Topic: Joe's Fender 1959 JB Twin setting for a one amp club show

Can anyone here access these or does someone already know them?  I used my JB twin with Joe's suggested settings at a club room soundcheck and it was way, way too loud. I love loud but this wasn't useable for me.  I assume he runs it about 4-6 and ups the gain on the Doubleland Special, but I'd like to know what he does.  For reference I was using the Gibson JB Goldtop Les Paul with the Doubleland set like his. 

To give a frame of reference for the decibel level I had my Fuchs ODS 50 through a Marshall 2-12.  I run to both amps with an A/B/Y switch.  With the ODS set at 2/3 volume is was hard to tell if it was on, with both amps on, unless you put your head directly in the path of the 2-12.  I've been using the Fuchs for the Strats, but wanted to see how it would sound against the Twin.  I had to turn the twin down to 4ish to hear the Fuchs.  I love the Fuchs so I'm not dissing it.  That's just for sound level reference.  My handy iPhone DB meter was at 120 or higher the whole time the twin was on Joe's suggested settings if I was anywhere near the amp. 

Has anyone else used one for club gigs?  I'd be interested in your amp and pedal settings.  As a player I'm stuck with the limited talent I have, but I can always make those bad notes sound sweeter through tone. 

Thanks,

Michael.

Fender CS JB 55 Tele, PRS McCarty 594, Gibson JB Goldtop LP, Gibson JB Tomato Soup LP, 1969 Fender Stratocaster, 1965 Fender Stratocaster, Fender CS 1969 Strat and a 1980s Gibson Custom LP lite. Fender JB Twin, Fender Hand Wire Vibroverb reissue, Kendrick 59 Bassman Handwired clone, Victory tweed HP twin.

Re: Joe's Fender 1959 JB Twin setting for a one amp club show

Just curious, do you use a 'baffle' in front of your amp? I have seen some of the guys who like it pretty loud (like Joe does) put a dummy speaker cab or another amp in front of the 'live' amp instead of a baffle, or even the road case the amp is packed in after the show. Chris Duarte does this quite a lot.

I seem to remember Joe stating 120db in a few video interview

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I don't have a JB Twin (I wish), but I do like to run my amps loud.

Try a Clearsonic baffle in front, cuts down the stage and front of house volume more than you'd expect and also helpa to spread the sound around the room.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Just an update.  Running the amp in the 4-5 range seems to work best for the way I want to use it.  I did replace the 12ax7 in the first position with a 12ay to get less preamp distortion.  It's still very loud but will get nice and cleanish with the volume knob.   Running pedals into a tweed is hit or miss.  My KOT pedal adds too much bass.  The doubleland as one would expect works well as does other tube screamer type pedals that knock off low end.  With all pedals, using Joe's recommended amp settings, I'm running the tone knobs full off as he does.  It's a bright amp at volume.  It's not a versatile amp but it does what it does very well.  I don't play out much any more but if I did it would be a real question as to whether I'd want to someone blackface/fuchs like for a more pristine clean.  I love the amp, and these are the only issues I've had.  Any time I play another amp and come back to it I just fall in love with the tone all over again.  It loves strats and sounds great with the McCarty 594 as well.  With humbuckers I'm keeping the volume knobs at 3-5 unless I want to dial in an assertive lead tone.  Full on is too bright sounding for me.  Unless you are playing a lot of really loud clean sounds, some SRV for example, this amp could be the only amp you need.  I'll try recording some sounds soon.  FYI I own a Kendrick 59 hand wired bassman clone and the two amps are very distinct sounding. A tweed is not a tweed like other tweeds for all purposes.

Fender CS JB 55 Tele, PRS McCarty 594, Gibson JB Goldtop LP, Gibson JB Tomato Soup LP, 1969 Fender Stratocaster, 1965 Fender Stratocaster, Fender CS 1969 Strat and a 1980s Gibson Custom LP lite. Fender JB Twin, Fender Hand Wire Vibroverb reissue, Kendrick 59 Bassman Handwired clone, Victory tweed HP twin.