years and years when there are others. I know some don't lend themselves to live performance and I know Joe has a level of quality he likes to ensure so some songs don't make the cut or stay...
For instance how come no playing his cover of Long Distance Blues?????? and I typically don't care for that style of blues song but for the number of times he played similarish songs with similarish solos, why not switch it up?
I don't need it or need to know but I hope he knows i have preferences but still support his choices. Sometimes in the past, i can't think of exact details but sometimes hearing some of the stuff Joe says in interviews etc. or even when he contributed words here more regularly, I dunno sometimes i got the impression he needed to hear more opinions. As strange as that sounds...what i mean is some of it depends on who has his ear i think and well...its not always a representative portion of the fans IDK. i think he is tuned in as much as he can but the circumstances simply are he doesn't hear from as wide a variety of his fans as he did back when he was more accessible here and after shows. I mean i know he has many many more fans and many comment in other places but its hard to sort through that stuff on social media i think...i dunno
of course i would love to hear SILT or Blues of Desperation in entirety...would pay double! big_smile

-Sista Jane - full of contradiction...sorry i know i am rambling....

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

telesquire wrote:

It's the same for any artist, there seems to be a group of 'fans' who expect them to keep everything the same. You're living in the past guys, move on and grow with the artist. You've got the old cd's and dvd's so you want to hear the trio then listen to those. Sure I loved the early years, small venues and old songs but you can't stay the same especially if you are the guy up there on stage playing it for 250 nights of the year.....it would drive you insane.
Personally I enjoy following an artist from the start and enjoying the ride. I'm happy for Joe that he has managed to move on from being expected to play Mountain Time every gig. The chance to play with such great musicians is what helps an artist grow, and that is what Joe has done. You need to enjoy it up there for two hours every night or it will show and sound jaded. That is why there is so much energy in Joe's gigs, he's feeding off those guys and really FEELING it!
Buddy guy god bless him has being doing the same show for the last three decades, it works for him but he's not Joe. KWS seems to have had the same setlist for the last 20 plus years too, I've seen it...boring...pass. I stopped seeing the Stones about 20 years ago, same show different stage set. Pass.....move on, nothing new to see.
Would love to see the 'country' gigs, what a hoot. I'd like an all guitar no vocals record/tour too. Variety is the spice of life after all. Thanks.

Personally I just wish Clapton would ditch the whole bang idea and go back to the power trio that served him so well in his Cream days.... [/joking]

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Dunlop Bonamassa Wah, Ceriatone Centura, Way Huge Green Rhino MkIV, Fire Custom Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville