Re: The Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 1958 "Amos" Korina Flying-V 2017/2018

DougH wrote:

If I had bought an Amos; Rusty I would have done the same thing with the pickups.

Great song.. But remember
At the end of the song watch out when you lift your V high over your head you don't hit your ceiling

That is good advise, thanks, I'll be careful when I climb up on the stack of amps too....

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

I have one of these coming in a few days. Will probably regret it since I’m a home player that plays sitting down and incorrectly plays along my right leg. Picked it up used from guitar center for a good price used. Pictures showed it practically brand new with padded on the switch and stickers still attached. Where these limited?

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.

Rusty wrote:

I finally got my SD Amos pickups last week, and today I installed them in my Amos V. I'm super happy with the tone of these pickups, and the difference from the stock Epiphone pickups is huge. The guitar also needed quite a bit of set up work, which I enjoy, so that was no big deal. Epiphone frets always seem to be rough with file marks right from the factory. They really could do a much better job in that department. Anyway, I've been playing it for the last hour or so, and I'm really happy I splurged and got the upgraded pickups, now it'll get played a lot more than if I hadn't swapped them out. Just thought I'd share this with you good folks. I've got to go practice "Just Got Paid"

Cheers

Rusty

If they did a better job on anything it would violate the Epiphone business model: cut corners to reduce price. I don't blame them for that, it has worked for years and they even got me to purchase 2 of their guitars a long time ago.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

macg1 wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I finally got my SD Amos pickups last week, and today I installed them in my Amos V. I'm super happy with the tone of these pickups, and the difference from the stock Epiphone pickups is huge. The guitar also needed quite a bit of set up work, which I enjoy, so that was no big deal. Epiphone frets always seem to be rough with file marks right from the factory. They really could do a much better job in that department. Anyway, I've been playing it for the last hour or so, and I'm really happy I splurged and got the upgraded pickups, now it'll get played a lot more than if I hadn't swapped them out. Just thought I'd share this with you good folks. I've got to go practice "Just Got Paid"

Cheers

Rusty

If they did a better job on anything it would violate the Epiphone business model: cut corners to reduce price. I don't blame them for that, it has worked for years and they even got me to purchase 2 of their guitars a long time ago.

Remember Epiphone were once the premium model before they were bought. Just wish they had the Gibson headstock shape which the originals had. In the same way Fender and Squier do. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

PSmith1946 wrote:
macg1 wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Cheers

Rusty

Remember Epiphone were once the premium model before they were bought. Just wish they had the Gibson headstock shape which the originals had. In the same way Fender and Squier do. big_smile

Indeed the pre-gibson era Epiphones are awesome guitars. Even some of the early Gibson owned Epiphones are great, but then in the 70's Epiphone became the greek translation for "regret". I know their Korina V's are decent guitars but then you spend 500-800 dollars upgrading them, then you are in Gibson territory. Again, I don't fault them for the business model, it is what it is.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD

42 (edited by CharlesZ. 2018-07-28 06:26:01)

New Amos owner here!

She's a great guitar.  Great weight, nicely finished frets, high quality PAF low output pickups, great setup from Haggerty's Music in South Dakota.  Very nice case packed with case candy.  No issues right out of the box and after a few hours of playing.

The site is saying I'm not allowed to attach any links or pics or I would post a few photos.

I have no plans on changing anything currently but will keep an open mind and I fiddle around with her.

(edited 7-28-19) I'm able to add links now!  big_smile  Here's my Amos:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1yt4otdc6/

"You know, it's just that people like this... you know... they get all they want so they really don't understand, you know... about a life like Frank's. I mean, when you've loved and lost the way Frank has, then you, uh, you know what life's about."

"How can "less be more"?  It's impossible.  "More" is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

This site has never embedded pictures

You need an imgur.com account and post the link here.
Dont use photobucket any more they dont allow to post pictures

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

44 (edited by CharlesZ. 2018-07-26 16:57:52)

Jane H. wrote:

I think you have to have a certain number of posts as a new user before you can post links in the actual thread. i was able to see your V thru your website pic link though big_smile

Hi Jane.  Yes, I was hoping inquisitive folks would surf over there and check out that link! She really is killer, and not killer for an Epiphone but just killer in general.  And I can't say enough about the folks at Haggerty's in SD who prepped her and safely shipped her out to me.

LOVE your avatar!

"You know, it's just that people like this... you know... they get all they want so they really don't understand, you know... about a life like Frank's. I mean, when you've loved and lost the way Frank has, then you, uh, you know what life's about."

"How can "less be more"?  It's impossible.  "More" is more." - Yngwie Malmsteen

Joe can make anything sound good. It's a feel thing. His tone never disappoints.

Some of that vintage stuff is amazing.

LOL And I do own both a EVH wah and a JB wah. They are voiced differently so  I like that. Although I prefer the EVH one, such a nice sweep!